Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • New telly – what would you do?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Well probably about time to change the 25″ CRT bought in ’96 as it’s got some funny coloured lines spoiling the picture.

So I’m thinking about a 47″ LG LED 3D smart TV – seems to have all the things I might want. But the sound wouldn’t be great so get a sound bar too? Or a surround sound system? But would would be the best way to go about this? This thing seems to give a lot but is it any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-bh6620s-5-1-3d-blu-ray-home-cinema-system-12871946-pdt.html

You can pay more than that for just AV Receiver so what do they give you over what the above does?

jam-bo

Our TV broke a couple of months ago.

Just watch the odd thing on iplayer now instead.

its quite nice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d go to John Lewis for starters.

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah looking at John Lewis but they don’t have the telly I like which is a shame.

the-muffin-man

For everyday listening I just plug a set of these into the headphone socket (assuming it has a headphone socket!)…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-LS21-Stereo-Speaker-System/dp/B0017915WA

They’re better than built in speakers and the sub adds a bit of depth for everyday viewing.

You can still have a surround system, or run through your hi-fi if you want extra WOW!, but for normal viewing you don’t want listen to the newsreader speaking to you from all corners of the room!

mudshark
    Free Member

Hmm I have a couple of beefy speakers on my hi-fi so just output from the telly into my amp – that’ll do for the moment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

pc speakers could be a cheap upgrade.

wallop

47″ is massive!

mudshark
    Free Member

Oh well they have 55″ as well thought 47″ sounded about right for one of these modern things. 42″ better?

johnners
    Free Member

for normal viewing you don’t want listen to the newsreader speaking to you from all corners of the room!

tmm, I think you’ve misunderstood the concept of “Surround Sound”

DezB
    Free Member

If you’re going to get the Blu-Ray with internet apps, you can save money by not getting a “smart” TV.
    My Panasonic Plasma TV is brilliant, but the internet apps are what I paid a premium for and they are pretty naff. You get iPlayer, Lovefilm, Youtube with the LG Blu-ray so wouldn’t need a telly with those features.

47″ is massive!
    Depends on the size/shape of the room! Mines a 46 and I wish it was bigger (missus)

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah but as far as I can see with LG they all seem to have all the features. Kinda sold on LED but maybe plasma would be OK.

wallop

Our has iPlayer and Lovefilm built in – definitely useful.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We just went for a 32″ Samsung 1080p from JL.

Sound I’ve got configured through an AV reciever, but TBH I’d rather have a smaller system plugged into the TV, it’s a ball ache having to flick between 4 remotes to switch between the playstation and sky (playstation remote to switch it off, AV remote to switch to sky, sky remote to swich it on, TV remote to switch input to SCART). I’d just get some 5.1 PC speekers with an optical input from the TV.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

LCD screens still look really artificial to me, in comparison to my plasma which has a nice natural feel to the picture and colours. Maybe it’s just the way tellies are set in the shop though?

porter_jamie

ry richer sounds, they have that tv in with 100 off atm. they also have lots of good surround stuff in too. i bought a new yamaha surround amp, tannoy speakers and a sony bluray player recently to go with my lg telly, and the difference in sound quality from the tv alone is night and day.

LMT
    Free Member

I went for a 43″ plasma in the sales £270 Samsung, non smart, I have TiVo and ps3 so didn’t need the extra smart stuff, best tele I’ve every had, picture quality is just amazing.

I did have to throw my surround sound out, it was old school analogue, hadn’t felt the need to replace as yet, new one has virtual surround sound and that works ok

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I remember paying a grand for our 42″ Samsung just 5 years ago. To see something better for 200 quid now, makes my head hurt.

nealglover
    Free Member

its quite nice.

That’s good.

Is there any other stuff you don’t have an opinion on that you would like to tell us about 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

its quite nice.

i unplugged mine about a year ago to do some works on the house.
    Never plugged it back in. iplayer as you say is ideal. Catchup on the good stuff every so often.

Read tons and listen to radio now. Ironic considering my previous job.

Right, back to the beginning – try and budget for something other than LG. Get a Samsung, Sony or Panasonic if you can.

Markie
    Free Member

We got a 46″. I posted a panicked thread on here when it arrived, worried it was too big. I now wish we’d gone bigger – HD is magnificent!

Don’t think about going smaller, but do consider getting larger!

Oh, and yes, Panasonic all the way!

I don’t get the obsession on here with iPlayer. You’re still watching tv programmes that have already been on BBC – just huddled round a small laptop screen with tinny sound (ok, I know there will be exceptions) mostly it appears to then come on here and laud it about not watching tv.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it’s a ball ache having to flick between 4 remotes to switch between the playstation and sky (playstation remote to switch it off, AV remote to switch to sky, sky remote to swich it on, TV remote to switch input to SCART).

get a logitech harmony remote – you program in the devices and then when you switch activities it takes care of turning all the non-needed boxes off, and turning the needed ones on.

I think you need their adapter for the PS3 though.

br
    Free Member

Screen size ought to be a maximum of 2.5 times the distance from your normal watching position.

And the only problem with the ‘all-in-1’ systems is that you are often limited on inputs/outputs on the unit.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don’t get the obsession on here with iPlayer

It sounds like you’re missing the point. Many of us can watch and remote control iPlayer on the “big telly” without having to go anywhere near a computer. We then get to choose the programmes we want to watch when we want to watch them rather than channel hopping for something interesting. It’s like going for a bike ride where you want when you want rather than being told you have to ride a certain trail at a certain time on a certain day 🙂

Dales_rider
    Free Member

What BR said 2.5, most people with humungous teles cant sit far enough away unless they go outside and watch through the window.
    Internet as well dont forget that, but make sure you dont have to buy a separate dongle or it van be pricey. Sony charge £65

mark90
    Free Member

2.5x – hmmm I could go up to 70″. Was looking at the BIG tele’s in Richer Sounds at the weekend before buying a 42″. Maybe a smaller lounge or moving the sofa closer would be easier/cheaper.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

25inch to 47 is a big jump, probably too much as it implies that you don’t sit too far from the screen, based on your 25inch CRT.

So the 47 will look huge and pretty awful unless you are planning on sitting a lot further away or only planning on watching 1080P content from bluray or similar.

I might suggest that broadcast HD might not be great either, as it is only 720P or 1080i, not 1080P, and so will also require upscaling on a screen of that size.

If you watch a fair amount of SD channels I would limit the size of the set to something on the lower end of those appropriate to your viewing distance, and maybe even to a 720P screen as these seem to display SD better as they have less of a job to do (and mess up) with the upscaling.

I would look at something Panasonic from John Lewis – if you buy it mail order and then decide you have made an awful mistake with the size you should be able to return it under distance selling regs.

My mate has a 42inch Panasonic Plasma and it does have a good picture but is barely acceptable with freeview SD channels (to my eyes) as the seating is only about 10 feet away.

It sounds like you’re missing the point. Many of us can watch and remote control iPlayer on the “big telly” without having to go anywhere near a computer. We then get to choose the programmes we want to watch when we want to watch them rather than channel hopping for something interesting. It’s like going for a bike ride where you want when you want rather than being told you have to ride a certain trail at a certain time on a certain day 

Nah, I totally get iPlayer. Just not those that unplug their tv and only watch iPlayer. By the way, I’d say 50-75% of what we watch on sky is recorded or on demand

Forge_Master
    Free Member

Samsung UE-46 8000
    46″‘s of wonderful picture quality. Combined with a sound bar and it’s fekin ace.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Looking on Wikipedia at those recommended viewing distances, they all look a bit close to me.

Maybe if you have good quality HD content, but for any SD content you really can’t get anywhere near that close.

patriotpro
    Free Member

mudshark – Member
    Oh well they have 55″ as well thought 47″ sounded about right for one of these modern things. 42″ better?

It depends on the size of your room, your seating distance from tele.

My Dad’s 52″ in an average sized living room was too big and it made our eyes sore, I bought one shortly after to fit in a similar size room and it is spot on (sitting opposite corner of the room from the t.v) fore watching tv. The only slight gripe would be that some text is too small when gaming. Having said that my eyesight could be better!

It’s a Panasonic 42″ Plasma btw (about 7 years old) but it still holds it’s own against newer models. (We often get comments from guests about how good a picture it gives).

Coupled with a ‘BOSE’ system to bolster the sound, I couldn’t ask for more and have no plans (or need) to upgrade in the foreseeable future.

In contrast my Mum paid £289 for 42″ LG LCD and it’s picture is terrible, the sound is just as bad and the interface is v.poor.

I’d hazard a guess that a good 50% of folk don’t set their tv up correctly – makes an infinite difference to the viewing experience.

mudshark
    Free Member

25inch to 47 is a big jump, probably too much as it implies that you don’t sit too far from the screen, based on your 25inch CRT.

It’s only that small because back in ’96 that was quite a decent screen – cost me £530 which was big money in those days! A decent Panasonic.

OK so I’ve got my measuring thing out and we have 4.5 metres so that’s OK for 50 – 55 inches right?

What about a TX-P50UT50B? 50″ of Panasonic plasma.

Marko

Panasonic.
    John Lewis.
    Soundbar.

26” CRT went up the spout, so we replaced it with a 37” Panasonic, simply because we had a smaller one in the other room and because they used to be made in Wales so we’ve always had Panasonic TVs. (The latest being number 4).

http://www.johnlewis.com/231546906/Product.aspx

Hth
    Marko

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just replaced a monstrous lump of dysfunctional Phillips TV with a Bush 39″ HD with Freeview.

Definitely connect to the HiFi for extra WOW! You might find, as I did, that your previous cabling arrangement won’t suit the new set due to differently-plugged audio output(s)?

If this is the case, go here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/home.aspx

for your adapter.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PS: The three picture quality choices were rubbish – it took me a while to use the “Personal” setting to achieve a good reproduction (contrast/brightness/sharpness etc)…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

OK so I’ve got my measuring thing out and we have 4.5 metres so that’s OK for 50 – 55 inches right?

you sat 4.5 meters from a 25inch CRT ?

What channels do you normally watch, and can you get them in HD?

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I think that’s what people did in the old days!

I have Virgin TV so that has a few HD channels.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘New telly – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.