Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New telly time, but….
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Which one?
    Been looking at the LG 49S J800 (49″ version) @ £629 at a local TV/Sound shop. Haven’t looked any further just yet though.

What else in that price range?

vongassit
    Free Member

After lots of head spinningly boring cross checking , I opted for the very model you have picked out.

Sony Bravia KD49XE8004 & Panasonic TX50EX700B were other considerations but I thought the LG seemed a better option. Seen it as low as £599 in a few places for short periods.

Still waiting on mine as I bought through a site called flubit, they flubdit all right 👿

seosamh77
    Free Member

kinda 4k content do people actually watch these days? Much of it is about?

frankconway

Richer Sounds and John Lewis are the usual go-to options.
    Richer always have clearance offers – ex display, open box etc.
    John Lewis will be worth looking at when their sale starts on Dec 27th; they also have an offers section online.
    Both offer extended warranty which I would always factor in.
    What’s your budget & maximum screen size? Biggest can be best but room size is a consideration.
    Are you looking for other items – soundbase/bar, bluray player etc?
    ** Always buy the best cables/leads you can afford; they do make a difference **

tomhoward

Not much at the moment but will be, within the life of a tv bought now

** Always buy the best cables/leads you can afford; they do make a difference **

Especially HDMI ones… 🙄

nickfrog
    Free Member

Quite a lot of 4K stuff on Netflix and Amazon actually.

But most tellies are too far / too small to see the additional detail vs 1080p

djflexure

Panasonic have an eBay outlet
    I’ve had a great set off them
    650 600 in your range

frankconway

tom – ?

tomhoward

Yes?

frankconway

Ah, OK.

tomhoward

Glad to be of assistance.

frankconway

Clear communication is good.

Cougar

I think what Tom was trying to say was,

… was true 15 years ago but is now out of date advice.

mboy
    Free Member

Especially HDMI ones…

😆

They’re particularly susceptible to the quality of the cable those 1’s and 0’s! 😆

… was true 15 years ago but is now out of date advice.

Basically any analogue signal can possibly benefit from buying good quality cables, as long as there is no limitations elsewhere in the system. Any digital signal… Well the signal is binary. It’s either there or it’s not!

Sony Bravia KD49XE8004 & Panasonic TX50EX700B were other considerations but I thought the LG seemed a better option. Seen it as low as £599 in a few places for short periods.

I’ve got the 40” version of the Panasonic (well the previous generation), I’ve been very impressed with it. The Firefox OS seems very intuitive, picture quality is astounding, and I got it for an absolute steal on ao.com… Would have had the 49” version but my living room is very small.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Well the signal is binary. It’s either there or it’s not![list]

for hdmi this is true as the spec is quite tight but for some other digital cables for hifi this isn’t always true – for example the coax digital connections are specced for 75ohm but they use rca plugs and you can’t get a 75ohm rca plug, so you have an impedance mismatch and therefore possible signal degradation :

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/75ohmrca.htm

Cougar

Nonsense.

frogstomp

Digital signals can still be affected by noise, and there’s only so much error recovery can do before you start getting glitches (especially at higher bit rates).

Granted, you probably don’t need to spend megabucks to get a reliable cable but the cheapest you can find isn’t necessarily the best choice either.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I bought a 55″ LG television the other week from John Lewis for £599. They price-matched with Richer Sounds.

I’m very pleased with it. I’m not a great watcher of TV, but my PC is hooked up to it and I’m finally making proper use of the Nvidia Ti card. Gaming in 4K is worth it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nonsense.

Nonce-sense ?

angeldust
    Free Member

Not much at the moment but will be, within the life of a tv bought now

Nope. Plenty on Sky Q and Amazon etc.

Cougar

Digital signals can still be affected by noise, and there’s only so much error recovery can do before you start getting glitches (especially at higher bit rates).

Yeah but the point is, the signal is either intact or it isn’t. If it’s glitching, it’s immediately noticeable and obvious that you need to replace the cable.

Granted, you probably don’t need to spend megabucks to get a reliable cable but the cheapest you can find isn’t necessarily the best choice either.

Exactly. You want something that’s reasonably well constructed rather than a 99p eBay job, I’ve been pleased with the Amazon Basics offering for like a fiver. Going beyond that is pointless, if you’ve got a stable signal then swapping to a really expensive cable is still going to give you a stable signal; no more, no less. You can get “premium high-speed” certified cables now if you want to be absolutely certain that you’re getting the real deal, and they can be had for under a tenner.

All this is a throwback to analogue days, where decent interconnects was pretty critical. In the digital world it’s the realm of marketing and unscrupulous salesmen.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Samsung 49″ Curved 4k Ultra HD LED TV.

Blue Planet II last night was amazing.

The picture quality is immense, and soo much better than our 6yr old Sony.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

In the digital world it’s the realm of marketing and unscrupulous salesmen.

mostly, yes, but there was a problem with no rca connectors being 75ohm, unlike BNCs for example. Apparently there could be signal reflection issues caused by the impedance mismatch. Canare rca plugs were the best but still not as good as a BNC.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Both offer extended warranty which I would always factor in.

The LG I mentioned in my OP comes with a 5yr warranty.

What’s your budget & maximum screen size? Biggest can be best but room size is a consideration.

£600 +- is the budget, screen size is currently a 46″ but it’s got a 2″ ‘frame’ round it. The lG is classed as a 49″ & the unit can’t be much bigger than that cos of where it goes in the room (no other options either)

Are you looking for other items – soundbase/bar, bluray player etc?

Luckily no, got a nice soundbar from the same place a couple of years ago & we’ve used the blu-ray player about 6 times in 7 years!

Can’t see John Lewis dropping the price enough to make it worthwhile me not buying from a shop 9 miles away.

Drac

Can’t see John Lewis dropping the price enough to make it worthwhile me not buying from a shop 9 miles away.

They did on my last one and now match online prices too.

Cougar

mostly, yes, but there was a problem with no rca connectors being 75ohm, unlike BNCs for example. Apparently there could be signal reflection issues caused by the impedance mismatch

Maybe, maybe not. I’ve not looked into that beyond the article you linked to (which is primarily talking about analogue video).

As I said though, with a digital signal it’s an irrelevance. It either works properly or it doesn’t. 1s and 0s.

FuzzyWuzzy

I finally got a UHD TV last week, already had Amazon Prime and there’s a fair bit of stuff on there (although the movie choice is basically none). The Grand Tour in UHD + HDR looks amazing though (in fact I’d say HDR is a much more obvious difference than HD>UHD).

Signed up to Netflix a couple of days ago and pleasantly surprised by the amount of UHD and Dolby Vision (HDR) content, inc. quite a few films.

Had Sky Q installed yesterday to, there seem to be quite a few movies in UHD now but not much of anything else.

Of the 3 I’d def recommend Netflix if you want UHD content (especially, as with Prime, you can do it on a month’s free trial and binge watch a shed load of stuff over Christmas…).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

As I said though, with a digital signal it’s an irrelevance. It either works properly or it doesn’t. 1s and 0s.

it’s not if it is noisy and you can’t resolve the difference between a 1 and a 0 signal.

squirrelking
    Free Member

it’s not if it is noisy and you can’t resolve the difference between a 1 and a 0 signal.

Rockape63
    Free Member

lol at Squirrelking! 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New telly time, but….’ is closed to new replies.