• This topic has 54 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • New tech, will I get left behind? Am I alone?
  • I’ve recently changed from a 26″, 3×9, straight steeerer, 2008 S-Works Enduro to a 2016, 650b, tapered steerer, 1×11 Capra.

The geometry is nicer, but that could be the case when you change any bike. I don’t notice any difference with the wheel size and the 35mm Lyriks don’t feel any stiffer than the old 36mm X-Fusion Vengeance.

I steadfastly refused to lose 3x gearing previously, as I used the full range – I’ve now adopted 1x and for the most, I like it. I did fit a 9-44t cassette though for my weedy legs. Pro’s – less bar clutter, less gear selection to think about, no dogy fron shifting, not dropped a chain (which I did quite often with a 3x). Con’s – lost the top end gearing (low end is almost the same) and the chainline is gash – pedal backwards in 1st gear and the chain throws itself down the cassette

breadcrumb

I’ve ditched 26″ – I prefer 29ers.

I’ve ditched 2/3x – I prefer 1x.

Gone with tapered steerers – hard to find good straight forks.

Got a dropper – suits my riding.

When my 10 speed kit is worn I’ll consider 11 speed if the price is right.

Some advances are worth having. I’m avoiding the hub standards for as long as possible.

Poopscoop

Probably like many riders I am somewhere between the 2 extremes but budget mostly forced me toward the older stuff.

26″ fs (second hand) and ht (new budget frame, mostly second hand parts). Some pretty new parts fitted though and the for sale forum on here is a God send.

The whole 650b “thing” still irritates but I’ve decided to moan about Trump and Farage more these days! 😀

Long germ I can see me getting a second ht 29er as it would suite my riding more I think. Then sticking with that.

Klunk
    Free Member

26 inch wheeled 1 geared straight steerer with qr forks here, and I love it, the other bike is same but 9 speed with a triple up front.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My bikes are 2012 26-ers 3×9 run with big ring replaced by a bash guard. Both have straight steerer forks although one has a tapered to straight adapter, these forks are 10 years old. Will buy some Slants before they stop making them. Have no interest in less gears and would not (could not) give up lowest gear or loss of range. As I have posted before all the standard changes have meant I have spent less money. My bikes aren’t worn out (my milage has been really low these last two years), I have spares and an as new Dialled PA frame and a new xt 3×9 full groupset and have been bidding on old Souls and looking for a Bandit frame too.

At no time have I ever felt a need to upgrade needlessly change stuff

chestrockwell

I have a 29″, tapered steerer, boost and stealth dropper routed 1×11 full suss but my most recent purchase was a 26″ 1 1/8th hard tail with 3×9 and qr all round. My favourite however is a fully rigid, 1″ steerer, 3×7, 26″ equipped with Suntour Microdrive gears. I’m confused.

flap_jack
    Free Member

The 9 speed lasting better than 8 speed is an interesting observation. Is it because the 8 speed stuff now available is really poor, but half decent 9 speed can still be got ?

andyl
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Seems I’ve taken offence at 650b and Boost hubs. OTOH I managed to reverse a downgrade this year and get back to a proper 20mm front axle.

I remember asking if I should go with a normal weight QR/9mm/15mm/20mm hub or save a bit of weight and go for the lighter QR/15mm only one. A certain someone said go with the lighter as would be unlikely i would go 20mm…I had some Reba solo airs with 15mm axle so went with the lighter hub, having given away my older dual air Reba RL QR forks. I have now ended up picking up a set of nice dual air black box forks so I can get the tune-ability of the dual air back and guess what axle they have….fortunately I have a spare brand new fully convertible front hub as I ended up going Pro2’s on my other bike.

I have 20mm on my 26″ too (Rev RLT-Ti/blackbox/carbon jobbies) and it’s so much better than 15mm.

kayla1
    Free Member

I can’t say I’m that fussed by new stuff really. All our stuff is 26″ and 20mm/QR because that’s what we bought years ago and it still works entirely adequately so there’s no need to jump on the upgrade bus.

I refuse to drink the 650B Kool-Aid though, that’s so much balls it’s unbelievable. 29ers, yes, I can see how they’d be more useful in certain situations, but 650B can get right in the sea.

iainc

2013 Soul here, one of the last 26 ones. Would quite like to change it next year, but to what and how much ! Also have a 650b Anthem SX, so would likely get another Soul type bike for winter and mud. Given that my current one is worth not very much I will probably just keep riding it till I can’t get parts. I have a new spare Reba already, so that bit is covered 😀

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkg7Ozu0pH8[/video]

taxi25
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever “upgraded” as such. But I do like to change my bike from time to time, so I run with whatever it has already fitted. When stuff wears out it just gets replaced like for like. Currently both my bikes are 29er’s which I do like, my newer one is 1×11 which is fine but I do prefer the 2×10 on my other bike, not so much that I’d change it though.
    I suppose if all I wanted was a functional bike I’d be like the Op, but I get bored well before anything I’ve had gets obsolete.

sirromj

Just test my latest upgrade – 26″ rigid forks, suspension forks just don’t survive daily commutes and no maintenance. It’s a bit trigger’s broom but f&!@ it.

scotroutes

Dunno. The bikes we buy each year are around the same price point.

I’m not claiming it’s any sort of scientific study, but the bikes are all maintained to the same standards and are ridden on a variety of terrains, in a variety of weathers by a variety of folk.

nickc

some people love new tech, some people don’t. Some folk love to see what effect (if any) a new design or bit of whatever will change their ride or how they ride, or how fast they can go, or if it will let them ride longer without something breaking.

personally I honestly genuinely can’t see the difference between 8 or 9, 10 or 11 speed cassettes, it’s just a number. It doesn’t ever stop the sun coming up, or the smell of fresh ferns or how mud makes your rear wheel slide of an off camber section on that downhill corner that always makes you hold your breath.

Go ride, no matter how or on what; whether it’s a 20 year old steel Kona, or a fantastic plastic “price of a car” SC Bronson.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘New tech, will I get left behind? Am I alone?’ is closed to new replies.