Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New tax disc question?
  • mactheknife

I am 90 % sure i am buying a Vito from basically the other end of the country this week.
    Will travel down on the train, pick it up and do the long drive home.
    The only thing that i am unsure of is the tax, as it does not automatically transfer over how the hell do i tax it before driving home?

Advice welcome 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Tax it when you get home, as long as you pay from the day you drove it home, you’ll be fine

totalshell

you have to tax it from the first of october so the dvla win win. your supposed to tax it before you put it on the road.. no reason you cant tax it today before you set off..

ThePinkster

Genuine question – Don’t you need insurance before you can tax it?

steveh

Or you can still do it a the post office.
    It won’t be a big deal though as the previous owner won’t officially untax it until dvla get the info and process it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Technically I believe that you cannot tax it if you are not the owner. You used to be able to pop along to the PO with your green bit of the V5 and that was ok. Can’t see how you do that online as you will not be the registered keeper. Also its damn near impossible to insure a vehicle that you don’t own and you can’t tax it without either a cover note or it being on the insurance system.
    I guess you get a cover note from your insurer before you leave home, maybe saying wither that you already own it or will do so from a certain time, take that and the little green bit to the PO and then drive home.

mactheknife

I think ill call the DVLA in the morning, i have been on their website for the last 20 minutes and its not really any clearer.

Thanks guys 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mattsccm – I don’t think you need to be the owner, or certainly the registered owner. I bought a car from a dealer last week and taxed it before I left the showroom, and before they had sent the v5 stuff away. It takes 2 minutes and is very simple.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New tax disc question?’ is closed to new replies.