Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New T6 transporter and Caddy – look nice
  • Rik
    Free Member

New Transporter Caravelle:
    https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/media/2180952/t6_passenger_carriers_presales_flyer.pdf

New Caddy:
    https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/media/2053127/caddy_4_life_presales_flyer.pdf

Loving the new Euro6 engines should mean plenty of power with huge mpg and extended range.

Think one of these has just made the new car list. But which?

sc-xc

I was underwhelmed when I first saw this. Looks exactly like my old T5, some of the concepts doing the rounds were far nicer.

Rik
    Free Member

Think I’m more impressed by what’s inside, new engines, better ‘car’ like interiors, bluemotion throughout with stop start.

Loving the retro two tone colour scheme on the transporter.

Pieface

It has to be the T6.

There’s no point getting a new car if its the same as what you’ve already got.

piha
    Free Member

No announcement of the T6 Kombi in yesterdays press release.

Looks like HMRC are clamping down on the Kombi style of van with regarding BIK too. I think that this will hurt sales of the Kombi style of van (or is it a car!?) and VW sales aren’t commenting on the BIK status of the Kombi at the moment.

I’m waiting to see a physical T6 before I decide if its an improvement but I do like more MPG and the stop/start feature.

Gary_M
    Free Member

bluemotion throughout with stop start

Is that not all bluemotion is?

globalti
    Free Member

I expect these vans are manufactured using VW’s new MQB platform, or a van equivalent, whereby all the same components are bolted onto different floorpans. Somehow MQB has made an astonishing difference to the feel, interior size and performance of my new B8 Passat over the old B7 model; it’s quite remarkable what they have achieved.

NZCol

My 14 California has stop/start – all the bluemotion ones are stop start.

globalti
    Free Member

The stop/start thingy is the way manufacturers fiddle the CO2 emissions figure. I always override mine as it drives me nuts.

Pieface

The stop / start is one element of the Bluemotion / Bluetec etc. systems in use.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The stop / start is one element of the Bluemotion / Bluetec etc. systems in use.

What are the other elements of bluemotion then? We’re looking at vw campers at the moment and I was advised bluemotion=start/stop on the camper and that’s it.

matt_outandabout

As are some low rolling resistance tyres – which no-one replaces like for like anyway…. #greenwash

munrobiker
    Free Member

Bluemotion’s all sorts of things combined including aerodynamics.

Rumour has it the new Caddy will also be available as the new Skoda Roomster for those who want to adhere to the STW prototype and dodge the VW tax.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Euro6 is all about reduced emissions, they’re not about MPG and power, so I wouldnt expect massive strides in that front.

jam-bo

Bluemotion’s all sorts of things combined including aerodynamics.

Slightly rounded edges does not make a brick aerodynamic 😉

It’s a bit meh really, are you sure it’s not a facelift rather than a T6

nealglover
    Free Member

VW have announced it as “the 6th Generation” so it’s not a facelift as far as they are concerned.

Does look like it though on the surface.

legend
    Free Member

The “blue” from BlueMotion is the Adblue in the exhaust innit? Although I’d bet they all have it now

Pieface

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueMotion =

The name refers to Volkswagen Group’s corporate colour, blue, with the word ‘motion’ added to denote mobility,[2] and echoes DaimlerChrysler’s BlueTec engines which are equipped with advanced NOx reducing technology for diesel-powered vehicle emissions control.

Solo
    Free Member

I always override mine as it drives me nuts.

Fortunately, the A8 doesn’t have S/S, but the A5 does and drives me nuts too.

I take official mpg figures with a pinch O’salt.

Edit: Friend of mine has a T5 for family travel. It is an absolute nightmare of a money pitt. Proper dreadful costs for maintenance and repair, replacing drive shafts and stuff.

alpin
    Free Member

The German wiki page for the T6 says it is merely a face-lift of the T5 face-lift. Wonder how long it’ll stay there before either VW or some van freak comes along and deletes it.

Engine is the same as that in the current T5. Mpg figures are no better than before. The shell is essentially the same on the inside.

There are already a few freaks face-lifting their face-lift T5s.

Rik
    Free Member

Would love a long wheel base T6 caravelle but the outset cost is quite considerable – but then new prices (or demonstrator) are not massively more than nearly new s/h. Plus planning on keeping this one for 7 years.

Had the Caddy Maxi for over 5 years now and it’s still ace. Only thing would be nicer would be better mpg which the new one has, and a bit more room at times (swivel captains chairs etc) would be ace hence thinking T6.

large418
    Free Member

Manufacturers aren’t legally allowed to fiddle MPG figures – they have to abide by Euro regulations for how MPG is calculated. Trouble is that this involves specific drive cycles which may or may not represent “normal” driving. You should complain to the Certification authorities if you think a manufacturer is not complying (but certified MPG and real life might be different, hence the Urban, Motorway and other MPG figures normally quoted). The Eu6c regs in 2018/2019 introduce a new drive cycle that is much more representative.

However, the T6 does look good…

matt_outandabout

they’re not about MPG and power,

This explains why when we just looked it was a struggle to get many new MPV/van derived MPV’s with larger than 1.6 engines…I bet they look great on emissions on paper and in lab tests – and worse than a bigger engine in ‘real world’ conditions.

Rik
    Free Member

Engine is the same as that in the current T5

No it’s not its a new Euro6 compliant unit which has only just been put in a few other VAG cars so far

ratherbeintobago

It’s a facelift, like the 5K Golf and the B7 Passat.

Spud

Our 2013 Caravelle has Bluemotion and it has nothing to do with Ad-Blue. Stop/ Start; energy recovery on the braking system, low resistance tyres are the main things. There isn’t much difference between the T6 and ours, nicer finish around the dash and DAB but elsewhere its evolution not revolution, but then why change it for the heck of it. I’d like the extra fuel economy and power mind, but then our 180 BiTDi shifts now.

Rik
    Free Member

Just seen the prices – £38k for a powerful caravelle !!!! ffs!!

Think I might be sticking with a well spec’d demonstrator new shape caddy maxi when it’s out.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

People will still put those stupid bars along the cills on them

RoterStern
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be the new T6!! TBH I can’t see a massive difference to my T5. Doesn’t really justify the T6 moniker IMO.

Ewan
    Free Member

Manufacturers aren’t legally allowed to fiddle MPG figures – they have to abide by Euro regulations for how MPG is calculated. Trouble is that this involves specific drive cycles which may or may not represent “normal” driving. You should complain to the Certification authorities if you think a manufacturer is not complying (but certified MPG and real life might be different, hence the Urban, Motorway and other MPG figures normally quoted). The Eu6c regs in 2018/2019 introduce a new drive cycle that is much more representative.

Depends how you define fiddle. As it’s quite a distinctive use case ECUs look for the test cycle and if they recongise it they’ll change their behaviour to maximise MPG. That comes from (not me) a lubricant engineer who runs engines on test beds for a living.

squealer
    Free Member

My blue motion model has a coasting function which was just awful.

Then you take your foot off the accelerator, say on a a road or motorway, even only for a second, the van goes into. Neutral and “coasts” along. Then when you put your foot back on the accelerator it jumps back into the appropriate gear with a lurch. I had it switched On for all of 3 journeys.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New T6 transporter and Caddy – look nice’ is closed to new replies.