Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • new T47 'standard'
  • lovewookie

the standard to replace all other standards? well, apart from standard threaded of course…;-)

T47 threaded bigshell

bigbeard
    Free Member
    honourablegeorge

I think that’s great. Does a way with a standard nobody likes, works with existing cranks, and it’s an open standard for whoever wants it. Win win.

lunge

I love the idea but wasn’t a big driver in moving to press fit BB’s the cost saving to frame manufacturers? This will not deal with that.

philwarren11
    Free Member

“SAY GOODBYE TO PRESSFIT!”

Praise the Lord.

wwaswas

This will not deal with that.

Well it will in the sense that manufacturers can put press fit in there as OEM and then you can get the shell threaded and one of these fitted at a later date (warranty willing, obvs).

sobriety
    Free Member

“You could literally take a metal PF30 frame and tap it, creating a frame for a threaded bottom bracket. Pretty cool, right?”

That sounds like a great idea.

lunge

Well it will in the sense that manufacturers can put press fit in there as OEM and then you can get the shell threaded and one of these fitted at a later date (warranty willing, obvs)

Only if it’s a metal shell, a carbon shell can’t be threaded can it?

wwaswas

that’s true.

hugo
    Free Member

Once manufacturers see that the cost saving of producing press fit frames is outweighed by the reduction in revenue, then there will be change.

I’d avoid a press fit frame if I were buying new tomorrow.

At the moment I’m not sure this is true for the majority (of people not on here…!)

sam_underhill

I’m no engineer, but might you need a thicker BB tube if you intend to cut a thread into it vs one that has something pressed into it?

xcstu
    Free Member

I’d avoid a press fit frame if I were buying new tomorrow.

Why?? I see no issue with press fit.. have to be the easiest bottom brackets to fit / remove

otsdr
    Free Member

Yes, the whole ‘thread your metal PF30 frame’ thing is just something they added in support of their cause. The truth is unless you get yourself a custom frame (preferably made by the said inventors) with a proper metal shell you won’t be able to install those cups.
    Or the ‘standard’ takes off and everyone starts using them.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve bought two PF frames in the last two years. I’d prefer threaded as I reckon it’s a fundamentally better system but I’ve had no problems with either (hence why I was happy to buy the second).

(NB – I wrap them in enough PTFE tape before fitting to ensure a tight fit)

Soz, hugo 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

xcstu – Member

“I’d avoid a press fit frame if I were buying new tomorrow”.

Why?? I see no issue with press fit.. have to be the easiest bottom brackets to fit / remove

1) they tend to creak, a lot, often from new.

2) you can’t fit a square taper crankset in a BB90 – which is a pain in the bum if you want cranks shorter than 165.

3) most people would be more comfortable/efficient with cranks shorter than 165.

jameso

I love the idea but wasn’t a big driver in moving to press fit BB’s the cost saving to frame manufacturers? This will not deal with that.

Once manufacturers see that the cost saving of producing press fit frames is outweighed by the reduction in revenue, then there will be change.

*cough* *ahem*
    Some brands never thought any saving or new-stuff sales benefits were worth the hard-to-avoid hassle for the owner or the brand further down the line, or thought the pitch for 30mm axles and BB/PF30 was credible anyway. Not just the bikes I spec but a few others, a minority though. Not being able to fit 30mm cranks has been seen as a negative by some but the ‘advantages’ of 30mm + PF/BB30 aren’t worth the fact it’s often a flawed standard in use. TBH I don’t think the assembly savings (whatever they are – minimal I suspect) were the main driver, more about BB shell size, issues with threaded cups in carbon bikes, wanting a lighter frame spec, having new stuff to talk about, etc.

This new format looks good, will check the dimensions and combatibility before getting excited by it, initially it seems a good idea. There’s not much need for anything bigger than BSA shells on anything but carbon frames though, maybe some heavily OS Ti or Al but not many, threaded inserts / BB cup tool torque on carbon frames is another potentially problematic matter in itself.

My next bike, a steel custom (theoretical) will be threaded BSA unless this allows both larger bearings (a 24mm axle + external cup in a 47mm ID shell combo) as well as the same bearing spacing as BSA HT2 cups – can’t see how if you want to use 2 or 3x MTB chainsets. A bigger bearing is potentially no gain if it’s closer to the bike centre line, that’s the big flaw of BB/PF30 imo. (68mm shell but internal bearings)

philwarren11
    Free Member

Press fit is bullshit.

I was going through a PF30 about every 2-4 months on my old Stumpy evo, depending how much cash i wanted to spend on the (SRAM up to Wheels Mfg).

Cheapest PF30 is about 30 and they’re utter shit quality. Ideally you need a puller/remover to get them out unless your happy to smash them out with a pipe. Then you need to install them with a press tool to get them square.

I’ll take a 10 quid Ht2 that i can change in minutes with one “tool” and a hex key every time.

I will categorically never buy another bike with a PF BB.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘new T47 'standard'’ is closed to new replies.