Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • New Superstar bikes
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

No great surprise given the amount of components they offer. Seems a logical business step. Seems obvious now, not sure why they hadn’t been pumping out rigid s/s bikes sooner.

If the prices are right then they’re going to be cracking value.

It will be interesting to see what marketing strategy they’re going to use, although I’m sure there are some customers that will just take a punt.

wwaswas

he did do frames before – they were ‘off the shelf’ ones so I’d be interested to know how much input SS will have in the design.

DT78
    Free Member

Really interesting, good to see some more new people coming into the market and offering ‘cheaper’ full sus bikes. My next bike will be from a ‘value’ brand like nukeproof / canyon etc…

About time the prices were dropped for frames really the bigger brands are asking silly prices now.

I hope the build quality will be better than the wheels I bought off SS though. Great value but a bit disappointing when you have to rebuild within a couple of rides!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

will they utilise a floating octopus pivot design?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Assembled by a mechanic with a rock I assume?

_tom_
    Free Member

Interesting, I like the superstar stuff I’ve tried.

richc
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Assembled by a mechanic with a rock I assume?

I doubt they will get TJ in to build them up from them, although if he did he could apply his ‘its the LAW’ stickers to every bike.

nuke

Got to hand it to the chap (customer service aside) as quite impressed how he’s managed to take the business from selling just ti bolts to now full bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

They better come with pedals then!

Frame looks nice IMO, bit Gianty/Mondrakery in the suspension department is it?

GW
    Free Member

he did do frames before – they were ‘off the shelf’ ones so I’d be interested to know how much input SS will have in the design.

This is old news but DH frame appears to be an “off the shelf” Astro AFDHA

http://www.astroeng.com.tw/productsdetail.asp?id=51

and here are some others from the Astro factory

quite a few bike companies re-brand them.

chvck
    Free Member

Not only will this help to keep costs down, but it means it’ll be possible to colour-match – or colour-clash – everything from bar and stem to disc rotors, seatpost, pedals, headset and wheels at point of sale.

I’m liking the sound of that, be able to make utterly horrendous looking bikes really easily!

Also 915mm wide bars??

😯

bigjim

I hope they get a new wheelbuilder by then!

i could do a bar that wide, but I am 6’4″ with monkey arms.

Leku
    Free Member

A 5″ frame would be interesting.

Not many options for 5″ frame only around (and the ones available are bloody expensive).

BoardinBob

I saw a couple of prototypes at Fort William last weekend and they looked quite nice

nbt

Suspension unit looks a bit rubbish on that AFAMG 😉

GW
    Free Member

looks perfect for “All Mountain” to me 😉

wbss
    Free Member

The “through the seatpost” dual link suspension design looks similar to the ragley far-eastern fs offering.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I guessed they’d be re-branding “generic” designs from a taiwanese factory and maybe tweaking them a bit.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Still think ‘Superstar’ is a shit name still.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leku – Member
    A 5″ frame would be interesting.

Not many options for 5″ frame only around (and the ones available are bloody expensive).

Crikey, how short are you? 😉

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Had to laugh at the comment underneath. 🙂

Do you think they will supply a big bag of haribo if you buy a bike rather than the small one?

GW
    Free Member

wbss – the pic you’ve posted is quite clearly an Astro AFDHA but I’m not sure what you are saying about it. 😕 Are Ragley selling these too?

kimbers

the 1.5k dh bike sounds excellent

will sell like hotcakes with or without the giant bag of haribo

z1ppy

So simlar to the Ragley prototype, it’s almost as if there the same frame, I mean their the same colour for a start, and err errr err well nothing else is similar is it really? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Freeborn demo’d some of the “Yardstick” bars

wbss
    Free Member

I’m just comparing the through the seattube dual link sussler designs.

edit with one last picture:

ragley linkage

wwaswas

he ought to sort the drainage out on his lawn.

TheBrick
    Free Member

will sell like hotcakes with or without the giant bag of haribo

No haribo, no order.

grum
    Free Member

lol at the ‘prototype’ of a bike that’s already in production.

deandorsie
    Free Member

Looks like the new Commencal DH bike to me.

stevede
    Free Member

No surprise that its an off the shelf frame from taiwan for that price, if it turns out to be even half decent i’d consider it a bargain (not my cup of tea though).
    The `made in the uk’ pedals that they are developing look bloody awful imo, they should stick with the proven winning formula of stamping Superstar logos on the nano pedals, have nanos on both of my bikes and rate them highly.

votchy
    Free Member

So, no issues with warranty on the bottom brackets as they will have been installed properly, never ending supply of brake pads as they constantly fall from the backing plates, caveat in the warranty preventing use of water to clean bike 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Riding it voids the warranty

RealMan
    Free Member

DezB 😆

Great pic.

thepodge
    Free Member

I was talking to them a while back about these and they start as off the shelf but then they tweak them as they see fit.

its all in the detail.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I do like the idea of a company buying a bike off the shelf, stripping it of paint and wrapping a chainstay with electrical tape for that authentic “prototype” look. 😉

That said, I just don’t want to been seen on a bike called “Superstar” and sporting that god-awful logo up front. No offence to Superstar intended, but I wish they’d come up with a less kitsch brand identity. Those things really don’t normally bother me (I ride a bike with the word “Special” in it) but this brand name does.

The Ragley has a similar suspension layout, but the tubes are straighter and aside from the coweled dropout I can’t see much else shared with the Superstar / Astro.

GW
    Free Member

I was talking to them a while back about these and they start as off the shelf but then they tweak them as they see fit.

Them? who are “they”?
    anyway, did you ask exactly what “tweaks” they do see fit?

I seriously doubt Superstar will “tweak” anything, I once went without a DH frame for months waiting for the “prototype” to be “tweaked” for production. I’d seen a sample of at various races and spoken to the “designer” 🙄 who had said it needed more CNC work and various refinements before going into production.. eventually I got pissed off calling/waiting/being fobbed off with excuses so bought one direct from the factory (under another brand name) a few months later I caught up with their team riders finally building up the first “production” frames, guess what? other than the colour it was exactly the same frame as mine right down to nasty misalignment issues and the entire production run later down the line was exactly the same.

jimjam
    Free Member

GW

Them? who are “they”?
    anyway, did you ask exactly what “tweaks” they do see fit?

I reckon they’ll fully tweak the sh*t out of the colour and the stickers.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

they might even lazer cut the dropouts into the superstar logo shape.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘New Superstar bikes’ is closed to new replies.