Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New style deore brakes…OMG I can't stop :/
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Hoping someone can shed some light here.

Fitted some of the new style Deore brakes (615’s) the other day, first ride they were great, today not so.

Had a good ride brakes working perfectly, come to the end of the ride and on my merry way home. Drops down some steps and onto the canal towpath, and oh shit levers to the bar and no brakes at all, luckily only scrubbing speed so didnt end up taking an early bath.
    Pumped levers and the brakes started working again however don’t fancy having that happen again especially on the trials.

Anyone have any ideas what that was all about, brakes were fitted as they came, hoses as yet unshortened due to lack of fluid just in case it was needed.
    Is it possible they are under filled from the box and the angle of descent was enough to drain reservoir?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t trust factory bleeds. Get em bled mon ami.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I have them on my commuter / child transporter.

Left the hoses as they came out of the box.

No problems with mine so far….. touches wood.

dafoxster
    Free Member

The same happened to me on a rocky descent at the weekend. A bleed will see you right.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Bleed it is then. Fingers crossed that does it, was rather unsettling!

Is the funnel required or just nice to have to save making a mess?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Where did you buy them?

Will they reimburse or bleed them for you?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Merlin. Proper retail boxed.
    Will get them bled and go from there.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Oops.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Merlin. Proper retail boxed.

Same here, keep me posted on here with any updates please.

Cheers,

Alan.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Will do.

banks
    Free Member

No need to bleed.

Drop the wheels out & pump the levers, maybe a few times maybe many times.

Only do it until the pistons & pads sit slightly further out than previous.

RDL-82
    Free Member

No need to bleed.

Thinking less in need of a bleed, more in need of a top up.

banks
    Free Member

That’s exactly it!

Just pop the wheels out and pump the lever a few times, maybe more until it looks like the pads/pistons are sitting further out then before, brake should feel shit hot afterwards to best to try before trying to stop, it will hurt.

I was forever bleeding, topping up & draining fluid until this little trick was revealed.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Pistons need pushing back in afterwards so they don’t rub or are we talking a miniscule amount of movement here?

banks
    Free Member

Nope, leave them in their new positions and shove the wheel back in, sometimes they rub a little but only briefly. If done right you’ll have to play around with the lever adjust

RDL-82
    Free Member

Cheers will give that a whirl in the morning

coatesy
    Free Member

Your levers came back to the bars because air that was in the reservoir (but shouldn’t have been)got drawn into the pressurised part of the system, pushing the pistons out further is not going to prevent this happening again, bleed the air out and you’ll be fine.

b45her
    Free Member

should have bought elixirs, still the most reliable brakes i’ve ever had despite all the hate they get from ham fisted “mechanics”. the X0 trail brakes i currently have cold stop a truck with just 1 finger too.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

bleed properly. bed pads in properly. Decent sized rotors. Deore – most excellent

RDL-82
    Free Member

Just a quick update. Bled the other day, spot on now, not as powerful as my old XT’s but good enough.

Bleed funnel makes it all a doddle, worth the few quid.

devash
    Free Member

Just fitted a set of these this week (also from Merlin). Running 180/160 SLX rotors and haven’t had this issue yet. Thought it sounded like a bleed issue, factory bleeds are hit and miss.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

A friend and me both had similar issues after fitting new pads . We both got serious brake fade on the first ride with the new pads in but afterwards have had no problems . XT brakes not Deore but they are pretty similar .

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New style deore brakes…OMG I can't stop :/’ is closed to new replies.