Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New Stem required any recommendations?
  • colinpm1
    Free Member

In need of a new stem for Orange 5. Have just upgraded my bars and the diameter is smaller than the fitted Raceface Ride. So my requirements are:
    – 31.8mm diameter
    – 50mm length
    – steerer diameter 1 and 1/8 inches

Any recommendations gratefully received

Cheers!

tomhoward

Thomson

/thread

colinpm1
    Free Member

Er, thanks but that link doesn’t seem to work!

raisinhat
    Free Member

I use a 50mm thomson, mainly because I’m a tart – it’s beautifully made, matches my bars, and I think it’s a the nicest looking stem out there. I will fully admit it’s not the lightest if that matters to you.

If I’m being honest, almost any 50mm stem will do. Pick whatever one matches your budget and personal taste.

Hope, easton, raceface, renthal apex; all nice. Avoid the renthal strata though – too many reports of constant creaking

sillyoldman

Gamut Cillos is nice.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

El corto from on one (gulp)

honourablegeorge

raisinhat – Member

Avoid the renthal strata though – too many reports of constant creaking

THey don’t creak if installed properly and the bars are proper tolerance. But the former is a minor faff, while the latter can be pot luck to an extent.

jimw
    Free Member

Easton Haven

mccraque

Syntace Megaforce. On offer at Evans right now!

qwerty
    Free Member

Its on a 5 so Hope should be the go to, failing that Thomson.

Northwind

Thomson- the only stem company in the world that think faceplates are a consumable and it’s completely normal for them to crack every so often.

TBH, a stem’s a stem, something like a Pro FRS will do the job just fine, for £24. You can go up or down a few grams, convince yourself you can definitely feel more or less stiffs…

mboy
    Free Member

Gamut Cillos is nice.

Got a 50mm Cillos for sale right now in black. I’ve gone even shorter now, hence it’s surplus to requirements. £40 posted if anyone wants it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s utterly pointless spending any more than £20-£30. There’s some very nice stems around that price and lots of used OEM ones that are even nicer.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

+1 for the Easton Haven. It’s a work of art.

colinpm1
    Free Member

Cheers guys, don’t want to go over £50 (not being stingy!) so got a lot of options to look at

colournoise

Funn Funnduro.

Really iffy name, but great bit of kit, given that all stems are just there to hold your bars to your steerer.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Had Easton Haven, Raceface Turbines and keep coming back to Thomson, have had loads over the years and currently have them on my 2 current steeds

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I ll sell you put my hope stem. Lovely it is, just prefer the Renthal in have alsol.

julzm
    Free Member

I might have a spare 50mm Thomson stem cos I’m sure I took it off before my current hope 35mm one. I’d always have a Thomson if they made them in the sizes I’m looking for.

Email in profile if interested.

ben98
    Free Member

Superstar are super cheap atm

james
    Free Member

As above Pro FRS 50mm £24 all very nice. A stiff enough lump with rounded corners and backside. Once built up the graphics get lost and blend into many bar/frame colour schemes well:
    £24 posted

Poopscoop

I have the FRS Pro stem on the bike I’m building up currently. Really well made stem and it goes with the bikes black/ white paint brilliantly. Even nicer if your bar has some white writing/detailing on it.

Another “non fashionable” but good stem is the Truvativ Hussefelf (so? ) built like a tank but damned strong!

jonnym92

I have the Funn ‘Funnduro’. Does the job perfectly. Cheap, I would have another no problem.
    DMR Vault on the other bike is good too.

poah
    Free Member

easton haven 55mm

zero-cool
    Free Member

Rental Apex.

chiefgrooveguru

I have a Renthal Strata to offload – as mentioned above, whether they creak or not seems to depends on the bars. My mate’s never does, mine often did and I didn’t fancy buying new bars at even greater cost! Nicely made, very stiff, just fussy about what it mates with.

chakaping
    Free Member

Funn Funnduro.

+1

What’s 5mm between friends?

spectabilis
    Free Member

PP’s R2R is a really nice bit if kit. You may have trouble finding a 50mm before the next batch mind.

dogmatix
    kiwijohn

If you want really nice, North Shore Billet – Overlord.

colinpm1
    Free Member

Ended up going for a Renthal Apex, on the grounds that my LBS didn’t have much in the way of 50mm stems in stock. Settled on a 60mm stem which I tried on a similar bike to mine and it felt spot on. And they did me a bit of a deal as well!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New Stem required any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.