Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New steel hardtail. NS surge – jump bike/xc machine. Fun times!!
  • kudos100
    Free Member

Here is my new build. Put together with cheap(ish) parts. I took it out for a spin today and bloody love it. Had one a few years ago and always regretted selling it.

Will be used for local trail riding, dirt jumping and general tomfoolery 🙂

If you comment on the state of the path/garage etc, I couldn’t give a flying **** so pipe down gimps 😛

[/url] IMG_0221 by kudos100, on Flickr[/img]

gonetothehills
    Free Member

That’s a path?! 😉

Bike looks sweet though – proper steel hardtails are a good route to tomfoolery.

kudos100
    Free Member

proper steel hardtails are a good route to tomfoolery.

I had forgotten this temporarily. Never again 😯

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

NS Surges are great bikes. Enjoy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Proper riser bars!

The only thing I would recommend is a short cage x9 mech.

Or, give me your address and I’ll send you a short cage x7 (sans jockey wheels) if you want. It sort of did/didnt work on my bike, I dont think it’s bent as I dont ever recall catching it on anything. You’re welcome to give it a go if you want though.

sv

Loved my Surge 🙁 but it was too small.

Cheezpleez

I like that.

kudos100
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer Dave. I’m keeping the current mech as I’ll be running a wider spread cassette soon.

As has 100mm travel I needed to get the bars as high as possible. Will bump the travel up to 120mm at some point as the BB is a tad too low.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Have always run my hardtails with short travel (usually pikes wound right down). The surge felt awful with short travel. Not sure why. I reckon 130mm would be perfect.

chives
    Free Member

Very nice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The surge felt awful with short travel. Not sure why. I reckon 130mm would be perfect.

Probably down to the BB being too low as mentioned above. When the BB is too low, Im sure it makes the bike harder to jump/hop/manual/etc. on,

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s kind of what I figured. Ironic as the low bb was one of the frame’s attractions for me. 🙂

It’s still a fantastic ride though.

kudos100
    Free Member

Have always run my hardtails with short travel (usually pikes wound right down). The surge felt awful with short travel. Not sure why. I reckon 130mm would be perfect.

I’m quite enjoying it 🙂 The forks are the only thing I have at the moment. I will swap them out for something a bit longer soon.

I agree with you, 130 was the sweet spot for my old surge.

steezysix
    Free Member

Agree, definitely the most fun bike I’ve owned so far. Mine was a bit too small, but great for blasting round the woods!

brooess
    Free Member

Schoolboy error, you’ve just built a 26er.
    It’ll be on the scrapheap by xmas 😉
    Lovely-looking, otherwise

_tom_
    Free Member

Looking good, those surges are really nice frames, fun to ride.Wish I’d picked one up when they were £200 new!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not ridden a Surge but they seem to get good reviews. I was going to buy one, but ended up with an XS BFe that was cheap because it was a seconds. It’s far too small for me but its good fun fir hooning around on in the local woods and sessioning the short DH runs and sketchy jumps.

Looks like you’ll have a blast on it.

Now sort that path out 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New steel hardtail. NS surge – jump bike/xc machine. Fun times!!’ is closed to new replies.