• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by aw.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New SS Explosif build
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

A few months ago I obsessed on here about building up a singlespeed; What frame, what ratio, what tyres? 😛

It’s now rolling, with a few changes still to be made for a proper polished look.

2006 Explosif (Dedacciai SAT) with On-One carbon fork, with a smattering of shiny parts. ‘Tis my dream bike.

Apologies for the dodgy phone pics, I’ll get some studio shots once it’s all finished.

simon1975

Wow, very good. You’ve removed the cable guides and stops. I’d love to ditch the v-bosses from my Unit (which could do with a respray):

shinsplints

nice – looks handy that.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I bought it third-hand – it had the bosses removed at birth, and I got an extra hose guide brazed on when I got it.

The work was done by Argos, and the finish is impeccible! I’d recommend getting it done.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Nice, that. Simple, clean, understated.

Looks like my size, too…

simon1975

Just watch out for tyre clearance, especially if the driveside slider starts to slide on a ride… It’ll soon remove that lovely paintjob from the inside of the chainstays 🙁

Enjoy!

ourmaninthenorth

Lovely.

I still have my old Lava Dome from ’92 (currently in SS guise). Much as I love my Soul, there’s somethign about Kona’s that really flick my switch. Bet it rides wonderfully.

Oh, and nice to see a return of silver finished components!

brack
    Free Member

Fantastic!

What was the total price for the build…have a few retro konas that might be heading that way!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Simon, I have a chaintug on the driveside that you can’t really make out in the pic. Also, someone recommended using large penny-washers under the dropout bolts and carbon assembly paste between frame and dropout to help reduce movement.

ourmaninthenorth, I couldn’t tell you – it hasn’t been out of the lounge yet! The inaugural ride is this weekend, and I’m so excited a little bit of wee just came out.

ourmaninthenorth

lee – that’s a little mor info than was absolutely required. But I’m glad it excites you.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Brack, I bought the frame from pinklol who is on here now and then – it needed some work at Argos and a recoat, which was just over £200 and took about 2 months. Nearly all the parts I bought used from here or eBay… Carbon fork £80, Thomson stem £40, bars £40, King headset £40, Middleburns £40, USE Sumo £20… and used my existing deore hydros and wheels until i can afford the pimpy polished stuff I want!

So all in, probably not spent more than £600.

simon1975

I sorted my sliding with a chaintug too 😉 And I also drilled out out the hanger to take just one massiver bolt on the driveside. Not tried it with a QR wheel though…

brack
    Free Member

Sweet…lotta cash but wotta bike!

Good work.

noteeth
    Free Member

Nice.

Wish I hadn’t sold my (steel, Argos respray) kona kilauea… 🙁

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Yes, I might replace the QR with some nice hex bolts for a cleaner look. Try the gritty assembly paste to tame the sliders – I got some from Pace for a fiver, and the pot will last years!

Harryburgundy
    Free Member

Very nice job fella…clean and simple looks.
    Lets see some more SS Kona’s.
    Here’s mine

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

That’s nice Harry. Have you used an eccentric hub or did you get a mgic ratio? Are those White Industry cranks?

JoB
    Free Member

replace those cheesey allen-bolts on your slidey-dropouts with decent 13mm hex-headed bolts that you can heave on with a decent spanner and you won’t have any slipping issues

looks just like a bike, which is refreshing in this day and age, i’m a bit worried by all your ahead spacers, were you sponsored per inch for charity?

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Hehe thanks Jo. I need to experiment with the stem height; I have a bit of a stiff back and if the bars are too low it’ll cripple me. I’ll probably end up moving the stem down slightly and making sure it’s right before taking a pipe cutter to the steerer.

Thanks for the bolt tip. Are allen bolts cheesey?

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Liking the colour 😀

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Mr Frosty, RAL 5014 (Pigeon Blue).

Yes, I really am that sad.

JoB
    Free Member

Are allen bolts cheesey?

well, those ones are a bit, and it feels better hauling on a 13mm spanner
    🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

looks lovely

one day i’ll get round to replacing all the cheap but functional bits on my love/ hate, get it painted and make it beautiful

Tim

Harryburgundy
    Free Member

That’s nice Harry. Have you used an eccentric hub or did you get a mgic ratio? Are those White Industry cranks?

Cranks are indeed White….also the rear eccentric hub for chain tension

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I toyed with the idea of an eccentric hub, or eccentric bottom bracket – gives you so many options, but I couldn’t justify it given the new wheel build as well.

clunker

Cool retro look, nice build love the colour too 8)

aw
    Free Member

This is my kona cindercone SS conversion. The original bike was a 1997 cone i bought second hand in 99 from recycle in Penge for £230.

The bike has done me excellent service geared and SS and I have tried to replace it with a string of bikes but none has come close…kona cindercone 2001 (alu) and kona unit 2-9.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New SS Explosif build’ is closed to new replies.