Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New spokes or reuse old ones
  • The-Duke

Ok so put a bit of a buckle in my front wheel today after a slow speed crash, lbs has retrued it best they can but still has a slight wobble. If I was to replace the rim should I use new spokes as well or is it fine to reuse the old ones. Wheel has a spank oozy 28 hole rim and straight pull spokes.
    Thanks

Speshpaul

old ones, if they are all the same shape.
    new spank straight pull ones might come up a bit pricey as well

neilnevill
    Free Member

personally if the rim is straight enough to not cause tyre rub on the forks I’d use it, and just keep an eye on it. If it is a bit knackered…and lbs not quite truing it suggests it is past its best, it’ll probably now have a few over tight spokes but will last a good while before they either sap, or more likely in my experience the rim will fail at those spokes by cracking (mavic) or the spoke pulling out. none of the failures will be catastrophic so use the wheel until it dies, then get new spokes and rim.

jimc101
    Free Member

Straight pull spokes = possibly very hard to get replacement + expensive, in this case, would re-use if the new rim is the same or has the same ERD.

taxi25
    Free Member

Spokes have a lifespan, if the wheels not to old you can reuse them.

The-Duke

I can get a new spank rim for £55 so will probably just replace that and see how it goes. I suppose it would be cheaper to buy a new wheel than to replace spokes as well, I could just run it as is but I’m away to Aviemore on Saturday for a weeks biking and want to be confident it’ll not give me any problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New spokes or reuse old ones’ is closed to new replies.