Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New Specialized Demo 8 – serious design flaw?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Just perusing MBUK and spotted the article on the bike in question. What would happen to your left leg if it got too close to the shock as it suddenly compressed on a bottom-out hit?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Most likely…….nothing at all.

njee20
    Free Member

I dunno. Having not seen the bike in question. What are you suggesting would happen?

scotroutes

honourablegeorge

Probably a lot less than if your leg got caught in a linkage.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

interested to see how you would achieve the position

scaredypants

I’m sure somebody’d flog you a neoprene sleeve

Deveron53
    Free Member

I sometimes get tyre buzz on my calves from my bike, I think the coils on this shock might give you a nasty nip at the very least.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, If you somehow contorted your leg fat into the coils then bottomed the shock out it may give a bit of a nip.

That would be the least of your worries though, as in order to achieve that feat you’d be in the midst of a massive crash, and a slightly sore patch of calf fat wouldn’t really be your primary concern.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about the hot brake rotors, or the spikey chain ring the other side tbh.

twohats
    Free Member

Or the sharp pointy rocks flying by at speed…

legend
    Free Member

loads of bikes don’t have anything between your leg and the shock. The Demo just looks a bit different (an more obvious) than the others

cbike
    Free Member

is there even enough piston travel to allow that any way?

jam-bo

If it’s got the right sized spring it shouldn’t be bottoming out by fully compressing the coil anyway.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

As above, the coil doesn’t compress into a solid tube, there’s always space between them. You’re overthinking things

tomhoward

I can name a lot more bikes that have the shock exposed on both sides than ones where it is covered by the frame.

*remembers GT IT1, which has a constantly moving chain, due to the way it’s ‘gearbox’ worked….

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Lovin’ this new demo especially with the öhlins shock which feels lurvely in the flesh.

How much has the Demo changed in all forms over the years 😮
    Best one YET!

Plus op is frickin paranoid, jeez, if you have one then I suggest you ride the soddin kak out of it ya lucky git!

singlespeedstu

Just shave the inside of your left leg.

dans160
    Free Member

Nothing happens. Your leg never gets near enough. And if it did, I reckon there would be more pressing issues to be worried about.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m astounded Specialized haven’t worked out that their new bike chops your left leg off every time you hit a bump. That must have shown up in testing, surely?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How much has the Demo changed in all forms over the years
    Best one YET!

Hold your horses, it’s not shabby, but it’s hardly revolutionary, this one just looks like a carbon version of the ~2006 SX Trail with half the seatube missing!

As for the original question, it’s no more exposed than for example a Trek Session? Or is the shock massively offset? I get tyre/chainstay bruises on my calf though, but I’m unlikely to ever buy one, the price is more of a design flaw, the frame is over 4x what I paid for my current bike!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its a DH bike so you’d have leg armour on so your overthinking is rendered completed irrelevant.

djglover
    Free Member

Has anyone seen the otherside. I heard there was a massive exposed cog with sharp teeth running a metal chain!! Something needs to be done, before someone dies!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I dont think my love of symmetry could tolerate that design. Makes me itch….

legend
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

I dont think my love of symmetry could tolerate that design. Makes me itch….

*waits for pictures of his double-driveside bike (or adult balance bike)*

Deveron53
    Free Member

New Specialized Demo 8 – serious design flaw?

The answer is no. It’s perfect. Thanks for clearing that up.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New Specialized Demo 8 – serious design flaw?’ is closed to new replies.