Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New South Wales trails – Afan and Cwm Carn
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Back from a weekend of South Wales riding and thought I’d post something on the new trails. Note that riding on dry (or even dryish) trails under blue skys after the winter we’ve had means I might not be the most objective reviewer.

Afan
    Penhydd trail was dusty and dry on Thursday. Weird going back to this after so long (I was riding it way back when it first opened as the 9Feet.com) and seeing the same section names but recognising almost nothing. All very open now it’s been felled, trails look like they’ll hold up to hard use in all weather. More natural than it was originally – no more “gravel between two tree trunks” and fairly short – I looped it twice, and went back for the new blue descent, in under 3 hours.

Blade/Skyline – Really enjoyed this – truly world class riding and the best trail centre trail I’ve ridden in a long long while. Again, looks different now it’s been felled but I the vistas it opens mean it’s a lot more scenic than the old ride through endless Larch forest. Some of new sections are properly steep and tight – great fun – and if you extend to Skyline (we looped off to pick up Granada at the end of Hokey Kokey at waypoint 82) you get a few rocky peak district style bridleways thrown in to give a great mix of groomed and natural riding over 40km (and get to ride Hokey Kokey twice). Descending to Glyncorrwg you have the option of either the old Skyline descent (always a favourite) or two new sections. The new descents are properly rocky with some drop offs that are no longer optional – harsh weather for the 6 weeks since opening have meant they’ve depressions at the bottom of the roll out. Very high risk of an OTB if you roll these now so I’d recommend sticking to the old descents if you’re not comfortable with drops.

There was still some mud and puddles on a few sections and there are parts that would benefit from a little early maintenance (but the funding is in place for that) though it’s drying out quickly compared to early reports. We didn’t ride the Whites/Wall but I was told that’s all open now as well (though still some evidence of forestry work on that side so could be the odd minor diversion).

They’ve had a hard few years at Afan with the tree disease and trail closures but it’s time to get back there and ride. I’ll be back as soon as I can find an excuse.

CwmCarn

The new Cafel trail has a very different feel to the old Twrch – much more natural feeling through the woods rather than armoured trail-centre rock. MBR reported it as a slippery off-camber mudfest but it was firm and grippy on Saturday. However, theres already serious wear to the trail with a gulley in the centre of the trail on one of the first descents – it’s going to need some work if it’s to hold up to next winter.

Heading out of the car park on the same initial section at the toll booth it becomes evident you’re heading somewhere new with a steep (properly steep) singletrack climb winding its way up the side of the hill. My GPS recorded about twice as much climb as Twrch (but presumably that means twice as much descent as well). Fantastic fun with tight trails winding through the trees and steep switchbacks when it heads down (and the odd rocky section for variety).

Stitch the two together and you’ve a really good 28km/1200m ride at Cwm Carn now. My 3 hours 20m puts me 6th on Strava for the both – given that included a few chat and snack stops on the Cafel and seeing off my riding mates in the car park before I set off on the Twrch I reckon 3 hours as a blast and 4 as a relaxed group ride.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Glad to hear Cafell is drying out finally. You didnt mention the new DH from the top of it, so guess that isnt open yet?

I reckon the 2 trails together have around 1000m climbing max, but still a fairly big trail centre day.

ps – there’s also a “feature” on Cafell that is barely rollable for the reasons given above, just a warning!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I rode Cafel for the first time yesterday and thought it was fab. We looped around and did the Twyrch trail and they are pretty different in terms of surface. The lack of mud was down to the lovely sunny weather but I can see that quite a few roots are already high in the woody climb/traverse sections and they will get higher unless some work is done. I still loved both and now linking them together makes it a nice proper ride for a day tripper like me. fab.

emsz
    Free Member

I did Afan as well at the weekend. Bits of it are pretty scary and rocky, and I walked some of those, just be a bit careful if your not massively confident

sideshow
    Free Member

I rode Blade a couple of weeks back and didn’t think that any of the drops on the final descent were obligatory. (Was on a 29er though).

DT78
    Free Member

Was at afan on weds for the first time in 2 years.

Blade descent is definitely tough and needs commitment to ride some of those drops. Its all doable though, i was on a scott scale with the saddle at xc height so anyone on a full susser would be fine. Managed to puncture the rear about 40m from the final gate after a heavy landing so picked the bike up and ran the last bit for a pretty good segment time! In the top 5% at the mo, sad i know.

Yet to make it to cwmcarn its on the list!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yep, that is.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

You didnt mention the new DH from the top of it, so guess that isnt open yet?

No – still taped up but opening soon.

I reckon the 2 trails together have around 1000m climbing max, but still a fairly big trail centre day.

My 1200m was from Strava/GPS I think (and Strava normally shows less than the Garmin). I did ride up to the toll booth and back an extra time to recover a rider who’d dumped the bolts out of their rear disc on the way up but that can’t have added more than 50m surely?

ps – there’s also a “feature” on Cafell that is barely rollable for the reasons given above, just a warning!

Yes – I wondered about that. At least one of our group did roll it.

I rode Blade a couple of weeks back and didn’t think that any of the drops on the final descent were obligatory.

That was a few weeks back – there are puddles at the bottom of each and they’re getting worse. Yes, you probably can roll them but definitely high risk and don’t assume you can just because you have before. My guess is there will be a lot of accidents pretty soon and they’ll either be fixed or removed.

myti
    Free Member

If people had to choose one or the other to visit which would you choose? Will be doing BPW in June and want to do one of these trail centres on the other day.

DT78
    Free Member

Depends how fit you are. Cwmcarn is a pretty tough climb

Sam

Where in NSW are these places? Never heard of em. 😉

rentachimp
    Free Member

Rode the Blade descent on Thursday and LOVED the rocky drops.
    Cafall is sublime, even though I crashed onto my face on a really easy down. Virtually no fire road climbing, and some of the ups are hard to clear without dabbing. Downs are pretty varied, but no big drops.
    What’s this unrollable feature?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

However, theres already serious wear to the trail with a gulley in the centre of the trail on one of the first descents – it’s going to need some work if it’s to hold up to next winter.

Think theres some good offers on at the moment that would suit your riding tastes: http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/makeabooking/specialoffers/spring_breaks.jsp?sissr=1

P.s. Top tip: quoting strava rankings makes you cool.

There was still some mud and puddles on a few sections and there are parts that would benefit from a little early maintenance (but the funding is in place for that) though it’s drying out quickly compared to early reports.

Trails in Britain have puddles. Stop crying, it’s not a golf course.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Where in NSW are these places? Never heard of em.

Exactly what I was thinking! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

michaelmcc – Member
    Where in NSW are these places? Never heard of em.
    Exactly what I was thinking!

Also dissapointed 🙁

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

P.s. Top tip: quoting strava rankings makes you cool.

er, yes :-0 Given we were chatting and eating rather than racing was meant to show not that many people seem to be looping both yet (there’s only 14 times) but it’s well worth it.

wallop

Would you have said it if you were 14th? 😆

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

🙂 proud to be last.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New South Wales trails – Afan and Cwm Carn’ is closed to new replies.