Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New Sonder road bike
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Sonder Colibri

Surprised clearance only 28mm though.

AlexSimon

Yep, the 28mm was a surprise to me too. I thought it was going to be a Mason Definition clone with the Fast/Far line. At least they did carbon to keep it different.

A road-bike isn’t for me though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

28mm only?

Odd choice.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Surprised clearance only 28mm though.

Says 30mm in the email. But even 30mm is a bit narrow for that type of bike.

ransos
    Free Member

Yep, the 28mm was a surprise to me too. I thought it was going to be a Mason Definition clone with the Fast/Far line.

28mm and guards is about max for my Definition. Maybe 32mm guardless and with their newer fork.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

even 30mm is a bit narrow for that type of bike.

Confused, it’s a road bike, not a CX, gravel, whatever?

nerd
    Free Member

It’s a Canyon Endurace!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Maybe but if you’re doing ‘transcontinental migrations and unfamiliar roads’ you’d want phat tyres.

jonnyboi

All seems a bit planet x to me.

ransos
    Free Member

Maybe but if you’re doing ‘transcontinental migrations and unfamiliar roads’ you’d want phat tyres.

Josh Ibbett ran 28mm tyres when he won the Transcontinental.

Onzadog
    Free Member

nerd – Member
    It’s a Canyon Endurace!

You’re only saying that because of the seat cluster profile, the skinny stays and the deformed rear side of the seat tube. What real evidence do you have? 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

Josh Ibbett ran 28mm tyres when he won the Transcontinental.

Yeh 28’s are fine for transcontinental migrations, you need 30mm for unfamiliar roads though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeh 28’s are fine for transcontinental migrations, you need 30mm for unfamiliar roads though

Really makes the potholes come alive I’ve heard.

You do need 650bx42 to truly slay the crushed limestone paths though.

thepodge
    Free Member

jonnyboi – Member
    All seems a bit planet x to me.

loads of people left PX and joined Alpkit.

jonnyboi

Onzadog – Member

nerd – Member
    It’s a Canyon Endurace!

You’re only saying that because of the seat cluster profile, the skinny stays and the deformed rear side of the seat tube. What real evidence do you have?

Chainstays not with standing, it also looks nothing like an on one space chicken, nothing at all I tell you

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My Cube GTC Attain Pro Disc bought in May takes ~31mm tyres, now got 28mm on front with ~4mm clearance either side and ~10mm to fork crown, I wouldn’t buy a road bike with 28mm limits these days.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a road bike with 28mm limits these days.

I would, there’s no way I’d want a proper race bike with clearance for fat tyres. That isn’t a race bike though.

Bez

Another bike that positions itself for long rides, where large tyres, mudguards and dyno lighting are all valuable things, and unless I’m not squinting hard enough at this phone it doesn’t seem to be compatible with any of them. Hmm. Why do so many bike designers apparently like being sprayed with mucky water and charging batteries for their big rides?

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, not the most versatile frameset..

mrblobby
    Free Member

mudguards

First thing I looked for. Doesn’t look like it does. Geometry looks ok from a road bike point of view, more road than “adventure”.

CraigW
    Free Member

Sonder already make a gravel/adventure bike, suitable for large tyres and mudguards etc (Camino). What’s wrong with making something different?

Bez

There’s nothing wrong with it as a bike at all, it looks nice enough. It just seems like it has more in common with an uncompromising road bike than the “all weather, all conditions, load it up with luggage, hit the dirt tracks and go on a transcontinental adventure” usage that they’re marketing it at—all of which indeed seems more like the Camino’s bag.

To be fair they do briefly include the word “sportive” in the blurb 😉

aracer
    Free Member

A MAMIL bike marketed to people who want to imagine they’re going on big adventures rather than racing in the TdF when they go out for a ride. Looks perfectly suitable for sportives though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with it as a bike at all, it looks nice enough. It just seems to have more in common with a standard road bike than the “all weather, all conditions, load it up with luggage, hit the dirt tracks and go on a transcontinental adventure” usage that they’re marketing it at—all of which indeed seems more like the Camino’s bag.

I think it’s implying more strada binache and belgian cobbles than ‘gravel’. Missing mudguards aside, I quite like it.

Bez

Finally a bike for the non-leg shaving sportiveur 😉

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Even 35mm tyres aren’t fat these days and 28mm are commonplace on road bikes that aren’t TT speed machines. Typical MAMILs are starting to realise that wider tyres offer more positives than negatives for the type of speed they ride at.

If I’m spending ~£1800 on a road bike, I want more options than upgrading from a typical race 25mm tyre to one size up for some comfort.

IMO, it’s a bike design that is a few years too late.

Klunk
    Free Member

like the colour and a nice ramp too….

edhornby

Sonder already make a gravel/adventure bike, suitable for large tyres and mudguards etc (Camino).

spot on

if you want a bike company with loads of frames that all look so similar it’s confusing, go and look at surly, this is a road bike not a light tourer

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New Sonder road bike’ is closed to new replies.