Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • New softshell
  • mikey74
    Free Member

The zip has gone on my Phantom II (it is really the achilles heel of that model IMO). Any suggestions for an alternative with removable arms?

Failing that, one with non-removable arms and a gillet for the warmer months.

ElShalimo

Pearl Izumi do a softshell with zip off arms.
    Weird fit but going cheap on Amazon at the moment

Edit: weird as in roomy..
    its called Pearl Izumi Men’s Elite Thermal Convertible Jacket

tomkerton
    Free Member

The Morvelo gilets are the business IMO

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll have a look.

What about the Altura Transformer Convertible Windproof?

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Take it to your local seamstress/Taylor…probably be around a tenner to replace the zip!
    Thats what I did with my gore jacket..they also repaired a rip for £6

mikey74
    Free Member

I had this exact same issue with my last Phantom II and looked into a repair then, but I couldn’t find anyone local who would do it.

bigshep
    Free Member

By all accounts Gore will repair zoos for free if you have the receipt…
    Their was a thread on here a couple of months ago talking about it.
    The Phantom II is a Gore jacket isn’t it?

mikey74
    Free Member

Yes, it is Gore jacket, but they only repair for free if the product is of a certain age or less. I can’t remember exactly, but A) I don’t have the receipt, and B) I think it is too old.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!

nealy
    Free Member

Take it to a tailor or dry cleaning place that do repairs and get the zip replaced then spend the money you save on shiny stuff

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s the problem: There isn’t a tailors in my town. I have been to a dry cleaners and they don’t do weather resistant zips.

notlocal
    Free Member

YKK Vislon Aquaseal or similar from eBay. Much cheaper than a new jacket, and a lot greener.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thank you for the input but can we forget the repair option for now? Until I fine somewhere to get it done, it’s not an option.

So, recommendations for a new road cycling jacket, specs as per OP.

cinnamon_girl

http://www.scottishmountaingear.com repaired my Gore Windstopper jacket, zip pocket needed replacing. Also repaired my Wingnut.

Very happy with the service, they’d been recommended on here.

nedrapier

The same people (used to be tundra repair) replaced the main zip in my ME Goretex Jacket and took the waist in on my snowboard trousers – full length zips, taped seams, they unpicked the zip half from the seat/back, cut out a taper, restiched, resited the poppers, retaped the stitching.

Such a neat job that I had to try them on to check they’d actually done anything.

mikey74
    Free Member

I looked into them last time this happened and the turn-around was something like two weeks. I can’t be without a jacket for two weeks.

ElShalimo

Buy a cheap PlanetX one and send yours off for repair if you can’t wait 2 weeks

mikey74
    Free Member

£60 is an expensive “stop-gap” 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just back from Scottish Mountain Gear: £40 to replace the zip, plus £8 carriage. Plus I am looking at a minimum of 21 day turnaround.

So, that brings me back to the OP: Recommendations for a new softshell? To be mainly used for road duties.

nealy
    Free Member

What about a Phantom II?

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm, I would like to avoid the same issue in the future, so I am looking for alternative options.

For a waterproof softshell for colder days, you won’t get much better than a Stealth, but may not meet all your requirements

gren
    Free Member

Do the Alp-Xs have better zips? They are supposed to be more mtb specific and could be heftier items?

I love my Phantom II and the zip is fine after 2 years but I can see it’s not the burliest. The actual softshell material though is awesome and I’d be looking at another Gore product if possible.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thermal performance, breathability and windproof[-ness] are my main criteria, but if it is waterproof too, then all the better.

mikey74
    Free Member

So what about a winter cycling jersey with a lightweight shell over?

I am now thinking of replacing the “one jacket does it all” with more layers.

Any recommendations?

There are still some of these left in small/medium/XL (colour/size dependant) at Cyclestore for £59.98 (rrp £150). I’ve got one, so has a mate – seem really well made and a bargain price.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Bought a Berghaus windstopper soft shell jacket for £34 in TK Maxx a month back. Worth a look there?

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks STR but only brown in my size.

Penny: No nearby TK Maxx

The Brown is fine – that’s the colour both my mate and I have and we weren’t stuck for choice

ElShalimo

Have a look at the Dare2b stuff for a cheap stop-gap

http://www.dare2b.com

mikey74
    Free Member

The Brown is fine – that’s the colour both my mate and I have and we weren’t stuck for choice

But I don’t want brown.

dragon
    Free Member

Mavic? Their higher end ones have vents on the arms, which would get someway towards not having removable arms.

tayls
    Free Member

I can recommend the endura convert jacket,warm, well made, fit is good with room to layer, sleeves fold up and fit in the back pockets.nice feel to the material too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone tried any of the dhb Roubaix offerings?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘New softshell’ is closed to new replies.