Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New soda now from lynskey!
  • tang
    Free Member

just had a mail from cotic, seems merlin cant do the order so now lynskey have stepped in, same forming/new desgn and keeping the cowled drop outs. £1500. this may well push me on one bound for a lynskey built frame…shame theyre not closer in price.

After the success of Cycle Show, over the last 6 weeks I've been working really hard to get to a point where we could place an order with Merlin for the Sodas.

Unfortunately, 10 days ago Merlin stated that their OE production is
    sold through for 2010 and the solution they offered me as alternative
    wasn't acceptable. They certainly weren't able to give us a
    commitment to the long term which we really wanted for both ourselves
    and our customers. It's a shame, especially considering how much time
    has been lost when we have a lot of very patient and very loyal
    customers waiting for the Cotic Soda to make it's return to
    production. However, as things were beginning to look shakey with
    Merlin, I got in touch wiith Mark Lynskey about building us frames,
    and he's been brilliant. Lynskey can build pretty much immediately,
    have provided superb service and they've offered the level of tube
    manipulation, shaping and finishing we have seen from Merlin on the
    frame you all saw at Cycle Show, which will make the Soda everything
    we want it to be. The added bonus here is that the frame can be a
    little more Cotic in terms of final touches; the cowled dropouts are
    back for one thing! There is, of course, the full Cotic warranty back
    up, fully supported by Lynskey.

We have committed to an order with Lynskey, and will have 32
    frames arriving in around 3 months with rolling orders coming in
    during the year. The price will be £1,500 including all the usual
    Cotic niceties such as a Hope QR, chainstay protector, vinyl down tube
    decal option should you so wish, and UK delivery. They will be
    available directly from Cotic, or from any of our official Cotic
    dealers. To reserve your Cotic Soda you need to place a 10% (£150)
    deposit with Cotic or your Cotic Dealer to be sure of receiving one of the first batch.

If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to drop us a line at
    info@cotic.co.uk, or call 07970 853531.

johnners
    Free Member

£1500!

I'd rather buy 3 Souls for that money. You'd get 3 sets of "niceties" too, if you like that sort of thing.

deus

nice ties, oooh paisley 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    saladdodger
    Free Member

Sounds a lot like ABG (owners of Merlin and Litespeed) are giving up getting carbon frameset made in the far east and re badging them

Or are they loosing there frambuliders to Linskey

cy

All Lynskey built frames are not the same. They're not closer in price to On One for a number of reasons, but mainly the ones you mention above: New design/tube forming, cowled dropouts, niceties, plus an amazing finish that Lynskey charge $375 at retail for in the US. So it's higher spec tubing, better/nicer fittings, better finish, all the things you need thrown in, and better service, warranty and back up from Cotic. Plus I designed it. Cotic's never been about being the cheapest, it's about being the best.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Stop it Tang!

the_lecht_rocks

lol – everyfooka's on the lynskey bandwagon.
    on one.
    ragley.
    cotic.
    cove.

who else ?

the_lecht_rocks

Plus I designed it. Cotic's never been about being the cheapest, it's about being the best.

keep trying and i'm sure you'll get there.
    is this Soda going to have in-built noodlism too ?

tang
    Free Member

granted- i have a soul/roadrat, cotic just do it for me. my choice of ti would be the new soda, and one day it may. right now tho £££ rule and my dreams are losing. im still saving for the spring build tho and there is some overtime at work..
    cy- got to have been a shitter after all the work/press and, lets face it drooling, after the show?

kelvin

Ooo.. hadn't realised there was a new Cove Hummer, and that Lynskey were building it. Just had a peep on their site, and it's a lot better looking than the previous version, isn't it?!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Hope so, I just ordered one mwahaha

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I like Cotic, of all the UK based frame companies, they just seem to do things 'right' to my mind. It's all about the details, which is where On One and others, seem to fall flat… Bits of gas-pipe poorly wedged into a bike-shaped form… or sections of filing cabinet roughly bolted together.

I love the Soda… Now if I could just find where I left that spare 1500… 😕

metalheart
    Free Member

no, I didn't see this.no I didn't see this…

damn…

you cotic peeople are evil

cy

tang – yes, it's a pain because of all the promotion, but mainly because we'd have frames sooner if we'd gone with Lynskey in the first place instead of mucking about with Merlin. Glad to have the Soda on it's way back!

mt
    Free Member

How long will it be before OnOne are no longer able to have Ti frames made by Lynskey?

MrSmith
    Free Member

it's about being the best.

that's quite a bold statement. does that exclude frame failures or getting your paying customers to test rear stays for 3 years?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Mr Smith – What do you mean by getting customers to test tear stays for 3 years?

soma_rich
    Free Member

that's quite a bold statement. does that exclude frame failures or getting your paying customers to test rear stays for 3 years?

crumbs… 😯

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I think he is referring to the Hemlock.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Disgruntled Cotic owner maybe?
    Sits back, brew in hand, awaiting arrival of spanking new Hummer (the one with the strong stays :wink:)

MrSmith
    Free Member

not a disgruntled cotic owner, posts on here suggest they look after their customers.

Most manufactures strive towards a better product (apart from apollo with their 'rampage' model) but to offer a mission statement about being the best when there is an active thread on this forum about 3 years of 3 different stay designs with 'issues' seemed a bit odd.
    people love their cotics so they are obviously doing a lot a right, but nearly right isn't "being the best"

kelvin

I'm not going to talk about the Hemlock stays, as it's all be gone over (and over) in that other thread:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-is-wrong-with-hemlocks

Soda:

is this Soda going to have in-built noodlism too ?

Is that a not very polite way of asking if the new Soda is designed to be stiffer?
    Yes, and without going up to the weight of some of the others, or loosing compliance.
    Some cut and pasting from the Cotic website coming up for the lazy…

kelvin

Right, first, seat-tube. This taken from the "Development History"

Summer 2008: Meet with Kate and Ian Potter to discuss the race and production Sodas they're both using. Feedback from some customers and test riders is that now forks and tyre technology has moved forward, the Sodas sometimes wayward characteristics were making a re-appearance when pushed hard. This is a tricky dilemma, as the Soda was intended to be relatively compliant compared to the Soul to accentuate the titanium feel, but technical trail riding is what we all love at Cotic, so it seemed that beefing up the Soda a little to give it some more precision could be a good thing. Some development work had already been done on an oversized tubeset, and Kate also now has some custom sizing requirements. I also felt the carbon seat tube was something of a developmental dead end. So, 2 prototypes are soon designed and ordered – a full ti custom fitted frame for Kate with oversized ti seat tube, and a large sized frame for me and Ian to ride with stiffer top tube as well.

December 2008: The prototype arrives with larger diameter seat tube and top tube so that all the torsional stiffnesses are close to the Soul. This results in a much more precise ride, and because the larger seat tube requires a much thinner shim for the 31.6mm seatpost, this offsets most of the weight increase due to the larger tubes.

April 2009: First batch of oversized frames arrives along with Kate's race frame. Kate reports that it's the fastest bike she's ever ridden!

kelvin

Right, top-tube. This is taken from the diagram at the top of the Soda product page

Ovalform top tube maximises handling accuracy whilst minimising vertical harshness

If you're genuinely interested in the changes, just drop Cotic an email. Exciting to have the Soda moving forward at last, after so many development frames. Kate's experiences at the big races on the various prototypes have really helped improve things, just so annoying that people have had to wait so long to get their hands on the results of the work Cy, the Potters, and others have done.

kelvin

As for the down-tube, I don't understand all the changes going on there, but I believe it's all about added stiffness and strength. One for Cy, and possibly about 5 other people on here, to explain. Far too complicated for me.

nicko74

Plus I designed it. Cotic's never been about being the cheapest, it's about being the best.

hehehe… like it!
    As for noodly, I guess some people ride them harder than others – personally I reckon it's compliant without being soft, and hence the perfect mix. But then sticking some Maxle Rebas on the front end might change that impression, I suppose…

the_lecht_rocks

who built the development frames ? lynskey ?
    if not, then i expect there'll be a difference in ride feel.
    as for bettering all others………………lol 🙄

tang
    Free Member

i think it should have read 'its about trying our hardest to offer the best product to the rider, this adds cost' which to be fair is what cy is saying. being the best is a claim best made with caution. i can say for me, the soul has been my best frame. however, that only means something to me.

kelvin

who built the development frames ? lynskey ?
    if not, then i expect there'll be a difference in ride feel.

The ride feel isn't in the welding, it's in the tube shape/material/thickness and frame design, all of which is Cotic's decision.

I see it as great news that the Soda is going to be welded by the Lynskey people, they do "quite" a tidy job = ;87)

puddle-rider
    Free Member

Enough said!

chaingangcycles
    Free Member

As a new COTIC dealer I know that Cy and Paul are madly passionate about their bikes, as are their many Cotic riders. Being a Titanium nut myself I have ordered one of the first Soda frames and personally can't wait to get my hands on it. If any of you guys fancy trying it out give me a call and I will make you a cup of coffee, shut up shop for a few hours and take you out on the local trails around Hereford to see for yourself. Mine's a large one !! let's 'ave it !
    chaingang@btconnect.com

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

not a disgruntled cotic owner, posts on here suggest they look after their customers.

Someone in 'not owned/not broken but still having a pop' shocker.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New soda now from lynskey!’ is closed to new replies.