Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New SLX brake bleeding
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Just wondering if this is the correct little bleed pot for the new style shimsno brakes.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=919693&categoryId=273955&langId=-1

I’ve bled them before using 2 syringes, but surely the non return valved pot on the lever end is a better option?

doubledunter
    Free Member

Thats the one 🙂

iainc

Worth having a look at the epic solutions shimano one if needing full kit. It has a syringe that screws onto top

benjbish

Thoroughly recommend the Epic bleed solutions kit.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Used that to bleed my slx brakes about five minutes ago.
    I do it the same way as a car. Undo bleed nipple on caliper a quarter of a turn then pull lever. Do bleed nipple up then release lever…and repeat. Seems to drive all the old crap out. It’s very quick using that funnel as you don’t even have to remove the reservoir cap.

Lester
    Free Member

nice one, thats exactly what i needed !!

steve_b77
    Free Member

The epic one is a PITA as the syringe on the lever end has too much resistance to get an effective bleed IMHO

kayak23

the syringe on the lever end has too much resistance to get an effective bleed IMHO

I found this too actually, and had the syringe suddenly pop its seal on me….and on the bike…..and the floor…etc.

I found the best way is to remove the caliper, pump the pads out until nearly touching, bleed upwards to the funnel with a syringe on the caliper. remove funnel then replace bleed screw, then prise pads apart, refit and away.
    My XTs are solid now.

iainc

Those that found ‘too much resistance’ – did you have the plunger in the syringe on the top ? Its meant to be done with no plunger so the syringe is exactly same as the open funnel.

kayak23

If I recall, it tells you to push one way, then the other.
    Edit – Just looked at instructions. Pretty sure they’ve changed but hey ho… Sounds like the right process to get a spot on bleed…

iainc

Kayak – I double checked before posting by watching the epic bleed clip. The main bleed is bottom up with no plunger in syringe. Top down is achieved by putting a head of oil in the open syringe and doing the open nipple/pump/close routine

iainc

Kayak – simultaneous posts 🙂

bikerdan
    Free Member

Epic guidance changed from having the plunger in to not using it. The oil causes the seal to swell and stops it moving.

ruffride
    Free Member

Get the yellow pot an fill it an bleed like car brakes mark sure there’s always oil in pot close up an enjoy

tomaso
    Free Member

I did mine last week the way I’d do a motorcycle – took cap of reservoir added fluid pumped and bled until I got good feel. Easy

paladin

tomaso – Member
    I did mine last week the way I’d do a motorcycle – took cap of reservoir added fluid pumped and bled until I got good feel. Easy

Snap.

coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth noting that air can get trapped in the reservoir, leading to potential problems if the bike’s inverted. Tilting the bike side to side and flicking the lever when the bleed-cup is attached helps release these bubbles.

mattrgee
    Free Member

I’ve always bled the rear brake off the bike as there’s too many places for air to get trapped otherwise. Typically bleed them like car.

Also, make sure the pistons are moving equally as this can cause poor performance and a lot of lever throw. There’s a good video from Hope that shows how to adjust the pistons with the brake pads and wheel in place. Works for any other type of brake as well.

pdw
    Free Member

Bleeding with an open syringe is just the same as using the pot. The only challenge is how to avoid spilling all the fluid when you disconnect it. I use a hose clamp below the open syringe. Epic suggest syringing it out with the other syringe.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

To clear up any confusion, Bikerdan is spot on. We had a problem with the syringe plunger seal swelling at the lever. This is now resolved and we have changed our bleed process accordingly to match Shimano’s.

Here’s the updated guide:

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/how-to-bleed-new-shimano-brakes/

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New SLX brake bleeding’ is closed to new replies.