Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • New Singletrack Issue feedback thread.
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Loving the new matte cover. Thats a really nice touch.

However the copyright mark in the middle of the E is making my OCD twitch. Sorry STW designers.

The new page ink is awesome also. It feels so premium and weighty. Great job.

Not actually read the content yet because pictures.

AlexSimon

I don’t think the © is deliberate. I suspect that someone selected the logo and centred it on the page, forgetting that the © was separate.

Not that I’ve ever done that – oh no not at all.

g5604
    Free Member

yes, we need a change.org petition to move the copyright outside of the logo.

Mark

Be gentle on Jorji please. She’s gutted about the copyright symbol sneaking in there. Spotted just after the cover had been plated up at the printers so too late to fix.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Is it on smelly paper? the postman’s not arrived today

Harry_the_Spider

Be gentle on Jorji please. She’s gutted about the copyright symbol sneaking in there.[/Quote]Being human is what sets you apart from the other mags.

theotherjonv

Be gentle on Jorji please. She’s gutted about the copyright symbol sneaking in there

Well i think it’s unforgivable. Bad girl, no pudding!

(I haven’t actually seen it myself yet, but i love sniffing new magazines so getting strangely excited about seeing/smelling it)

rOcKeTdOg

Hasn’t it been Matte for ages?

I thought Matt had left? Etc Etc

benji
    Free Member

My digital copy smells no different from normal 😆

binners

I’ve also never ever done the thing with the copyright symbol on a logo. Oh no. Definitely not. Or generally left stray bits of random, ungrouped Illustrator files all over the shop. Honest guv!

I feel your pain Jorji. We’ve all been there. It sends my OCD mental when I spot something like that, once its gone to print.

AlexSimon

Oh – as it’s a feedback thread – first quick flick through looks good. Looking forward to reading the FTW interview.

MrNice
    Free Member

I can confirm the paper copy (thudded onto the doormat an hour ago) is on smelly paper

and it’s a good dangerous to dogs weight

Riksbar

As a non designer, I loved the cover photo and had assumed that the copyright symbol was a neat design touch to help complement the central rider. Kudos Jorji (that probably makes you feel worse :oops:)

binners

this has instigated a conversation, among us ****y graphic design types about our various ‘moments’.

I’m winning so far with sending a previous un-amended version to print, because I hadn’t updated it on the server, and having a 5,000 mag print run, for our biggest client, pulped and reprinted. Oops! Talking about it has brought back that horrible hollow, falling feeling I got on the awful realisation.

Stray copyright symbols. Pfft! Command shift ‘c’ on an ungrouped file. At least it’s neat 😉

Another one was when I worked at the sadly missed City Life mag, which was sent to print with a photo caption, slotted in pre-press by my colleague, and somehow unoticed, which read ‘get one of those lazy bastard sub-eds to write some copy for this’. 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

Foo-call so far on the Surrey Riviera. Was it sent out by pigeon post ?

ART

Sub copy not here yet 😥

scc999

Same. Was looking forward to chilling out on the sofa with it. Sad face.

mattbee

Got mine down in sunny Hants, nice thick heavy smelly thing it is too. Has some nice words in a pleasing order and some lovely pictures.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Mine not here either. Postie must be in a layby sniffing it.
    As I posted elsewhere, a bit strange as my copy usually arrives before it goes live on the website. Anything different done this time?

joat

Mmmm, smells loverrly. Lovely looking mag, I wonder if I should start keeping them all again.

sheeps

wonder if I should start keeping them all again

What do you mean again!? Every copy from no.1 (bought from their stand at the keilder trailquest in the depths of the foot and mouth crisis) currently weighing down the shelves here

mtbfix

Solid enough that the post could hardly get it through the slot.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

MrNice – Member
    I can confirm the paper copy (thudded onto the doormat an hour ago) is on smelly paper

$hite, Privateer used to give me headaches when reading it because of the smell. If it’s the same I’ll have to down grade to digital only.

ianfitz
    Free Member

It’s arrived in Sheffield. Smell is different but tolerable 🙂 a good read as always.

Cover typesetting blunder is fair enough but the mix up of the headings in the summary of the carbon hard tails review on page 94 is a simple proof reading fail.

I’m taking my pedant hat off now as it’s past my bedtime.

binners

For those going on about the typesetting – I don’t know what you do for a living but if you want to experience genuine stress then try being a designer on press day. Great fun it isn’t! It’s a ****ing nightmare! Of thd highest order!!

Take a look at what MBR looks like. Or MBUK. Or anything else. Shite! Then have a look at Singletrack. These things generally reflect the time and effort put into them. There are couple of minor issues. Get over it FFS!!!! The mag Looks great! Head and shoulders above everything else!!

maxtorque

Arrived today, practically killed the cat as it thudded through the letter box. Cat now avoiding the hallway completely! 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Something that smells like a Panini sticker album and is full of pictures of bikes should be cherished. I had a flashback to the summer of ’77 when bikes and pictures of footballers with bad hair ruled my world. Jumpers for goal posts anyone?

Thinking of ordering a sub for next door in the hope that their cat sleeps under the letter box.

leffeboy

My digital copy smells no different from normal

couldnt we digital subs folks pay few extra quid and get a smelly sticker to pit on our tablets whole we read it?

Looks forward to a read when im back from my ride this morning. May have to pretend you have used beer as the solvent for your ink

binners

I’m Glad I’m not the only one who keeps them all. Don’t bother with any other mag as I view them as disposable. Design-wise it’s always been a cut above. So all my Singltracks are neatly arranged on a shelf. Tragic really, isn’t it? 😀

Sandwich

Be gentle on Jorji please. She’s gutted about the copyright symbol sneaking in there. Spotted just after the cover had been plated up at the printers so too late to fix.

The boss approved a brochure print run just before a Christmas do with a hyphenated split word on the front cover. My how we laughed, especially when we had to apply a sticker over each one with the correct layout.

jorji

Ah crap, was hoping this might’ve gone mostly unnoticed!! I’ve not seen a copy yet, nor will do for a wee while. But yes, we’re just your regular mistake-making humans at the mag, working to tight deadlines, often late into the night, all bleary eyed. The designers amongst you understand it seems – our mistakes are unfortunately very public.

For the positive comments above, they’re super kind and thank you. Binners in particular, I owe you a beer!!

So till next issue – and whatever we manage to cock-up then!! ;0)

DavidB
    Free Member

This is probably a daft question but everyone I know in the mag. trade ends up on stupid deadlines, yet they are all known well well in advance? Is it down to slackness in those providing the copy/photos. I’d do anything to have a known regular deadline. Mine are always 25 hours after the customer decides to ring.

binners

Think about the logistics. Decent copy and photography takes planning, time and effort. And there’s no budget. So the same people produce it all. You can’t do that simultaneously. So all work comes in when it comes in. If you’re doing an article on a five day trip to Moab, then that takes…. 5 days. And everyone’s doing that.so you put together what you can, to fit a page plan that will change completely, approximately every 30 seconds. Then you’ll sell, or not sell, advertising, that will change the page plan again. Then again. And again.

Every minute you, as a designer, waits for stuff which doesn’t arrive, is another minute added to the chaos of press day. And you don’t just ‘drop stuff in’when it arrives. You have to design it. Why do you think the mag looks so good? It isn’t by ‘dropping things in’, that’s for sure.

But…. In my extensive experience in this field, all journo’s and photographers are bone idle layabouts, complete pissheads, or both, and generally rely on the designers to bail them out at the last minute. Isn’t that right Chipps? 😛

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Well, very minor design layout issues aside, I thought it was great! Not read it all yet but it is in a different league to the other MTB mags.

I particularly appreciated the editorial comments about ‘those that do and those that don’t’. Even on the very micro level of the Monday Night Pub Ride there are only a few that are prepared to lead / organise the rides. The rest are happy to follow!

I suppose i should give some thought to either helping out in a proper event or maybe giving a few hours to trail building. Work and family issues make it very easy to say i havent got time for that, but thats probably just an excuse. I suppose any volunteering like that would be at the expense of riding time and thats the crux of the issue.

As the forum is born of the mag, i’m surprised really that a feedback thread to the latest issue isnt a permanent sticky. Once all the crap comments are discarded i suspect it would prove useful to the team.

GregMay
    Free Member

Spent my morning train ride sniffing the mag. May have looked weird. Don’t care. Mmmmm vegetable ink. Almost edible, almost.

eviljoe
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to getting mine-

Anyone else in Devon got theirs yet? 🙁

fionap

Mine got to London on Saturday afternoon. The post up here is far worse than in rural Cornwall – seems to be a few different companies delivering it (Whistl being one of the more prominent) and it can turn up any time between 10am-7pm, often seems to be days missing when there should be a delivery.

More importantly, the magazine smells amazing!

dazzlingboy

Yep – smells so good.

nickc

The contents photo is just….OMG the colours. wow

Waking the sleeping giant is a fab piece of writing.

Ace, as usual

Thanks

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

this has instigated a conversation, among us ****y graphic design types about our various ‘moments’.

I had a load of MX consumer catalogues with an expensive spot varnish and bright pink Pantone cover come back with a dull pink CMYK converted cover…

Yes, I’d not got a proof.

The spot varnish looked nice tho.

😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘New Singletrack Issue feedback thread.’ is closed to new replies.