• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mj27.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Silestone Worktop Damage
  • chris101
    Free Member

We have just had our very expensive (6k) Silestone Quartz worktop installed yesterday into our kitchen and during this evening when inspecting one of the cutouts, I have noticed some deepish scratches!

Not sure what should be my approach?
    The worktops were ordered and installed from a professional worktop company but was all arranged by the kitchen company that we bought our new kitchen from.

We have also noticed some damage to our walls – paint and some areas where some minor decorating will be required as they removed some skirting and had to make holes in the wall for the upstand…

Should we be kicking up a fuss about these issues and getting the kitchen company to arrange/resolve or should we expect some minor issues, as above?

FuzzyWuzzy

If the deep scratches are in a visible place then yeah I’d complain to the kitchen company, although wasn’t it possible to inspect during the installation, could have been rejected before it was installed then?

As for the redecorating, if it’s not a 5 minute fix for you to do then I’d raise that to, you’ve got a right to expect a decent job was done and holes/skirting board not put back doesn’t sound very professional.

Have you paid for it all upfront? Doesn’t affect your rights but they may be a bit more proactive if waiting on payment still.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The firm that supplies our stone would be coming back out to either polish the scratches out or replace the tops, no questions.

They also make good tops of upstands etc. But I’d draw the line at minor decoration, fitting is awkward and heavy and a little damage can sometimes not be avoided. If bad our kitchen company would probably foot the bill, but I think it unrealistic to have a kitchen/worktops fitted and expect not to decorate afterwards somewhat.

chris101
    Free Member

Here are the pics of the issues –
    Please let me know what you all think?

newrobdob
    Free Member

I can’t see the scratches as the pictures aren’t great but most of that would be sorted with a tube of silicon which is what I’d expect after having something fitted like that. I don’t know about the joints between the worktops though , that isn’t what I’d expect for £8k.

My whole new kitchen with solid oak worktops cost less than half of your worktops!

edlong
    Free Member

I’m with Blazin’ on this one – damage to the worktops themselves should absolutely be addressed by the supplier, whether that’s polishing out or replacing entirely is their problem, but minor decorating touch-ups in the area I would expect as par for the course and accept.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yep, all the agps between the worktop/upstand and the wall should have been siliconed – you can’t blame them if your walls aren’t true. The same goes for the skirting board – that’s nothing to do with them.

That joint on the second row (rhs) is weird and I don’t understand why it would be cut like that as I’d imagine that it’s liable to damage. The other joint below is poor and looks like it’s either be cut or installed wrong.

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s a pretty easy touch up but I’d be annoyed if I’d paid someone and they left it like that. Probably why I DIY.

dantsw13

Have you paid a kitchen company to supply/fit the lot? If so, they need to sort it.

Upstansds will always have gaps as they are ramrod straight & walls aren’t. They need sealing.

andybrad

Paid for it doing. Expect it doing properly. Get them back.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yep – tell them about it, tell them you are writing up a snagging list and you’ll be expecting all items on the snagging list to be completed before final payment. You haven’t paid in full yet have you?

mj27
    Free Member

I usually DIY all my own work but on the odd occasions I get a trade into do anything I am clear on my expectations.

In your case I would give them a call and explain that you feel the job is not completed as you would have expected considering the cost involved and also that it was a managed installation by a 3rd party supplier so they might want to inspect the work they are contracting on your behalf.

They want you to be happy so let them know you are not (in a nice way) and invite them to come and have a look for themselves.

Easy to resolve, it’s just about talking to each other and setting out your expectations (for £8k…. mine would be very high)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Silestone Worktop Damage’ is closed to new replies.