Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New shoes for flats
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Time to replace my worn 5-10 Karvers, which have been fantastic. Anything else out there worth checking out? I hear Vans now do some that are supposed to be pretty good – any experiences?

I may just end up getting some more Karvers.

jimjam
    Free Member

I am now on my second pair of vans gravels(s?). Anyway, I also own some 5 10 impacts, and a pair of 5 10 Red Baron Freeriders and the vans are usually the shoe I go looking for if they are dry. The grip is comparable to 5 10s, they are much lighter and don’t get as sodden and heavy. They dry out more quickly too, but that can still be a right wee while.

They are stiff enough for pedaling all day in and the build quality is on a par with 5 10. The upper is pretty tough and water proof, though this time of year it’s usually water/muck running down your leg and into your shoe that’s the problem.

They only negatives I would add are that when new, the top of the tongue can rub/annoy the bridge of the foot on extended out of the saddle climbs, and if you ride in areas with heavy clay and are off the bike, the clay can become compacted into the sole, meaning little or no grip. Almost never happens though unless you are digging and riding.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers for the info. How does the Vans sizing compare to the 5-10s?

talkingdrum
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Teva Links Mid and can really recommend them. Really comfortable, a great winter shoe, maybe check them out as well.

jimjam
    Free Member

mikey74

Cheers for the info. How does the Vans sizing compare to the 5-10s?

I take a 9 in my normal shoes, a 9 in vans and a 9 in 5 10s. Pretty normal I’d say.

eskimonumber1

I’ve got the 5 10 Freeriders and find them decent. They seem to dry out fairly quickly and have stiff sole too.

skids
    Free Member

I use anything, etnies, DC, Vans whatever. It doesn’t matter if your pedals are decent. You don’t need extreme amounts of grip on your shoes if you want to be able to maneuver. You might as well use clipless in that case

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New shoes for flats’ is closed to new replies.