Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New Shoes…?
  • mboy
    Free Member

What to replace some old Shimano AM45’s with? I’ve got some lovely carbon soled Lake XC race shoes for summer XC rides. Got Winter boots for winter duties. My AM45’s have been used for pretty much everything inbetween, and it’s almost time they were retired.

Obvious answer would be the new Shimano AM9’s, but am I missing something by not looking elsewhere? Must admit that I quite like the idea of the Giro Terraduro’s, but have no idea on the fit or if they’re stiff enough (or indeed, too stiff) etc. A mate has just bought a pair of Five-Ten Kestrel’s and raves about them too, and having read the reviews, the only negative is about the BOA lacing system and I happen to be a bit of a BOA fan anyway… So…

FWIW, mostly to be used on my 160mm travel full sus bike (not that it matters) with Nukeproof Horizon CL pedals. Will use my XC shoes when riding my hardtail.

jam-bo

2fo cliplite.

matt007
    Free Member

I’ve just retired my old m162’s and went for a pair of the 2fo cliplites (ones with boa laces) very impressed so far. The boa laces make it really easy to get even tightness on both feet compared to just Velcro or lace closures.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from AM45s to these:

Northwave Enduro Mid

Don’t let the name put you off, they’re about 1/2 the weight of the Shimanos, closure dial works nicely, extra height around the angle is a nice touch, they feel more instinctive to clip and they’re better off the bike if you ever have to hike up anything.

They’re also the 1st set of clips I’ve not had to attack with a Dremel to get the cleats far enough back. Extra height

roastdinner
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack but how do you find the Horizon CL’s? I like the look of them but slightly concerned as to how easy they are to get clipped in compared to say the Shimano DX’s or DMR VTwin’s where the SPD mechanism is suspended allowing you to ‘kick in’ in with the cleat.

Like you I was looking to pair them with AM9’s, they’re cheaper than other similar shoes and you know they’ll just work.

fathomer

Four rides into using Spec 2fo Cliplites and really liking them so far. Pretty stiff, light and comfy but don’t look like disco slippers.

Also interested in how you’re finding the Nukeproof pedals, like roastdinner I fancy either them or the DMR’s.

Bedds
    Free Member

I’ve got some Northwave Spiders, they’re great (and quite bright!)

qwerty
    Free Member

darrell
    Free Member

Been using Giro Terraduro for a couple of years now as my go to for anything shoes. Riding-commuting-cx etc

they are very very comfy and a brilliant shoe

highly recommended. And for me, fit true to size and just that little bit wider than xc shoes

craighill
    Free Member

Five ten kestrel with the boa system for me, I love them

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack but how do you find the Horizon CL’s? I like the look of them but slightly concerned as to how easy they are to get clipped in compared to say the Shimano DX’s or DMR VTwin’s where the SPD mechanism is suspended allowing you to ‘kick in’ in with the cleat.

One ride on them so far… But V impressed. I specifically didn’t want a pedal where the mechanism rotates separately to the platform body, I ran M647’s and Mallets in the past, and found with a rotating mechanism the pedals were always harder to clip into rather than easier! I’ve been running XT Trail pedals for years now, which are very easy to get into, but don’t offer quite the support I’ve wanted. In terms of feel at least, the Horizon CL’s are as easy to get into as the XT trails, but have noticably more support. Also, if you don’t manage to clip straight in, the few small pins afford a small amount of grip that you don’t get on most other pedals.

Time will tell, but yeah, so far, I’m impressed.

FWIW my mate got a set of V-Twin’s at the same time, precisely because he prefers a pedal with a rotating mechanism. He’s happy so far too. Horses for courses I guess…

2fo cliplite.

Now, if only they weren’t Specialized… Shame really, they do look quite good!

Few good suggestions otherwise for sure, not so convinced by those Northwave Enduro shoes mind. Could live with the name, not sure I could live with the styling!

Been using Giro Terraduro for a couple of years now as my go to for anything shoes. Riding-commuting-cx etc

Which version have you been using? The low or the mid version?

Five ten kestrel with the boa system for me, I love them

They do look good to be fair. Anyone know who the UK distributor is for Five Ten these days?

qwerty, not sold on the ME series shoes for some reason… They’re probably fantastic but I just don’t like the styling.

jonk

Lake MX180 here and very very good!

mboy
    Free Member

jonk, I love Lake shoes in general, fit and quality is 2nd to none, have had a number of pairs over the years and currently own 2 pairs of Lake road shoes and 1 pair of MX331 XC race shoes. However… I just can’t get my head round the styling of the MX180!!! 😕

mboy
    Free Member

Any Terraduro users?

What do you reckon to them? They look like an optimal performance, comfort and durability combination to me, and I quite like the looks too…

prawny

I think the northwave ones look great 😀

I’ve got some barely used AM45s in my garage that have been hardly used if you don’t fancy a change and are a size 44.

bruneep

Got the Northwave mid enduro, I really like them only issue is the cover caps for the ratchet system can come off when banging shoes together to “clean” 😳

orena45

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch II ?

Comes in enduro green or enduro black 😉 (edit: also enduro orange soon as well)

Had a pair for a month and comfortable. My first experience with BOA lacing and much prefer it to laces or the ratchet system on my Shimano M200 shoes.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro 4’s here. Love em.

MSP

I have had a few of the options here, 2f0 clips fitted well, but I found the plastic uppers too rigid and uncomfortable,I replaced them with the cliplites and I found just a bit too small (in the largest size they make) they changed to a narrower last, the uppers weren’t quite as stiff as the clips but still stiffer than I would have preferred. I also don’t particularly like the bg tilt, I think it may be down to having big feet they they roll the foot of the edge of the centre of support.

The kestrels were again just a tad too small, the toebox is kind of flat and doesn’t allow much toe wriggle, that may not be a problem if they are a bit bigger than your foot, the way boa on them is laced can also produce a hotspot, but you actually don’t have to tighten it that much. I think they would have been my favourites if they had had a bit more room, they are heavier than the other options but feel like they pedal lighter (if that makes sense).

I have the giro terraduro now, they are the best fit for me, I think the uppers are far more comfortable than the others, but to be honest the sole is my least prefered of the options for pedaling (if you discount my view on the bg tilt which most people do seem to get on with) for hike a bike I think they are probably the best of the the options. I did have an early pair which the rubber virtually disintegrated within a week on a biking holiday, so I sent them back for a refund and then tried the others, I returned to a newer “updated” pair after trying the others and have had no issues.

Damm my big feet I have spent a **** fortune on shoes.

TheGingerOne

I was just after a similarly ‘less racy’ spd shoe for slightly more casual mtb riding and holidays etc. I went through the normal online shops to get an idea of what was out there and then came across the Scott range. I am one ride in on a pair of Scott Trail Boa shoes and for the price am very impressed with them. Ridiculously comfortable so far and seem to be doing the job very nicely.
    Can’t give any more feedback than that yet, but worth considering I think – or seeing how many shoes Scott make and should be available at Scott dealers Scott Trail Boa

bruneep

My love of the northwave mid enduro is getting less every day. Release switch has come off, missing in action on a ride.

Dealer only repair it seems. 😐

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New Shoes…?’ is closed to new replies.