Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New shock wont fit in frame…
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’ve got in my hand a new Rockshox Monarch Plus RC3. I’ve removed the old RP23.

The width of the old mounting hardware is 22.1mm, the new is 22.6mm. It wont fit in the frame.

Is it best to just sand down the hardware, so it fits?

Cheers

Ricks

neninja
    Free Member

Just transfer the mounting hardware from the RP23 to the Monarch (except the bush)

stevied
    Free Member

You’d be better off using a file if you’ve got one. You’d be the forever trying to sand it down. You’ll be able to get it flatter with a file too..

rickon
    Free Member

Sorted. Sanded down with 90 grit, then finished off with 220, and then finally 800.

Took ages though. The ID on the shock mount is 21.8, which is how Turner spec it, but the OD of the shock hardware was 22.6, which compressed to about 22mm overall.

Anyway, RC3 is on, a quick spin up the road and it sits in the travel far better than the RP23, and also feels a lot plusher through the travel. Immediately noticeable. As the compression tune is so low, the compression settings feel a bit vague at the moment, a full lockout would have been nice for road connections, but I’ll take the hit for smooth travel.

Cheers Chaps.

Oh and Neninja – the mounts are pin type rods, so they’re more of a PITA to remove, as I use the end of a vice corner to press them out. Normal eyelet reducers, I’d have done what you said 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

is it a low low tune? guessing it’s in the DW turner

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, low/low tune. I got it for a baaaaaaaargain price, I couldn’t say no!

And yep, it’s in the 5-spot 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

😀 service the the air can seals regulary on that, they need a bit of love 😉

rickon
    Free Member

Roger!

Is there any obvious signs that the seals are perishing? e.g. oil build up?

And by regular… any idea how many hours?

LoCo
    Free Member

30 hours would be a good point to remove air can clean and re lube 😉

rickon
    Free Member

Bizarre, I had that figure in my head! At the moment, that’s probably a month for me 🙁 Used to be like a week and a bit….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New shock wont fit in frame…’ is closed to new replies.