Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New shock for 2014 Trance
  • mikey74
    Free Member

My Trance has a Fox Evo shock and in all honesty, it feels like a piece of crap: A timber batten would offer better damping performance.

Based on the fact this shock can’t be tuned, what shock would you recommend as a replacement? I’m thinking as cheap as possible.

Cheers.

mikey74
    Free Member

bump!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What was on the other models that year – best place to start. Whatever you get you want it tuned to the bike

mikey74
    Free Member

The current models run either the Monarch or Fox Float Performance/Factory shocks.

mikey74
    Free Member

Does anyone in the UK offer the Avalanche upgrade?

mikey74
    Free Member

Will a 200×57 Monarch RT3 fit? It’s a medium frame.

SirHC

Some people have fitted a 57mm stroke shock, but the clearance can be tight or in some instances there is no clearance between the rear triangle and the seattubes.

Worth speaking to TF/Mojo to see what options there are if you go down the new route (which will get you the right shock tune)

If you go down the second hand route, then I would be looking at a M/M tune monarch RT3 or whichever the equivalent tune is on fox.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks HC. I’ve already emailed JTech/Loco/TF Tuned etc, and awaiting their reply. I haven’t contacted Mojo yet, but will do.

kiksy
    Free Member

I bashed on a £20 10 year old Fox Van RL in 200×57 on my small Trance.

Went from a Monarch Plus, and the Van coil is just light years ahead of the Monarch Plus in terms of downhill performance. The small bump is just insane. I really think the Trance frame suits a coil exceptionally well.

The Monarch pedals better, and is lighter, but I’ll take that hit as the coil is just so much better descending its silly.

mikey74
    Free Member

I actually would consider a coil (especially if it was a cheap option) but ideally I’d like to try and keep the weight down. Plus, most of the more recent coil Fox shocks have a piggy-back chamber that may be an issue.

kiksy
    Free Member

The difference for me in weight was only 220g with the coil which didn’t bother me. Cane Creek make a few coils in 200×51 if you’re worried about clearance but many people have fitted 200×57 with piggy back (have a Google) especially on the larger frame sizes.

I bought that coil purely as an experiment and for a bit of a laugh. At £20 I knew I could sell it again if I didn’t like it. I really recommend giving a cheap coil a go, I promise you won’t regret it. 🙂

sv

Ran a DB Inline (200×57)and then a Monarch Plus (200×50) on my Trance. RT3 Monarch would also work well.

mikey74
    Free Member

The s/h Monarch I’ve found is a 200×57: Did you have any issues running the 200×57 DB?

poah
    Free Member

manitou macleod or a DB inline

mikey74
    Free Member

Can’t afford a DB, and I haven’t touched Manitou in decades.

deviant
    Free Member

I have the 2015 bike and ditched the standard shock (RS Monarch)….nothing wrong with i but i’d read on American forums that the standard 200 x 51 dimensions are conservative and the bike will take a 200 x 57 taking rear travel from 140mm to around 155mm….coupled with a 160mm fork up front you’ve then got quite a beast without the weight and length of the Giant Reign which has similar travel but is heavier and longer.

So….i found a nearly new X-Fusion O2 shock in 200 x 57 dimensions and had the LBS fit it for me, they said it was easy and there werent any problems with clearance now it has an additional 15mm or so of rear travel.

Why X-Fusion?….i’m OCD when it comes to bike parts and i was running an X-Fusion Slant fork at the time, no other reason than that!…but i can happily say the O2 shock is easily as good as the RS Monarch that came off the bike.

The bike was bought as a frame only but effectively runs in SX guise with 160mm forks (Giant sell one with 160mm forks called the SX but charge a premium for it, i decided i could do it better and cheaper)….interested in the post above about a coil shock, thats an itch i’ve been wanting to scratch for a while.

Kiksy, did it go on ok or did you have to file bits out of the way, use offfset bearings etc?
    Please please tell me it just bolted straight on !?!?

poah
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member

Can’t afford a DB, and I haven’t touched Manitou in decades.

check the price of the macleod 😉

kiksy
    Free Member

Kiksy, did it go on ok or did you have to file bits out of the way, use offfset bearings etc?
    Please please tell me it just bolted straight on !?!?

Yeah the 200×57 was just a straight swap out. Didn’t have to modify anything.that’s on a small frame too.

deviant
    Free Member

Excellent news, just been browsing the bay and found some reasonably priced coil shocks on there.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a 200×57 CCDB Inline on the classifieds at a very reasonable price, I notice.

😉

kiksy
    Free Member

Excellent news, just been browsing the bay and found some reasonably priced coil shocks on there.

Please let me know what you end up with and how you get on. 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Would it matter if the coil shock has a piggyback reservoir?

kiksy
    Free Member

Would it matter if the coil shock has a piggyback reservoir?

This seems to depend on the shock design and frame size.there is a long thread on Pinkbike with lots of photos.

Most fit it seems, but some are tight or touch the frame when bottomed out.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New shock for 2014 Trance’ is closed to new replies.