Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New shock bushes – still play
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Just put two new bushes in and there is still play. I have a TF tuned heavy duty mount kit on one end and had to use a metal (DU?) bush – will this make a difference?

z1ppy

The TF kit should make no difference, as there for std sizes, but i do think they recommend running a nylon/plastic bush with the HD kit. Though the bushings are still the same size. Might be worth taking to them. (I’m assuming that it’s a pretty new kit)
    How easy did the bushings go in? There’s a small chance that the shock eyetlets might be ovalized (worst case senario).

Also have you done a finger test on the mounts to confirm they are the source of your play, and your not mistaking play from elsewhere in the suspension system? (worth checking)

MRanger156
    Free Member

Finger test?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

what frame?
    could be the shock mount bolt itself

MRanger156
    Free Member

Commencal Meta 5.5 2007.

oldnick

That’s the crack in the frame flexing 😉

Presuming it’s the same design as my 2009 5.5 there are lots of linkage bearings to rule out, finger test it is!

uplink
    Free Member

Commencal Meta 5.5 2007.

Ahhh …………that’ll be a cracked frame then

hamishthecat

Take no notice mate – they’re just joshing.

I have the same issue – I’ve got one of the Enduro needle bearing kits from the States and there is still slight play. I’ve done the finger test (you stick your finger on the shock bush and lift the saddle slightly and feel for movement) I think the lower shock mount bolt may be worn – I have the BETD heavy duty steel bush kit. I previously tried the Igus bushes and there was movement with those too so I’m pretty sure it’s the bolt.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Right will give it a good going over. Not a crack…yet!

lipseal
    Free Member

It will be the bit that goes through the bush, have you tried it off the frame or lose bolt?

MRanger156
    Free Member

Yeah the bolts were loose in the mounting hardware. So what bits do I need to replace?

I thought the bushes were suppose to wear instead of the other bits.

lipseal
    Free Member

Nah everything wears, just got to keep on top your your bushes and change them more often than you think.

MRanger156
    Free Member

So will it be the bolts or the mounting kits?

lipseal
    Free Member

Take the shock off and try the mounts in the bushes first, are the bolts not tightening up then?

MRanger156
    Free Member

When I had the shock off the bolts were loose in the shock mounting/bush/eyelet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New shock bushes – still play’ is closed to new replies.