Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New shimano slx brakes, any good?
  • swainy90
    Free Member

I’ve got the old m675 slx and done well with them but fancy a new set. Anyone used the new one and recommend them or should I go xt for a slight bit more? Also what have you done about shifter as mine is ispec b

andy4d

I have the m675 slx and the m8000 xt and tbh I prefer my old slx over the xt. If your old slx are still working fine then I would see no reason to change.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I have just fitted M7000 but had xt785 previously. Can’t tell any difference tbh. New M8000 XT’s may be better than new SLX but I can’t imagine by much although I’ve no experience to quantify that, but I’m more than happy with the performance of the M7000’s so far.

Cant comment on shifters as they are on a single speed.

swainy90
    Free Member

Have trouble with my rear on the slx think the pistons are either sticking and not returning or they are not coming out equally so find not braking very well. Front is ace but just fancied and upgrade really also

MoreCashThanDash

Just upgraded to them from Deore. Bloody marvellous!

mudhead84
    Free Member

I had slx m675 on all my bikes. Cracked a piston on one recently and shimano replaced it with an m7000. Feels slightly nicer than the original and looks real nice in all black. Your going to need a new shifter I’m afraid as i spec b and I spec 2 aren’t compatible from my knowledge. I just brought a new bar mount shifter, which look quite nice as they butt right up to the brake mount now.

nosedive
    Free Member

Just replaced some 3 year old m875 xt with m7000. The new ones are very good and feel better than the xt did even when brand new. I just hope they are reliable

stevextc
    Free Member

Unless you fancy (and have money for) a full refresh for 11x (shifters, mech, cassette, chain) then I’d personally just replace the caliper.

XT M785 and SLX M685 are the same caliper except for the plastic label… (even the screw thread is there is you want to put a bolt to replace the pin)

You can theoretically bar mount the current shifter (buying the conversion kit) or buy a new shifter with bar mount (not much price difference especially if you factor in a new cable) but would you really want to on the older technology that will just get harder to replace?

Until someone comes up with a i-spec B -> II conversion kit the whole thing is a bit of a jump in with 2 feet IMHO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New shimano slx brakes, any good?’ is closed to new replies.