Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New shed build, first timer…:
  • squealer
    Free Member

I thought I’d have a go at building my own having seen the inspiring threads on here.
    My background is totally office based job l, never attempted anything like this before so this was a build based on making it up as I go!

I originally wanted a 6m x 3m summerhouse type build but the wife killed that idea

Gunz
    Free Member

You go for it squealer.

roundwheels
    Free Member

You don’t listen to the wife on these matters,

sadexpunk

aye, plenty of threads on here (mine included) and people willing to offer good advice. go for it and keep the thread updated with pics.

Rich_s

Very similar story here – got an odd shaped bit of garden space to fill and could do with some space to work from home in.

My thoughts were to try and build a kids shed first to see how it went / get the right mantools.

Main issue is the fun police is sceptical…

squealer
    Free Member

Ok, started it yesterday.

It’s 3m x 3m.

First was building the timber base. I hate abandoned concrete pads so wanted a timber base in case we ever demolish it.

That was quite easy to build.

Next was levelling it and putting 19mm osb on the base. Again pretty easy and my youngest gave it a thumbs up so I guess I did ok 🙂

Build the sides next. Hat was quite time consuming with the sides being sloping and all bit went ok. The window was left over from a previous garage conversion we had builders do.
    Roped my dad in to help me erect it all.

And finally started the roof. 12mm osb. Not sure on the covering, felt seems a bit boring so am currently looking for alternatives.

Next week will be the cladding, and some kind of door.

Pretty happy with it so far for a first timer!

properbikeco
    Free Member

good progress – well done!

kayak23

Nice work. What are you cladding it with?
    my last one I used some builders steel band stretched tight and fixed in cross patterns on the outside of the walls before cladding for a bit of cheeky triangulation.

If you’re cladding with something pretty solid then it’s probably not needed but it does add a bit of rigidity I found.

DT78
    Free Member

Was that all a days work?

I’m tempted to have a go myself too…

squealer
    Free Member

Kayak – I think it’s going to be clad in featherboard to match the garage next to it. Nice and easy and relatively cheap as well.

Dt78 – I built the frame for the base Thursday and everything else was done yesterday. Started at 10 yesterday and knocked off just before 3 for the school run so not really a whole day!

teasel
    Free Member

As you’re trying to avoid felt (which is wise IMO) how about a nice sheet of EPDM…?

jag61

looking good ,is it too late to suggest another slab at each corner to lift base off the grass? should extend life a bit still got a way to go to catchup with shed in background

5thElefant
    Free Member

A nice box profile steel roof (in the same colour as the tiles behind) would be my choice.

theotherjonv

Built one a couple of weeks ago with my neighbour who’s a proper chippy so knows what to do.

Only real difference to the way you’ve done it is we built the sides individually including getting some of the cladding on before erecting. He was totally anal about getting the sides square (measure the diagonals and adjust) and then doing a few lines of cladding to stabilise it and keep it square.

jim25

I would suggest getting it up higher off the grass, you need to get some ventilation flow under neither there or else your timber will just sweat and rot in no time at all, especially the osb floor Base

jim25

Have you though about felt shingles for the roof? Look better than standard felt and easy to diy fit

squealer
    Free Member

I’ll take a photo later but the ground slopes away towards the rear of the base so here is a gap under there for about 75% of the length. Think that will be ok?

The base layer of wood is tantalised so should be ok on the floor I thought? Or will it still rot away quickly? It’s only the front on the floor and I could still feasibly raise it a bit if needed.

theotherjonv

I love having my wood tantalised!!

Tanalised will last pretty well but even better if raised off the ground.

Poss too late now but we used tanalised and put a damproof around the bottom.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Fence posts last 10 years or so before the break where they go in the ground. That’s a lot nastier than just touching. I’d guess 20-30 years or so, and even then the rest of the structure will probably be quite happy even with a rotten base.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New shed build, first timer…:’ is closed to new replies.