Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • New set of disc brakes, recommend me a set for around £120
  • withersea
    Free Member

Set of avid juicy 3s died this weekend so looking to replace. Don’t need discs any good recommendations, good buys? Cheers

toys19
    Free Member

Love elixirs, merlin have them at 130 ish.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Did you like the juicy’s?

You can get some bargains to replace like with like!

But lots for Avid haters here.

Most will recommend SLX/XT or Hope.

#Edit – ex avid user, now with shimano. So I’m biased like everyone else. Systems feel different though – just less faff with Shimano.

watsontony
    Free Member

get on pinkbike and buy second hand. hope’s for 130

Teetosugars
    Free Member

XT from Rose…

The difference between them and Avids??

<———————————————————————————————————————————->

8)

Northwind

At that price, Shimano for me. TBH even buying used you’ll find it hard to beat SLX or XT new- chances are you’ll end up with a brake that’s no better, with worn parts and no warranty.

withersea
    Free Member

Been using avoids on three bikes, enjoy using them, hate changing the pads. Would buy another set of elixirs but thought I’d look around.

Would second hand hopes be a better bet?? Will also look at rose as well

transapp
    Free Member

Get a pair of SLX from Rose (same as XT’s in power and feel, just some adjustment options removed) you’ll be astonished at the power, it’s like the first time you ever used disk brakes again!

coogan
    Free Member

SLX.

watsontony
    Free Member

hopes tech m4’s last forever with minimal faff there is a chart that show current brakes stopping power in nm and m4’s are more powerfull than all other than top line formulers, pad changes are easy thay are customizable, infinate parts avaliable

smiff
    Free Member

need a set myself, will probably get Elixir 5s 180/160 for £134 from merlin.

SLX BR-M675 are cheaper from germany, but do they have any modulation? the shimano ones i’ve used before don’t, not sure if these are newer or any better.

watsontony
    Free Member

not 120 and not m4’s but take a look at these http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1137715/

br
    Free Member

While I run Hope’s for that money you’ll only get s/h, but bought a set of Deore’s from Merlin for my son’s bike – can’t go wrong for £90.

Although now out-of-stock:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/brakes/disc-brakes/shimano-disc-brakes/shimano-deore-m596-disc-brake-set-front-rear.html

Try SLX instead?

watsontony
    Free Member

or these but may need some work. and may need mounts http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/941013/

watsontony
    Free Member

While I run Hope’s for that money you’ll only get s/h, but bought a set of Deore’s from Merlin for my son’s bike – can’t go wrong for £90.

you do have to be carefull but plp do sell perfect parts for cheap. some justsell at a price thay are happy with and dont bother looking into value and what same in same con sells for

watsontony
    Free Member

thay will be ok with low weight at not to high speeds

Northwind

Oh dear, someone’s never actually used recent Deores… They’re excellent brakes, the only reason they don’t get more recommendations is that the SLX and XT aren’t much more expensive.

watsontony
    Free Member

my mates got em on his cube. thay not brill when hot and have quite a bit of fade. not the best brakes to work on either. not too bad just the bleeding is a bit long winded

Gribs

Hope if you’re happy to go secondhand, if not then Shimano slx from Germany as long as you’re happy to bin them in a couple of years when a seal fails.

transapp
    Free Member

Agreed, there’s nothing wrong with the deores at all (believe they’ve just won a best in test as well).
    Agree on the reason for SLX / XT as well, I bought XT ‘cos I’m a snob (but too poor for XTR!!)

Northwind

Gribs, that’s a myth- just replace whatever part needs replaced. When my old XTs seized up I replaced the whole caliper for, IIRC, £25- which included a set of pads. That’s not much worse than buying seals for Hope or Formula, and the price difference is still a fraction of the buy-new price difference. Not ideal but shouldn’t be a dealbreaker.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Had a few sets of Avid, Hope, Formula and Shimano in the past, Shimano by a country mile. Edit: whatever happened to Hayes?!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

bin them in a couple of years when a seal fails.

Thats a fairish point ime – the seals can / do fail (esp when used in freezing conditions) – but they do have a 2 year no Q warranty. Way better than Formulas / Avid warranty in the UK ime. No-Q means to me – 2 out of 6 sets SLX get replaced / upgraded for free to the latest version (eg 665 – 666) without one single question. And if I have to buy a new Shimano caliper (complete with pads etc) – its £20ish.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I have LX brakes from 2007 on my hardtail. never had any issues, so don’t understand the seal thing.

If I were buying cheap brakes, I’d buy SLX.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/best-disc-brakes-for-mountain-bikes-33540/

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a set of SLX for sale that might be of interest

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/slx-m666-disc-brakes

dantsw13

Watsontony – your mate needs to have a look at the setup on his Cube then. I am 93 kg, and ride my bikes down pretty fast. I’ve just done a Morzine trip and my Deores were ace, with no noticeable fade at all. £70 a pair from Rose – they come Euro style, so just swap the hoses over. Most new hoses need shortening anyway. They have plenty of lever adjust, it just requires an Allen Key.

br
    Free Member

thay will be ok with low weight at not to high speeds

First run out was Innerleithen Red, no problems.

Klunk
    Free Member

anything here ?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I think we can Watsontony is a Hope fanboy with a very narrow minding view. Having had Hopes M4, Shimano XT and Saints I love the craftsmanship of the Hope’s but they didn’t compete with performance of the XT’s and not a patch on the Saints. The Hopes required more bleeding than the Shimano brakes which haven’t needed touching since they were first setup.
    Don’t get me wrong I love a lot and a lot of Hope products but with brakes they just aren’t worth it over Shimano.

Scamper
    Free Member

Just bought some Deore brakes, to replace my elixir r’s and don’t see why I need anything more expensive for my level of riding after using them for a week in the alps.

Is outright braking power actually less than XT/SLX under `normal riding’ or is the price difference just nice extra’s for easier set up and fade and weight reduction?

dantsw13

Scamper – Deores have the same servo wave tech as the higher levels.

The differences are heavier materials, no tool free adjust, no finned pads.

dyna-ti

Probably already posted by others
    Id go for a modern set of hopes.Maybe mono race ones,they seem to go about the 120 mark

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

XT or SLX. Job done.

mjsmke

I like Hayes Strokers. Shall i go and sit on my own in the corner?

The best thing to do is try out different brakes on your mates bikes. I like Hayes for myself but the other half like Avid. I don’t like working on Avids (pain to align caliper) but performance wise i can’t fault them. I also really like Hope brakes but find them a little expensive.

richmtb

I used to be a big fan of Hope brakes. They are easy to maintain and have great customer support.

Then I tried Saint M810’s they absolutely wiped the floor with the Mono M4’s I was running.

I’ve just bought a set of new XT brakes if anything they are even better than the Saints – very nearly the same power and a chunk lighter. Shortening the hose was a five minute job and they are simple to bleed too and with the threaded pad retention pin pad changes are the simplest I’ve come accross.

So for that money, SLX from merlin or XT from Rosebikes when they are back in stock

dyna-ti

I agree with you Rich that saints are superb.I had the m800’s and they are truly a powerful brake.
    The only problem shimano brakes have is the seals arent replaceable in either the lever or the caliper so when it leaks they are only fit for the bin.
    Ive also noticed they can weep a little around the piston when its really cold

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘New set of disc brakes, recommend me a set for around £120’ is closed to new replies.