Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • New section on the marin trail
  • tazzymtb

Just a quick well done to the pixies that have built the new section. It is absolutely stonking, couple of the switchbacks are evil eye popping horrors on a singlespeed but that just need more grrrr from me. Always had a soft spot for the marin and that new swoopy jumpy slidey eeek singletrack is proper tongue out giggly like a small happy dog with one ear the turns inside out.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Just had a look on Youtube, looks surprisingly good. Thankfully it doesn’t look too manicured, was expecting a clean Llandegla-esque/Sorrellised type surface, looks like it will weather in nice!

Well done all concerned.

therag
    Free Member

Built by the 2 lads that built most of ^sorrell,s^ trails over the last decade. Looks ace, I’ll pencil in a visit.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Link to vids pop please?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Riding ‘Dwsin Drwg’ @ Marin trail N. Wales

[video]http://youtu.be/lR9f0PGFhMU[/video]

Potdog
    Free Member

Always had rose tinted memories of the Marin trail but resisted going back so as not to spoil them. Looks like a trip will be on the cards now this summer.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Built by the 2 lads that built most of ^sorrell,s^ trails over the last decade.

Looks like they may have got this right 😉

rustyshackleford
    Free Member

Rode it on Saturday. Its really good.

It was bit slippery in places! but assume will just pack itself down over time. Best bit going through broken bit of stone wall in to berm. I though similar to bits of Cafel at Cwmcarn.

9.5/10

honourablegeorge

Cool, if there’s one thing the Marin needs, it’s singletrack.

Vortexracing

is it a new section or an old one re-done?

Goldigger
    Free Member

That does looks good, shame them riders make it look crap 😀

Northwind

Vortexracing – Member

is it a new section or an old one re-done?

Apparently a bit that was supposed to be in the original build, but was never built. Though, I daresay it’d have been a bit different if they’d done it back then! Am I right, that it takes out that orrible tarmac climb?

I love the Marin, good to see it getting some new stuff… I was thinking it’s a wee bit out of character, but nothign wrong with adding variety.

jam-bo

I give that big berm at the end about 3 months before it’s a rutted, braking bumped mess…

Looks fun though in a very ‘back on track’ style.

fathomer

Another that likes the Marin despite the amount of fireroad and that looks really good fun.

jekkyl

there was downhill fireroad on the marin! oh god that track. it’s 1.5 miles of fireroad uphill per 200 metres of tech dh. awful
    That video looks ace though, lets hope they carry on and redo some more of it.

scandal42
    Free Member

Like the Marin, might like it more now.

olly2097
    Free Member

I dont get why people don’t like the marin.

I’d rather do my climbs on fireroad but that’s me, the first and last descent are sublime.

But then I can’t stand Penmachno.

It is definitely my favourite man made trail. The view of the lake with moel siabod is always awesome, always a ride where I can clear my mind and appreciate gods country (Wales)

Going on weds. Can’t wait to try the new section.

Northwind

olly2097 – Member

I dont get why people don’t like the marin.

I think I do… It’s basically bad value. I love the descents but it feels like there’s more climbing than there is descending. It’s not that the meal’s not fantastic, it’s just expensive. That doesn’t really bother me, I’m happy to invest the effort for the descents but I can see why it peeves people.

tazzymtb

I have no problem with the climbs on fire road either, out of the saddle and mosh to the top, seems to be these new fangled gear boys that sit and twiddle a silly little gear like a demented hamster that have issues with it. Just get fitter and faster on the ups and then there isnt really a break between the nice flowy bits 😉

carlos
    Free Member

As above, it looks great and will prompt another visit (prob not been for around 6years). Will link it to Penmachno and make a decent length loop

Rorschach
    Free Member

They’ve made a better fist of it (as always Yanto!) than that £50k abortion that was dropped onto Penmachno (I suspect they did’nt blow 5 grand on the ‘edit’ either).
    I like the Marin.I even like some of the builted bits 😉

awm76
    Free Member

I love the trail at Marin, its the type of place that reminds me of why I got into biking decades ago. Been riding past this new section for months while it was under construction and taped off, I for one am very excited about this new piece being added to the trail.

Watched a couple of videos and it looks great to me, a new 2km section of fun in the trees will feel like Christmas day compared to the old fire road bit and that short steep tarmac climb.

Off to ride the Marin later this morning, cant wait.

martinhutch

Thread resurrection!

Whereabouts on the route is that – am doing a route this week that starts on the Marin, leaves to head south then rejoins to finish the loop. Don’t want to miss it out on the return by bypassing something that used to be fire road!

Also – does anyone know where the Edge Cycleworks online routes have gone? Seem to have vanished from the web.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It replaces the fire road section that leads to the short and steep road section ,so will be after rejoining from either by ugly house or from the miners bridge.
    The routes are now on flattyres-mtb.co.uk
    After riding it few times….I’m a bit ambivalent towards it tbh.Maybe I’m not ‘nduro enuff.

tthew

Whereabouts on the route is that – am doing a route this week that starts on the Marin, leaves to head south then rejoins to finish the loop. Don’t want to miss it out on the return by bypassing something that used to be fire road!

Also – does anyone know where the Edge Cycleworks online routes have gone? Seem to have vanished from the web.Wow – coincidence. Did that route yesterday! It’s brilliant. Both the Marin, plus the lovely Moel Siabod route over to Dolwyddelay. Really well recommended, and I hope that some of the fork-deep puddles have receded for you. You’ll not miss the new bit, just follow the signs, it’s almost immediately after you have rejoined the Marin after the A5 crossing.

Anyhow, here’s the link to the website with all the routes on. http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/

And my Straaaaaaava from the day.

edit – 1 hour too late 😀 I was excited about having a genuine contribution for once and didn’t read Rorschach’s post properly.

martinhutch

Many thanks for that.

I know it’s not gnarr to the max, but it’s a nice ride through pleasant scenery. Probably out via Sarn Helen, then back the other way.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ll give you a pound if you clean the Sarn Helen climb from the ByC side.

nairnster
    Free Member

That looks pretty manicured to me! What are the smooth trails referenced in comparison? Must be tarmac smooth.

martinhutch

I’ll give you a pound if you clean the Sarn Helen climb from the ByC side.

I suspect I’m bypassing the bit you’re talking about, as I can’t remember anything but fire road climbing and fairly easy track…

VanHalen

than that £50k abortion that was dropped onto Penmachno

that is so unbelieveably bad! so out of place its silly.

i`ve not ridden the marin in donkeys rears but will give it a go.

Klunk
    Free Member

not overly impressed with the new section, gimmicky and out of character, already wearing badly and overgrown in places, multi-lines really half way round the marin!

Northwind

I like it when in the same page something is criticised for being too smooth and manicured but also too worn and getting overgrown. Schrodinger’s trail.

Marin
    Free Member

New section on the Marin is fun. If the trail is too peddled for people you have kind of picked the wrong sport or need to buy downhill bikes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Google translate can’t make any sense of that….have another go youth.

parkesie
    Free Member

Finaly got around to doing the Marin trail for the 1St time in 2 yrs. It’s a good un even covered in leaves, still has the short climb up the stairs but that’s short enough to be forgotten as soon as it all points down again.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘New section on the marin trail’ is closed to new replies.