Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New section at GT – terrible bit of trailbuilding
  • Smee
    Free Member

The newly redone/repaired section of the descent after spooky wood – anyone else ridden it?

For my money it is the worst bit of trail i have ever ridden and was better before they touched it.

The trailbuilders at GT get so much right, how could they get this one so wrong?

solamanda
    Free Member

Not surprised really, seeing as spooky wood is poor too.

druidh
    Free Member

* yawn *

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Smee
    Free Member

druidh – my thats constructive.

allankelly

Why’s it bad then?
    al.

druidh
    Free Member

Smee – Member

druidh – my thats constructive.

Wasn’t aimed at you. Spooky woods is one of the favourite bits of trail in the UK. But there’s always someone who want to have a dig (no irony planned).

As for that next section (Super G?), I think I’m right in saying it’s all been flattened out somewhat? Certainly seems to have lost some character.

Smee
    Free Member

Poorly designed, berms in places that don’t need berms i.e. om straights. randomly sloping bits of trail. As much as i dislike the word it just doesnt flow .

Smee
    Free Member

Druidh – Have you ridden it since it reopened?

druidh
    Free Member

I was down a couple of weeks back – the time before that, there was some work “in progress”. Could be they’ve made even more changes since I was down??

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – I was meaning that the surface seemed to have been “topped up”. Fewer roots etc. I guess that’ll wear down again over time, but it just seemed a lot faster overall.

Smee
    Free Member

They just reopened it this week. They have redone the section that used to have the tabletop.

druidh
    Free Member

Cool – I’ll try to get down next week sometime.

Smee
    Free Member

Seriously I wouldn’t bother. It really is that bad.

solamanda
    Free Member

Wasn’t aimed at you. Spooky woods is one of the favourite bits of trail in the UK. But there’s always someone who want to have a dig (no irony planned).

Aimed at me I’d guess. I’m sorry but it has to be the most over hyped trail I’ve ever ridden. It’s a motorway trail that has no features. I had to double check it was the Spooky wood trail after I’d ridden it, as I couldn’t believe it would be that boring.

allankelly

“They” have to look after it cos it’s so blimmin popular the raw surface erodes really fast. Also it’s the “Manchester United” of trails – if you want quirky natural etc etc then go ride your own local stuff. “They” are unpaid volunteers.

al.

Smee
    Free Member

“They” are not all unpaid volunteers. Don’t think Glendinnings Groundworks do the trail building for nowt.

Also Al, it is my own local stuff. 😀

allankelly

Aye, the big stuff is professional groundworks but the re-surfacing and the intricate stuff (Mushroom Pie) is 100% spade work. With 4 kids I don’t pick up a spade as much as I’d like, but we should all go once in a while, you’ll be very welcome.

http://www.glentresstrailfairies.org/

al.

Smee
    Free Member

This section was done by digger.

allankelly

The bastards.
    al.

druidh
    Free Member

Was down that new bit tonight. It’s a bit “fresh”, but other than that I can’t see much wrong with it. Mibbe different in daylight (when one might expect to be going at it a bit faster), but I’m sure it’ll soon wear in to be just like the rest of the track.

jedi

i actually agree with solamander 🙁

rs
    Free Member

spooky wood is great bit of trail which is why its ridden so much, now if your not enjoying it your either going too slow, or if its beneath you and not extreme enough then go find something gnarlier. There’s always the option to ride somewhere else. As for the new bit well I haven’t ridden it so can’t comment on that.

mboy
    Free Member

Not been to Glentress to ride yet, though am aiming to this summer. What I will say is that of the few people that I have ridden with on this forum, Solamanda and Jedi could not be labelled into the group that would be riding it too slow!

rs
    Free Member

That was kind of my point, i’ve seen jedi’s pics and for him maybe spooky wood ain’t much fun although still surprised by this, for the average rider its pretty dam good.

hels
    Free Member

If you don’t like it don’t ride there.

Having seen what happens to busy trails that are never maintained in Europe (stick wheel in 12 inch deep deep rut, disengage brakes and steering and brain) I think the Trail Builders at GT have done what is required to keep it open, and the majority of the punters happy.

If you weren’t so ungrateful I would offer to show you some of the natural offpiste stuff at GT, I spend days in there and never go near anything waymarked or red.

gusamc
    Free Member

smee

“For my money it is the worst bit of trail”

Do you actually pay to ride there ?

MrNutt
    Free Member

not enough dust.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Must admit I’ve never been impressed by Spooky Wood. It was billed as the “UK’s A-line”, but it ain’t. Nowhere near. Not steep enough and no lips on the jumps.

If they’d made the trail maybe 30% shorter but with the same vertical fall it would have been very good.

That said, I’ve never ridden it on a hardtail – it may well be better on that as you’ll get more pop off the jumps.

Smee
    Free Member

hels – you’re not holding back an offer of showing me round my local trails are you?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I must admit to complaining about some of the trail mods at mabie a few years ago. It all just seemed to be turning nice trail into motorways imo. It has over time setled in to become more sustainable trail which now has less of a motorway feel. I imagine this is how the builders plan. In the outset it probably is a bit too sanitised but if they went for the finished article from the start it probably wouldnt stay like that for long and would need recitification much much sooner.

Does that make any sense at all?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spooky woods is a red run – not super black. Its ridden by thousands every week therefore needs to be armoured. It erodes and deteriorate, then is repaired. Its a cycle of events. People end up in hospital from crashing on it every week. You want it made harder so less folk can ride it?

Go to Innerleithan DH tracks then or ride Laggan black

As for the repaired section below spooky woods – IMO it had become eroded and rough and hard work on my tandem or on my hardtail. without repair it would soon have been unridable unless you were on a full sus or have Jedi like skills. Unless these trails are maintained they will erode away – its the nature of the beast.

Try going back to basics on an 80mm hardtail or go ride elsewhere

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New section at GT – terrible bit of trailbuilding’ is closed to new replies.