Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New seat post for my BFe, which one?
  • nickmsm
    Free Member

Calling all BFe owners, what seat posts are you running please? Currently have a Thomson which is driving me mad (slipping), tried everything and decided it’s time for a different post. I was about to pull the trigger on a Reverb but I am a little concerned with reliability issues. The Hope Eternity looks nice (got loads of Hope on the bike), but is it any good? The dropper post idea sounds great, but I’ll be annoyed if I need to fiddle with it all the time.

Bigmantrials

I am running a Reverb in mine, no issues so far, doesn’t slip and really helps open up the potential of the BFe!!

wukfit
    Free Member

Reverb on mine as well

Northwind

I had a KS i900 in mine, perfect.

bigblackshed

Not on a Bfe, but I had a Thomson on my Sanderson, it did slip a little unless the seat clamp was rock solid tight. Swapped it for an Eternity, to match the stem, The Rules see, which is exactly the same. Except it creaks loudly when it slips.

So I swapped a silent slipping post for a creaking slipping post. All in the name of Bike Tart.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Thank for replies so far, still seriously thinking about a Reverb as it’ll be a god send (if it works well!). Are they generally reliable? a lot of the reviews I have read seem they aren’t, but I suppose you usually generally hear from disgruntled owners and not the happy ones.

chiefgrooveguru

Gravity Dropper (more simple, more reliable), Reverb (less ugly, infinite positions). I replaced the Hope(less) QR on my Soul with a Thomson bolted one and no more slipping.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Cheers – I am actually running a Hope QR which does seem pretty useless, is it worth changing to a bolt through to see if that stops the Thomson slipping? I like the look of Thomson posts (got a Thomson stem) so this would be a cheap fix. Do like the idea of using a dropper though..

sugdenr
    Free Member

Thudbuster……cause I am a wuss.

markrtw
    Free Member

Reverb. Have you tried using carbon assembly paste instead of grease to stop the Thompson post slipping? reverb instructions say to use carbon paste and not grease as you need a lot less clamping force with it and in my experience it works.

chiefgrooveguru

I wouldn’t use an Allen bolt clamp with a standard seat post – a QR is more than enough hassle. Get a dropper post!

Northwind

Is the Thomson silver at all on the shaft (er, assuming it’s a black one!) I found the ribbed finish meant mine wore stupidly fast, and ended up loose in the frame. Not sure it was full sized from new but it definitely wasn’t by the time i got rid.

BFe with a bolted post seems like a daft idea to me tbh, it’s a drop-post sort of a bike. Nowt wrong with Hope QRs.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Chief – very true, but I’ll need a bolt clamp anyway for a dropper so worth a go for a temp measure?

Does look like I may as well go for the Reverb though, anywhere offering good deals!?

I have tried carbon paste (Thomson is black and not lost its colour), it has helped a little but the post is still dropping a few cms every 10 mins or so. I gather Thomson posts are on the small side a little, and Cotic frames maybe on the large? Not a match made in heaven anyway!

Northwind

nickmsm – Member

I’ll need a bolt clamp anyway for a dropper

You shouldn’t. Well, possibly with a reverb as they’re seemingly more choosy, but neither of my KSs or my Gravity Dropper object.

Course, you’re less likely to want to drop your post but from time to time, I want to ride something particularily stupid and the dropper post gets dropped :mrgreen: Drop squared!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hope post and seat clamp, never slips. I cannot justify the cost of a Reverb, everyone I know who has one says they are great and pretty much allow them have had them break down at some stage but don’t seem to care.

h4muf
    Free Member

Reverb on mine.

johnhe

I run my Reverb with a Salsa QR and nev had the slightest problem.

Scamper
    Free Member

Had a Thomson with no slippage. Now got a reverb with a salsa clamp and everything still fine – have found on cotics lowering the saddle just gets the best out of them, more so than dropping travel by 10mm.

iainc

Reverb and hope qr on a Soul here, superb 🙂

colournoise

Reverb on my BFe held in place with a bolted Superstar clamp – no slippage. Previous to that I had a shimmed Forca Vario with the same clamp – no slippage. And before that was an Identiti T-4 post with an Identiti QR clamp – no slippage.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

nickmsm
    Free Member

Decided to go for a Reverb. Does anyone know the cheapest place? I see Merlin have them for £166 with discount but it doesn’t include the bleed kit.

colournoise

Got mine from bike-discount.de for about 190 quid including bleed kit.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

EC70 here. Tempted by a Reverb though. Just haven’t found the petty cash for it yet.

Speshpaul

How do you manage that? I thought Souls were 27.2…
    you slip the post over the seat tube – works a treat 😆

Oh someones quick on the edit

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New seat post for my BFe, which one?’ is closed to new replies.