Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • New Santa Cruz Bronson what do you think
  • twohats
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member

Shame they only make bikes with TT’s designed for midgets.

I’m sure everyone will tell us because of the wheels its 5.48659% more awesome than a 26″ bike & you simply have to have one. If it fitted

Funny that in all the time you plastered your ever changing blinged out Nomad all over MTBR, you never bleated about how short it was then.
    No doubt you’ll be slagging off your SB66 once the next new thing comes along…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

love the early rip off importer shots…
    US prices normally no sales tax, add import & VAT then the price will be close to the UK price.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Look nice. But when are Santa Cruz gonna do internal cable routing? To me every SC bike looks like the inside of a wiring cabinet. Cables all over the place.

wrecker
    Free Member

US prices normally no sales tax, add import & VAT then the price will be close to the UK price.

FFS! IMPORTERS DO NOT PAY RRP!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FFS! IMPORTERS DO NOT PAY RRP!!!

Yes I know that, but when people try and compare RRP in the states to here in a “I could buy it cheaper” way it’s worth pointing out the price comes out similar. The Rip Off part is the tax and the fact that the £ is s***.

Anyway having ridden the Nomad C and Blur LT back to back this slightly different wheel size in the middle version (looks more 650 LLT than nomad) doesn’t massively appeal.

The LT was a very capable bike which handled the terrain in the lakes as well as the Nomad. If I was still up north then the LT would be in the garage, down here I’m just waiting for the Tr to land (nice price as the Au$ is actually worth something)

twohats
    Free Member

This.
    Another angle:
    People are always quick to criticise the UK S/C importer, but nobody blinks an eye at buying an Orange 5 frame at £1500 considering that they have no UK distributor, sell direct to shops and make way more margin on a bit of folded filing cabinet that Jungle could ever hope to make.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Funny that in all the time you plastered your ever changing blinged out Nomad all over MTBR, you never bleated about how short it was then.
    No doubt you’ll be slagging off your SB66 once the next new thing comes along…

Stalker alert! Yeah, I always find it’s a good idea to slag a bike off around the time you are trying to sell it…

FWIW, the SB66 isn’t perfect either, but it’s better than the Nomad. as was the inbetweener I was loaned before getting the SB – a Meta AM.

My comment is hardly revolutionary. It’s probably the biggest moan out there.

Enjoy your Nomad 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

but nobody blinks an eye at buying an Orange 5 frame at £1500 considering that they have no UK distributor, sell direct to shops and make way more margin on a bit of folded filing cabinet that Jungle could ever hope to make.

Why’s that then?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Snore.

The Norco Range Killer and Sight Killer are by far the nicest 650b bike’s I’ve seen so far. Better geo, more travel, prettier etc etc

This looks as agricultural as my Mega.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bwaarp professes, Thread Closed

Agricultural is a little strong, it looks like an LT.

Best 650 I have seen is the Rocky Mtn Altitude with a fancy shock mount so all you HA fetishist’s can tweak to your exact desires 🙂

bwaarp
    Free Member

looks like an lt

So agricultural then. :mrgreen:

I’ll get my coat.

TBH it’s a pretty bike in an understated way but as others have mentioned….the top tube length….ewwwwwwwww

bwaarp
    Free Member

BTW I swear to god I’ve seen an exact Chinese carbon copy of that Rocky Mountain going for about 400 dollars.

wrecker
    Free Member

This looks as agricultural as my Mega.

Ummmm. No. It doesn’t. The mega is on its own in terms of ugly.

Yes I know that, but when people try and compare RRP in the states to here in a “I could buy it cheaper” way it’s worth pointing out the price comes out similar. The Rip Off part is the tax and the fact that the £ is s***.

Fair point, but I’m not expecting half the price in £. A bit more of a fair value would see them shift loads of units, and we’d get better value. Plus the profiteering pisses me off.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Ummmm. No. It doesn’t. The mega is on its own in terms of ugly.

Ugly? Pfft. It’s a butter face…..29ers are ugly. Like severe untreated craniosynostosis mixed with a bit of hydrocephalus ugly

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t disagree. Imagine a mega 29er 😯

Russell96

NextBigThing(TM) AM, then 29, now 650, then ?? things have got that good and as such replacement cycles have slowed down, is that the only way they can generate lots of new sales is to convince people to buy the NextBigThing(TM) Whilst I agree there are some advantages to buying XXX thing(TM) it’s not that big an advantage to waste all that money spent on the last big thing minus 60% for a year or two of advantage till the 625(TM) comes out.

JCL
    Free Member

Only in the UK would most of the comments about a new bike be about the appearance… That’s definitely why 29’ers aren’t as popular as everywhere else, because all this “they look ugly” crap. Who gives a damn what it looks like? The benefits are obvious to people who can actually ride like everyone at Dirt, MBR, Neil Donoghue and others who have the opportunity to ride loads of bikes and time runs.

JCL
    Free Member

I don’t disagree. Imagine a mega 29er

Yeah it would be a total monster and would destroy the 26″. Just like the Enduro 29″ does to the 26″.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who gives a damn what it looks like? The benefits are obvious to people who can actually ride like everyone at Dirt, MBR, Neil Donoghue and others who have the opportunity to ride loads of bikes and time runs.

Except it’s not and not in all circumstances, and it’s all a bit vague, and 29’s are still a fairly new thing with plenty of work to go. There isn’t a magic bullet that makes it more betterer.

Anyway what this forum needs is another 26/650/29 debate where we can cut and paste all the crap from all the other posts and put it in a new post where we learn nothing.

JCL
    Free Member

You want a magic bullet?

40mm lower BB to axle centreline compared to 26″. That is a fundamental advantage in stability descending and cornering, increased climbing ability from lower effect of weight distribution on suspension. That’s without getting into the lower rolling resistance of the wheels, which before anyone says, easily outweigh the increase wheel weight.

So there you go kids, facts. Try and retain them and you won’t keep going round in circles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

JCL – Member
    You want a magic bullet?

40mm lower BB to axle centreline compared to 26″. That is a fundamental advantage in stability descending and cornering, increased climbing ability from lower effect of weight distribution on suspension. That’s without getting into the lower rolling resistance of the wheels, which before anyone says, easily outweigh the increase wheel weight.

So there you go kids, facts. Try and retain them and you won’t keep going round in circles.stuff

TBH I don’t care it’s very dull, I’m happy with my wheels. The rider is a significantly bigger input than the wheel size.

Now back to the bike, it’s quite yellow.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

other brands do exist….

bwaarp
    Free Member

40mm lower BB to axle centreline compared to 26″. That is a fundamental advantage in stability descending and cornering, increased climbing ability from lower effect of weight distribution on suspension. That’s without getting into the lower rolling resistance of the wheels

what about the higher centre of gravity caused by wheels that are significantly taller….or the shite airborne handling….or the lack of wins at DH, Enduro and even plenty of XC events.

BOOOOOOOM……and I’ve killed this thread.

Imagine a Mega 29er

The horror!

JCL
    Free Member

what about the higher centre of gravity caused by wheels that are significantly taller….or the shite airborne handling….or the lack of wins at DH, Enduro and even plenty of XC events.

BOOOOOOOM……and I’ve killed this thread.

Centre of gravity is lower, by around 40mm. You do realise the CoG on a bike is the riders mass right?

Lack or race wins? well hardly any manufactures produce bikes for Enduro let alone DH. Still, races have already been won on 29’ers that aren’t even ideal for the use, like Decker on the Trance at Downieville, Neil Donoghue on the Tallboy LT getting second in that recent Afan enduro. Trail bikes…

Wait till someone handy gets on that Enduro 29″.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I can’t believe you’d doubt the word of bwaarp…..don’t you realise who he is?

There isn’t a magic bullet that makes it more betterer

Err,there is.Fitness and skill.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There isn’t a magic bullet that makes it more betterer

Err,there is.Fitness and skill.
    Double hit with the magic bullet? 😆

Saccades
    Free Member

Do not want.

legend
    Free Member

Neil Donoghue on the Tallboy LT getting second in that recent Afan enduro. Trail bikes…

Woah there resident little 29er tiger! Lets see how he does at Innerleithen before getting carried away. I’ll be genuinely surprised if he doesn’t go for smaller wheels.

thedon
    Free Member

Wow, is this the forum for special people? You all talk so much shit.

Rorschach
    Free Member

That’s why it’s MAGIC 🙄

mattjg
    Free Member

IMO the yellow one’s a really ugly bike. Most FS are if we’re honest. (The white one’s better tho).

SC lost it for me way back when they started diversifying the individual frames. When I bought my Blur, there was only one kind of Blur. It was easy! Superlight – Blur – Heckler: pick one go ride it.

(Yes I’m an old fossil).

I’m firmly in the 29 camp on wheels but I’d buy 650b over 26 any day and I can see how it might be the best tool for the job over 29 for some kinds of trails and riding styles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SC lost it for me way back when they started diversifying the individual frames. When I bought my Blur, there was only one kind of Blur. It was easy! Superlight – Blur – Heckler: pick one go ride it.

Hmm OK then

mattjg
    Free Member

That was a while ago Mike.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I imagine Donny will be on his Nomad for Innerleithen, I’m sure he would do well on a pogo stick, some people have it and lots don’t.

Any how it looks like a great Enduro bike , and one that would help me compensate for lack of skills, mincing around trails 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I like the look of the alloy one.

I used to have a 6″ travel bullet built with the 151mm boxxers and did a bit of downhilling on it. It was a fantastic bike. Its strange to see how they have come on now.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Give up and just buy one of each of them Mr M!!
    You’ve owned most of them (6 or 7 so far?) hav’nt you?

hora
    Free Member

Fools gold. Who pays such silly money? $10k in the US for a bling one. Better to spend the money on intense skills courses and weight loss.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Yes I have and still have 2 or is it 3 😀

Bronson is a posh upto date Butcher 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Yeah it would be a total monster and would destroy the 26″. Just like the Enduro 29″ does to the 26″.

MORE bollocks? Just when you didn’t think it possible.
    Neil donoghue won the entire GE series on a 26er last year, so him coming second on a 29er isn’t something I’d shout from the rooftops if I were you.
    There are also rumours that he wasn’t completely happy with the tallboy at Afan.

zangolin
    Free Member

I’d like to think they really named it after Charles Bronson

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘New Santa Cruz Bronson what do you think’ is closed to new replies.