Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New saddlebag time
  • DT78
    Free Member

So my second Topeak wedge failed yesterday, for this one I was trialling the quick clip version as the Velcro one failed previously. Both of them went when the Velcro straps came away from the bag. Luckily both times I’ve noticed and been able to stop and find it.

So, what saddle bag for off-road riding?

GolfChick
    Free Member

Good question I’d like to know but pref one that avoids the dropper post for me. Dont really need to lug my bag around for my local 8 mile route so thinking of going for a bottle cage and a small bag for phone and keys.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

What about this from beerbabe? she might be able to do something custom for you. I’m very happy with the custom tool roll she did for me.

benp1

How about a front triangle bag or something similar, shouldn’t take as much abuse in that position…?

Surprised it failed, always found mine rock solid but I don’t do anything gnarly as all

paulmart

Lezyne micro caddy.

DT78
    Free Member

Nothing gnarly – blasting round Swinley as fast as I can (though for a surfaced trail it is surprisingly rough on a hard tail). One failing is bad luck, 2 is not fit for purpose.

Ideally I want to avoid things in the back pocket as they bounce all over the place and its a bit distracting as the back of the jersey goes up and down all the time. Beerbabes stuff does look nice though.

Might try the lezyne recommendation, their pumps are good quality. Then failing that I’ll look at frame bags or even just strapping the stuff to the frame like racers do.

stumpy01

How big a bag? Vaude do a decent looking one called something like Tool Bag.
    They also do a race light one, which is pretty small. i’ve got the medium and it only just fits in one road tube, multitool and 2 tyre levers. I don’t even think an mtb tube would fit in it. I want to swap it for the large, as it is a decent bag, i just bought too small a size.

mrhoppy

Decathlon do one with an expanding clamp so that’s fits only on the rails and holds away from the seatpost.

jonba
    Free Member

Arkel make the only saddle bag that has lasted me more than 12months. Expensive and still looks like I won’t get much more than 24months out of it.

rOcKeTdOg

Another vote for Beerbabe, here’s my review http://www.nwalps.com/reviews.html

DougD

I’d avoid the Specialized Wedgie. Infuriating design, an absolute sod to get into.

smurfly13
    Free Member

+2 for Beerbabe. Fantastic stuff, bought one off the shelf and then she made a custom pack for me 2 weeks ago, delivered 2 days after spec sent!

emanuel
    Free Member

Don’t throw it yet. try this

you’ll need
    one zip tie, longish toe strap and 5minutes.
    more details

scotroutes

The little Ortlieb one fixes only to the saddle rails

1-shed
    Free Member

How about one of the ones that fits on the top tube. Out of the way from mud and easy to get from whilst on the bike? Vaude carbo type of thing.

latham2104
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these…
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-bike-bag-s-05-litre/
    Big enough for a spare tube, co2 canister, multitool and keys. It’s nice and compact, Velcro on the saddle rails only, so no rubbing on the post.
    Seems secure enough.

karnali
    Free Member

Profile do a good top tube one.

DT78
    Free Member

Little update went for one of these for offroad and a tiny version for the road bike. Both smaller than expected but seem to hold a the same amount as the old topeak bar the lezyne pump
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/scicon-compact-430-saddle-bag/?sku=5360493387

Pleased, seems solid and well made, quick clip is much better than topeaks one. Not done a proper offroad yet…

Thanks for the tips on fixing, but sadly one was a quick clip and the velcro round the post went after the clip broke so destined for the bin

jamiec360
    Free Member

I’ve got the small Ortlieb one and its great. Mounts to a bracket on the seat rails, rolltop and elastic over two buttons on the side of the bag, small, waterproof, visible, adjustable volume and rattle free.

Because of the rail mounting need to ensure you have some rail free (e.g. won’t fit my synapse as saddle is p[retty far forward). It does mean however easy fitting with my Reverb on the Whyte.

They do bigger ones too up to about 0.5L I think.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New saddlebag time’ is closed to new replies.