Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New RP23 With Booster Valve Better Than DHX 5 Air
  • grantway
    Free Member

Hi is the New Fox RP23 Booster Valve better or has good as the Fox DHX 5
    I know the RP23 is half the weight and does work well on my Orange 5 AM

Just going through upgrade options, and is the DHX 5 worth the
    extra £ 110.00p
    Help please needed

thank you

steve_b77
    Free Member

I know on the new RP23 the boost valve comes pre-set. I had a DHX 5.0 Air on my Pitch and it was a brilliant shock, you can set the boost valve exactly as you like it, You can set the bottom out resistance and the pro pedal is really adjustable.

toons
    Free Member

I started with a DHX 5 Air(2007 model) on my 5 spot and ditched it for a RP23.

Not worth the money imo, save the dosh and when you get the rp23 serviced get it pushed.

DHX coil is bit overkill for the five.

fozzybear
    Free Member

Put it like this Gee is using it in the Worlds this week and says it's amazing how good the rp23 feels, improvement over the dhx5 air.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Ditto what Toons said. Started with a 2006 DHX Air on 5 Spot, stuck down, replaced with a Pushed 2008 RP23. Much better.

Edcase
    Free Member

I can tell you from personal experience the RP23 is an order of magnitude better than the DHX Air.

I swapped out my DHX air before the alps trip last month (ellsworth moment) and I just cannot believe the difference. I honestly cannot understand why the DHX is more expensive, when the performance of the RP23 is so noticeably better.

Climbing, descending, even just general bump compliance / damping etc.

will be getting mine push'd at first service but tbh I can't imagine how it could be much better.

Rickos
    Free Member

I've got an RP23 with Boost Valve on my Prophet and it's excellent. Can't see why you'd want the extra complexity of the DHX Air with all the potential for ballsing it up.

clubber
    Free Member

I didn't think that much of my dhx air 5. Too mushy in the mid stroke and the adjustments only ever helped temper that rather than ever getting it spot on. For dh only it was ok but as an all round riding shock it wasn't great.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

An elastomer shock would be an improvement on a DHX5 air.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Interesting, I recently put a DHX Air 5.0 on my Prophet, infinitely better than the Manitou Swinger 4-Way I had before. It feels great, the bottom out adjust lets me run loads of sag, but without blowing straight through the travel (can be an issue with Prophet's regressive stroke rate). It was pretty straight forward to set up I thought. If the new RP23 is another big step forward it must be truly awesome.

Edcase
    Free Member

I would go as far as to say it’s near perfection. I used all kinds of both air and coil shocks on a variety of bikes, from 4inch to 8.5inch travel, from the alps to leith hill, and it stands head and shoulders above everything else.

A perfect example of ‘keep it simple’ coupled with fantastic engineering and design. I often raise an eyebrow when I read magazine reviews that give anything ‘10/10’ but with both the RP23 and the latest 36 Float RLC’s it would be picky not to.

grantway
    Free Member

Great guys thanx for reply and saving £ 110 upgrade on the Alpine 160
    Much appreciated 😉

What does pushed mean and what benefits to the shock and when do you
    have this done IE a month or two after riding bike or straight away?

retro83
    Free Member

I didn't think that much of my dhx air 5. Too mushy in the mid stroke and the adjustments only ever helped temper that rather than ever getting it spot on. For dh only it was ok but as an all round riding shock it wasn't great.

Sounds like a high volume shock when you ought to have had the low vol one?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New RP23 With Booster Valve Better Than DHX 5 Air’ is closed to new replies.