Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New roof and facia boards – what to do about telephone wires?
  • dbcooper
    Free Member

The roofers start on monday but I got to thinking about the facia boards. There is a big bracket with some insulators and stuff attached to a cable which goes to the telephone pole. I dont even think we use it any more as we have stuff coming in from the ground too.

Do have to ask someone to come and sort it out?

footflaps

Just cut the wires and remove the bracket at night……

If someone turns up in a day or two, just deny all knowledge 🙂

dbcooper
    Free Member

I started this thread to prevent my OH from doing exactly that…
    He seems utterly unconcerned about it.

midlifecrashes

Just leave it to the roofers to sort, they do this sort of thing all the time.

edit: what could possibly go wrong?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/notmyjob

richc
    Free Member

I started this thread to prevent my OH from doing exactly that…
    He seems utterly unconcerned about it.

If they are still live he will get a mild shock/thump when touching it,hurts a bit less than the belt you get off the lighting circuit. Its low voltage but has a bit of current. Not enough to hurt you, unless you fall off the ladder.

If he does cut it off the house, you are going to end up with a live cable flopping around your garden though, unless he’s planning on going up the telegraph pole as well?

dbcooper
    Free Member

Don’t worry he won’t be doing anything..
    Isn’t there an official way of solving this?

richc
    Free Member

Roofing contractor will work around it, if you want it removed call BT or your phone provider and they should be able to log a call with OpenReach and get it removed if it isn’t used.

footflaps

Not enough to hurt you, unless you fall off the ladder.

That’s why all electricians use fibre glass ladders….

Although I find trainers are pretty good at isolating you from earth – done plenty of live work in a pair of running shoes on an aluminium ladder.

dbcooper
    Free Member

richc thanks, had not heard of openreach. Got in touch with them and they pointed me at this form on their website.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New roof and facia boards – what to do about telephone wires?’ is closed to new replies.