Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • New Romantics
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

After a guilty spotify session the other night, I was left in awe of the New Romantic movement of the early 80s.

No, I am not shitting you.

I now can't get "European Son" by Japan out of my bons.

Who do the other 40 something stw'rs rate?

philconsequence
    Free Member

WARNING: you are over 40, get off the internet, this is for young people only.

Jamie
    Free Member

WARNING: you are over 40, get off the internet, this is for young people only.

You must be new. STW is primarily made up of middle aged men who work in IT.

philconsequence
    Free Member

lol yeah i'm new, but that fact was painfully obvious on the first glance at the forum, a few weeks before i decided i needed a username and the ability to chip in with the odd comment 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Possibly some of the best posturing of the era!, not my favourite I was more a fan of Duran Duran. I saw this vid on TV a couple of weeks ago and it all came flooding back.
    No make-up for me though. 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

Just missed it really age wise, but does Adam and the Ants count? Still remember their first appearance on TOTP. I was more into the Cure and Cult, oh, and Howard Jones.

MrNutt
    Free Member
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I'm with you in spirit, though that new romantic stuff was arse. People like to trash 80's music because of the Stock Aitken Waterman Era and that was pretty crap, but let's not forget all the stuff in the early 80s, the New Wave post-punk, the reggae, especially the midlands scene, and the SKA / two tone, folks like the specials. Then there was the emergence of rap, and later acid house.

What have you done since huh?

oxnop
    Free Member

I'm 26 and I'm really liking love & pride by king. Is that a little 'new romanticy' I dunno?

donsimon
    Free Member

Forgot about Howard Jones- great hair, but not really New Romantic.
    Duran Duran

Rio

Japan.

Quiet life
    Visage.

Night train
    Ultravox.

Vienna

The Human League

don't you want me

And many, many more. 😆

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I too adore Japan…my 2 faves being "Ghosts" and their cover of "Second that emotion"!

donsimon
    Free Member

David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto- Forbidden Colours Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

I hated The Human League, especially the Dare era stuff. My sister was well into it 🙁

I just missed out on "proper" punk but got into The Clash, The Damned, Siouxsie & The Banshees after the fact. Adam & The Ants' Kings Of The Wild Frontier was, and still is, a fine album.

But then I started getting into Bauhaus, Killing Joke, The Southern Death Cult, Cocteau Twins, that kind of thing, around the time that New Romantic started to break.

And then The Sisters Of Mercy, Skeletal Family, Play Dead, Three Johns, The Meteors (briefly), XMal Deutschland, Fields Of The Nephilim, New Model Army. But never Alien Sex Fiend or Specimen for some reason

So no, definitely NOT a New Romantic 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

I'm under 40, and I like The Blue Nile.

There, I typed it. Phew.

Are they New Romantic? Right era I think.

bruneep

Ahh! **** great…… 😆

What about A Flock of Seagulls I ran

Kuco

Try Absolute80's on DAB as well as playing the main 80's hits can also play some classics 😀

Greif i'm a 40 year old fart 😐

Tinners

I hated it a the time but whenever I hear it now I get a warm glow because it reminds me of good times. Just like the smell of dandylion and burdock reminds me of childhood, the sounds of the 80s reminds me of my teenage times. Good times. Sean Kelly, Robert Millar, Reynolds 531, those funny ribbed black skull cap thingies that nobody wore and preceeded helmets and amberwall tyres.
    Reminds me of Billy Connolly's line about thinking that he's missing the good old days and the good times when what he really misses is his youth. +1 Billy!

MoreCashThanDash

I went through a New Romantic type phase – Ultravox and Visage made some great albums, and the early Duran Duran still sound very fresh when I hear it – as well as doing some slightly iffy videos and being very popular with the girls at the time!

Then I discovered Hair Metal and discovered "proper" rock chicks – funnily enough that also required hair spray and make up…..

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

After my punk then ska phase, I became i a metallist . Saxon, Quiet Riot, the ROds, Dio etc, so there was no way I could have admitted to liking any of that poncy stuff.

But my sister was into Human League, Heaven 17, Ultravox and my GF of the time was into Japan big time. I think I can now safely say that some of it was quite good.

scruzer
    Free Member

johndummer, i remember you responding to my post after the boy george drama re Kirk Brandon/Theatre of hate. Its all long gone for me but do have the odd flashback. Recently listening to the Sisters, (Jolene) gettting the fear and even watched my Play Dead – Into the Fire – video. They were the days!! I did research Salvation foums and Ghost Dance: Anne Marie has reformed with 2/3s of the Skeles!!

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

There appeared to be a new romantic revival going on when I went to a festival the other week, loads of kids c20 with the big quifs and thin ties

john_drummer
    Free Member

yeah, I knew about Anne Marie, Stan & Trotwood getting back together. Age hasn't improved her voice, sadly 😉

Vader
    Free Member

Ah, now then. ABC, Lexicon of Love. A thing of beauty as Mark Radcliffe said and I have to agree.

And what about Propaganda? Not sure if they are New Romantic or not but A Secret Wish is in my top 20 albums, well in. Duel, takes me back to school ski trips and my first gf at school.

One man on a lonely platform…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Anne-Marie lives in Harden (nr Bingley) now and has kids. I still see Stan around Bingley from time to time.

Anyway, hated New Romantics, with a passion. However, if forced, I could listen to Teardrop Explodes (Kilamanjaro?) and Heaven 17n's Facist Groove Thang was ok.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I know Harden quite well. Hate that climb up into St Ives – only ever cleaned it once, which for me is quite an achievement. I thought my lungs were coming out of my ears at the top though

TheSanityAssassin

New Romantics? Bunch of ar5e.
    I'm with John Drummer on this one, but with more Dead Kennedys.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I saw DKs at Leeds Uni in 1984, also Crass at:

and The Cramps at Leeds Uni.
    also saw a few Goth bands, I was a bit of a crossover Punk/Goth.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Luddite I have a connection to the DKs

john_drummer
    Free Member

I played HB Trades Club in 89(ish)

TiRed

Human League, Heaven 17, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet. Of course they define my teenage years. I still regularly listen to Dare, dreadful CD recording but great songs. Phil Oakley may only sing three notes, but far better than that recent dreadful effort by that wailing woman with the red hair. If you want more recent 80s styleee, try Alphabeat.

Of course this is also the era of The Specials, Madness, Joy Division, New Order…I'll get my anorak.

TheSanityAssassin

cynic-al – Member
    Luddite I have a connection to the DKs

I have a pic on my phone of me and East Bay Ray together. Is that better than your tenuous connection?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I got somewhat hooked on the music and the whole NR thing after reading Robert Elms's "The Way We Wore". Great stuff, the streets'd be so much prettier with them lots rather than the "half-an-ass-on-display" crowds of today.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a pic on my phone of me and East Bay Ray together. Is that better than your tenuous connection?

Why does it have to be a competition? How long is your knob?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I once drove Tony Hadley through a riot in Pristina, along with Jimmy Greeves, Tommy Docherty and 5 dancing girls.

What do I win?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nowt – you shared the driving with Jimmy Greeves, Tommy Docherty and the 5 dancing girls

tree-magnet
    Free Member

😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

snowslave

There is absolutely nothing positive to say about new romantics. You should all be ashamed of yourselves and seek help

ononeorange

Ah, Propaganda…..superb!

hels
    Free Member

Anybody mentioned The Ramones yet ?

And we invented t'internet sonny – it was the young persons and perverts who runied it, sending each other pictures of their bits and cheating on their spouses. And the "silver surfers" once they discovered Facebook, they can talk about the old days while wearing their slippers…

Oops….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘New Romantics’ is closed to new replies.