Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • new roady
  • mahalo

im sure this is not uncommon, the long time mountain bikers’s first foray into the roady world, well CX world really (it’ll be 90% road but with dirt tracks, parks, canal towpaths thrown in…) I was hoping a lot of stuff would just cross over but im beginning to realise it probably wont.

Im not ready for the all out lycra look but conceive my TLD baggies will look and feel a bit daft. Thinking some more fitted xc style clobber would be ok? I will also need some shoes & pedals, after a lifetime on shimano spd’s and chucky AM shoes im not sure what to look for? I have some M540’s knocking about i thought would be ok with a new pair of lighter shoes maybe? also i already have a handful of peaked mtb helmets, im guessing using one these would be frowned upon? what else do i need?? arm warmers? are they really a thing??

tthew

Apart from arm warmers, which are very useful things whatever bike you’re riding, just stick with what you like to wear and feel comfortable in.
    Anyone who frowns on the kit you are wearing has an opinion which isn’t worth listening to. And anyone who quotes ‘the rules’ at you gets a swift hoof to the slats.

buckster
    Free Member

As you spend more time sat down on a road bike, make sure you’re comfy, otherwise dont worry about life and enjoy riding your bike

lunge

To begin with you’re fine with what you’ve got.

Shoes and pedals, whilst road stuff works better for it’s purpose the difference in not huge so just buy some 540’s and a par of stiffer shoes.
    Shorts, sorry, but Lycra just works. You can fight it for a while but at some point you’ll come to accept that the reason people wear it is simply because it’s the best tool for the job.
    And second the comment on arm warmers, they’re awesome bits of kit. Knee warmers are also useful.

JEngledow
    Free Member

As others say, wear what you find comfortable. As I’m now riding far more road than mountainbike I find myself more and more comfortable in bib-shorts and full lycra – I’m still not sure how that happened 😳

DezB
    Free Member

My helmets have peaks, I wear a back pack, I am baggy of short. My pedals are spds.. I ride on the road and do not care if I am acceptable to the roadie contingent. Unless you’re joining a club where you may be sneered at, use what you got.

mahalo

haha, ok thanks! makes me feel better… still not sure ill ever evolve into full lycra tho…

mattbee

I find the constant flapping of baggy kit at road pace gets annoying so I wear Lycra. Find the peak on my mtb lid makes my neck ache as I need to crane my head further to see. I do spend a fair bit of time on the drops though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Buy some bib-shorts or roadie shorts. I wear these under my baggies for mtb anyway. If you find your shirt flogging too much in the wind you can buy something tighter.

JEngledow
    Free Member

still not sure ill ever evolve into full lycra tho…

Hahahaha, I used to say that too!

cp

still not sure ill ever evolve into full lycra tho…

It’s far far more comfortable on a road/cx bike than baggies. not having a waistband digging into your stomach is worth swapping to lycra for.

stick with your m540 pedals, but some lighter/less bulky shoes would be a nice have.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Wear whatever you like and don’t worry about what you perceive as “frowned upon” or not.

What you’ll [probably] come to realise is that baggy clothing is not very practical for long road rides at pace. Likewise, helmet peaks just stop you from seeing properly when you’re on the drops.

kerley
    Free Member

Im not ready for the all out lycra look

Not sure what there is to be ready for? Lycra makes much more sense when cycling as it just works so much better – people don’t wear it to look good (and if they are it is not working)

mahalo

i also wear bibs under baggies for mtb, they’re all a bit see-through tho!

jamiep
    Free Member

I have a ride on Strava titled “First ride in full lycra *shudder*”. Now look at me 18 months later, a proper Rapha tart.

As a minimum, get bibs (even if for under baggy shorts) as the different riding position will really appreciate them

DezB
    Free Member

Wear whatever you like and don’t worry about what you perceive as “frowned upon” or not.

Indeed – like baggy shorts.

helmet peaks just stop you from seeing properly when you’re on the drops
    Maybe on one of those weird new Fox dayglo things, but I’ve never had a peak get in the way any more than my eyebrows do.
    I seem to remember typing similar stuff about 5 years ago, so I’ll leave it there!

ferrals
    Free Member

To be honest, the lycra arguement also holds for mtb, i don’t know why more people don’t embrace it.

Most peaks are detachable, however a key thing for me is glasses that allow good vision in a head down position. I’m living with it at the moment but my current glasses are bloody annoying riding on road as the bar is exactly wear I want to look when head down in the drops.

mrblobby
    Free Member

A fair few on here have said the same about dispensing with their baggies, and most quickly come to realise they are just downright uncomfortable on a road bike. Was it Hora who stopped mid ride and ditched his baggies into a roadside bin?

As others have said, just wear what you’ve got, you’ll quickly figure out what works and what doesn’t. Road kit is mostly about comfort and efficiency, and most trail riding kit is neither of those things when used on the road.

To be honest, the lycra arguement also holds for mtb, i don’t know why more people don’t embrace it.

It is liberating!

bloody annoying riding on road as the bar is exactly wear I want to look when head down in the drops.

Probably not that big a deal until you’ve got a good aero position and ride a lot on the drops. The Oakley glasses with EV are really good. Loving my new EVZero’s 🙂

smokey_jo

Pair of theseover some decent lycra bibs …?
    I have a pair and they are slim fit on the thigh and don’t bunch or ride up or dig in at the waist.

Wouldn’t be without pockets in my jersey for a road ride – on an MTB I have a camelback so don’t miss them.

mahalo

linky no worky

tbh i just been browsing on-one / planet x site – those 3/4 bibs are much less offensive to my eyes than the short ones, maybe kick off with a pair of those… cheap as chips too!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just get a pair of these…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-bib-shorts-1/

For road it’s all about the pad and the Cytech ones are amongst the best. If you’re worried about showing a bit of knee then just get some lightweight knee warmers 😉

legend
    Free Member

ferrals – Member

Too many (potential) crashes per ride – I’d be butt-nekkid in no time!

Only slow people where baggies on the road – fact*

*maybe

mjsmke

I wear MTB gear with a slightly tighter fitting top on my road bike and not had a problem yet other than the peak getting in the way a bit. I over took a few roadies in full lycra on my last ride too doing about 20mph on a flat road. Hardly slow.

Wear whatever you are most comfortable in no matter how fast or slow you ride.

ferrals
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

Loving my new EVZero’s

Jealous! would love some of those, even on mtb the bar occasionally anyos me. I resort to pushing the glasss half way down my nose so I can see over the top, normally just as i ride at pace over a bit of horse sh!t 😥

mrblobby
    Free Member

Jealous! would love some of those, even on mtb the bar occasionally anyos me.

Really like mine. Inexplicably managed to lose my pair on holiday a couple of weeks back, despite only had them for about a month at the time 🙁 Just had to buy another pair as soon as I got back. Bit of a shame about the lack of swappable lenses but I got the Road Prizm which seems very good in most conditions.

Like for like, will be slower in baggies than in lycra, that is as close to a fact as it gets on here. Biggest enemy on the road is The Wind and anything you can do to cheat it is a good thing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘new roady’ is closed to new replies.