Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • new road wheels
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Currently using a set of Zondas and they are pretty much dead.

So thinking of replacements and i could replace like for like,

but got thinking as ii don’t race and the bike gets used all year round would i be better off spending less,

If i went with a set of Fulcrum 7 LG’s would i really notice a difference apart from the first ride where they weigh a bit more???

epicsteve
    Free Member

For a bit more you could go with Wiggle’s Cosine 32mm alloy wheels which are listed as 1485g, which is a fair bit lighter than the 7 LG’s 1750g.

Whether you’d tell a difference is a good question though. I do notice a bit of a difference between my lightest wheels (Dura-ace C24’s) and my normal wheels (RS81 C35’s) however I’m not convinced it actually makes any real difference in the speed I ride at, although the lighter wheels feel a bit livelier and it’s noticeably lighter when lifting the bike (the Dura-ace wheels also have a much lighter cassette fitted though).

jonba
    Free Member

Beaten to it. You probably wouldn’t after a few rides. But look a bit harder and it might be worth a punt on some different wheels.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-32mm-alloy-clincher-road-wheelset/

similar wheels available from CRC’s own brand Prime. Might work out cheaper if you get the 10% BC membership discount.

Then there is Superstarcomponents who I’m sure have a discount code out right now.

mrmo
    Free Member

i was only using as example, has to be campag 10spd though (i.e. i can’t use shimano 11spd cassettes but campag shift and mechs)

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member
    plus-one

Bought these few days ago 1490g and very very well put together ..

It was toss up between these and the cosine from wiggle.. Now I have them I’d have paid £199 they are lovely ..

Set up tubeless with schwalbe pro one 🙂

£139 after 30% discount that ends today !!

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/arc-cx-ray-probuild-volta-11speed-clearance-dealx.htm

chowsh
    Free Member

Just got the same wheels as +1 and they went up tubeless with the schwalbes no problem. 1/2 kg off the old Fulcrum quattros and I’ve had to redo the brakes as they’re noticeably wider.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The problem with cheap light wheels is they aren’t very stiff. If you ride all year round and want durability and something stiff, get some 32 spoke handbuilts and ignore the weight.

ibnchris

Thanks s has got me thinking I should upgrade my wheels. Can you put a 10spd cassette on the 11speed hubs?

simondbarnes

The problem with cheap light wheels is they aren’t very stiff. If you ride all year round and want durability and something stiff, get some 32 spoke handbuilts and ignore the weight.

Very much this.

Can you put a 10spd cassette on the 11speed hubs?

Yes, by using a 1.85mm spacer behind the cassette.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘new road wheels’ is closed to new replies.