Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New road tyre time
  • lunge

I’m after a new pair of tyres for my road bike to go on my “summer” wheels. As they are the best wheels I want something fast and light, puncture protection is not top of the list for this pair.

So far I have narrowed my choice down to:
    Veloflex Master
    Michelin pro 4 race service course
    Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Folding Tyre

Any particular reason I should go for one over the other? I’m inclined to go for the Veloflex due to the higher thread count and the pimp skin walls.

Oh, and please don’t suggest Conti GP4000s, tried them, didn’t like them at all.

aP
    Free Member

I’d suggest Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp Quattro tires instead.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I use vittoria open corsa cx with Michelin latex tubes on my Sunday best bike, lovely set up.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

If you want gumwalls then consider Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SCs, Veloflexes are very fragile from what I’ve heard.

DT78
    Free Member

not a massive road tyre expert but my gp4000s have been very good.

only gone with ultremo zx’s for a change and to try something different (plus they have a nice white stripe)

tinribz
    Free Member

Just did a c2c on a pair of Michelin pro 4 endurance, plenty fast enough & zero punctures, 225g.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Veloflexes are very fragile from what I’ve heard.

I have the 20mm version of the Masters on my TT bike. They are a great tyre, very grippy and roll really well but they are indeed very fragile. Maybe I’m just unlucky and the 23’s are better.

globalti
    Free Member

Ribble Cycles had Pro4s at £22.53 last week. Buy them and then upload a screenshot of the invoice to the Michelin tyres website and you might win a second pair for free.

I tried a pair of Pro3 Light tyres recently and they were superb, even better with Conti’s lightweight butyl inners.

dannybgoode

Veloflex are perhaps the absolute nicest rolling tyres I have ever had the pleasure to ride.

I have tried the 22 and 23’s and they both cut to shreds though.

Why didn’t you like the 4000s? I have the straight GP’s (still black chilli but no long number after the GP bit) in 24mm and I can’t see me riding anything else. Grippiest thing I’ve ever ridden.

Cheers

Danny B

aP
    Free Member

The Vittoria Open Corsa are very nice – I rode the Maratona with them and they were very fast and trippy. However, I’ve found them ‘interesting’ in wet conditions and sketchy in cold, damp weather.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got Ultremo ZX’s and conti supersonic tubes. Nice and light, survived the first hundred miles with no problems. Like you they were bought for Sunday club runs and nice days so I can’t comment on longjevity yet (and don’t really care).

Got them cheep (~£22?) from germany.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

The Vittoria Open Corsa are very nice – I rode the Maratona with them and they were very fast and trippy. However, I’ve found them ‘interesting’ in wet conditions and sketchy in cold, damp weather.

Far out dude.

But yes I agree they’re not the best in the wet but once you know their limits they’re okay.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted Pro Race 4 SCs in 25mm, to replace Pro Race 3s in 23mm. They feel noticeably smoother and more comfortable, without any apparent increase in rolling resistance.

lunge

Thanks for the advice all, I had a fear that the Veloflex would be very good but fragile. I’ll have a look at the Vittoria’s as well.

I used to like Ultremo’s but 3 pairs splitting on me (all replaced under warranty in fairness) have put me off them completely even though I loved how they rode. The GP4000s just didn’t work for me. They felt vague and I had no confidence in them at all, a shame as everyone else seems to really like them. The pair I had are now on my dads bike, who, like everyone bar me, loves them.

mashiehood
    Free Member

steer clear of the Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp – horrible tyre, could not find any grip and went back to the Pro 4’s.

colint
    Free Member

I’ve used Fortezza tricomp slick for 3 years. Never had a single puncture or any grip problems. Light, durable, grip in any condition. Constantly score well in reviews

TiRed

Tufo Elite Jet tubular clinchers. Well you did say for sunny Sunday best.

I’d personally go for Ultremo tubeless. I like the ZX’s and am looking forward to switching to tubeless.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Michelin pro4 don’t last 2 minutes, I’ve currently got vredsesien tricomp and I’m not particularly impressed.

I go either conti gp 400s or schwalbe ultremo

lunge

Trailmoggy, much as I appreciate your thoughts, please read my 2 posts first where I state that neither of those tyres are an option due to the reasons stated above. Thanks.

mrmo
    Free Member

never found a Conti tyre i like,

Have used Michelin Pro 3’s and Vredesteins and have had no issues with either. Will probably get some Pro4 SC’s if they are on offer when i bother to get some new tyres.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Every time I’ve tried michelins they get little cuts all over them in no time at all

stanfree
    Free Member

Conti grand Prix 24’s. Velo Ecosse had a good deal with added Conti giveaways.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New road tyre time’ is closed to new replies.