Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New road shoes. £100(ish) budget. Recommentdations?
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, I find – largely as the result of a house moving saga – I need some more road shoes. My existing ones are pretty well worn anyway, and so it’s no biggie to get another pair.

Current shoes are old specialized BG – seem to fit my weird feet quite well (wide front, thin heels).

Stick with Spesh or branch out somewhere else? Sidis/Mavics would be ace, but this isn’t a time of big spending….

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have spesh BG and SIDIs – for that money you’d be better off with some Spesh shoes as your unlikely to get stiff soled SIDI’s (a premium price I might add).

Maybe go for Spesh pro’s if you can find a good bargin?

£110 – small sizes – have a hunt around for some 09/10 ones going cheap?

ourmaninthenorth

cheers foxyrider.

Only trouble with buying mailorder is whether they size the same as the existing pair….

foxyrider
    Free Member

yeh true – they do seem to differ from year to year! However you can send them back if they dont fit?

ourmaninthenorth

they do seem to differ from year to year!

Right, trying on time..!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If you can find some then 2010 S Works. I have the 2011 ones and they’re ace.

I bought mine via mail order and the sizing is the same as my 2008 versions.

carlos
    Free Member

Shimano R087’s come in around the £60 – £80 mark depending on where from. Good size toe box and still snug round the back. All the spares are easily available

ourmaninthenorth

carlos – Shimano always used to need to be sized “up”. Still true?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Right, trying on time..!

I am basing this on my spesh MTB shoes – 07 -10 models were very different 😳

carlos
    Free Member

Oh yeah, go up a size

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve got some R190s which are a size up from my usual. They’re not a bad fit but could do with a shade more width up front for my plates…

ourmaninthenorth

OK. I’m now not far away from Merlin Cycles, and I know they have Shimano shoes. I’ll head over and try some on.

kilo

tbh I find with road shoes once you’ve decided on a budget ceiling the only important factor (unless you’re a triathlete) is fit, they’re all much of a muchness at this price. Try on as many as possible till you find one you’re happy with. I use gaernne but might not be about at this price level

RobHilton
    Free Member

I got some of these recently – weirdly the most comfy shoes I’ve ever worn (of any kind).

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-bg-expert-road-shoes-id39628.html

ourmaninthenorth

They (Spesh BG Expert) are very like my existing Spesh Carbon Comps. I’ll think on it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New road shoes. £100(ish) budget. Recommentdations?’ is closed to new replies.