Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • New Road Frame Wanted – Is Aero the way forward now??
  • Jase
    Free Member

Looking to replace my road frame/groupset and once I’ve swapped parts/sold existing kit etc can get a Scott Addict and Ultegra groupset at a cost of around £850.

However, although Planet X aren’t releasing pricing for a few days yet I’d imaging I’ll be able to get the new Aero N2a and a Ultegra groupset for similar money.

So whilst the Addict isn’t a ‘new’ frame it will be best part of half a pound lighter than the N2a.

But will the aero features of the N2a compensate for the extra weight compared to the Addict?

The thing I don’t get about these aero frames is that presumably you only get the benefits when riding solo or at the front of the group. So if you are going to race crits/ride in groups will the benefit be lost?

Any views on this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’d think there’d be some data somewhere. 1/2lb makes **** all difference to speed so the aero might edge it.

I’d consider the ride qualities also – one may suit you way better than the other.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

This is an interesting one and I think you suggested the problem already, horses for courses!! Within a group I doubt you are not going to be getting the full benifit of aero. If Circuit races are you’re thing I would go for stiff over aero unless you are super strong and go for solo wins?

Also noting that I seem to remember reading some where that these aero road bikes function very weel are very high speeds (pro speeds) but below these speeds the advantage is questionable because even when a manufacturer pushes the UCI regs the aero gaining techniques are restricted when compared to true wind cheating TT/Tri bikes…

wwaswas

be interesting other than being done on a ‘it looks right so it must be right’ basis how much actual science/testing goes into the tube shapes on the P-X (and other) frames.

schmiken

The general rule of thumb seems to be that aero trumps light weight til you hit 12%. Dunno how true it is, but I’d say go aero.

cynic-al
    Free Member

12% of… ❓

trail_rat
    Free Member

id focus on the point above about testing ….

was it designed by a man in a shed on an it looks right it must be right basis or was it designed by testing and wind tunnels and known aero profiles.

im sceptical of my PX stealths “aero” – the tyre being so close to the frame is not the most aero execution im sure ! but its 8lbs lighter than my road bike so it flys regardless of aeroness

schmiken

12% gradient. Or approx 1 in 8 in old money 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Wrong 12% is 1 in 8.3 so much steeper 🙄

Edric64
    Free Member

YOU CHANGED THAT YOU HAD 1 IN 12 JUST NOW

Ladders
    Free Member

I’d have thought if you were Thor Hushovd doing 50mile breakaways then an aero frame would be an advantage! If your sitting in the bunch most of the time then I don’t see the point!

May be worth it though if your are going to use it for TT’s as well though!

aracer
    Free Member

The general rule of thumb seems to be that aero trumps light weight til you hit 12%

Depends how much aero and how much weight – clearly adding 10kg weight for 1% aero advantage is unlikely to be an advantage on any sort of climb. In the case of a frame, I’d suggest that for the average rider the advantage of an aero frame is tiny (far less than 1%).

schmiken

At the end of the day, just buy the bike you like the look of best. Cav was kicking arse on an Addict a couple of years ago against Thor on an S3 so it doesn’t really matter!

Jase
    Free Member

Ok, so sounds like theres no clear cut advantage either way then.

Will wait to se more info about the N2a and then make a decision – prob as above on what one I like the look of!

wwaswas

Ok, so sounds like theres no clear cut advantage either way then.

would be relatively easy to test with a power meter and the two frames equiped the same.

you should see a need for less power to maintain the same speed on the same road in the same conditions. Doesn’t need wind tunnels really, just real world testing in a variety of conditions.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah for an amateur riding crits then stiffness and handling should be top of your list, aero might help occasionally but it would mostly come down to looks :p

aracer
    Free Member

would be relatively easy to test with a power meter and the two frames equiped the same.

you should see a need for less power to maintain the same speed on the same road in the same conditions. Doesn’t need wind tunnels really, just real world testing in a variety of conditions.

Except if the difference is so small it gets lost in the noise. For a start you’d need a totally wind free day, as a small change in wind would make a significant difference. You’d also have to ensure you were riding in the same position every time, as even a slight change is likely to make more difference to aero drag than a bike frame.

aracer
    Free Member

Repeat post – didn’t think the forum software even let you post another message 4 seconds later (but who knows what hidden “features” it has).

keavo
    Free Member

great handling and fit are most desirable. aero would only be of interest to me if u was racing time trails then i’d get a full on tt bike.

wwaswas

if the difference is so small it gets lost in the noise

Tbh, if the measurements are so similar that it’s impossible to tell if it’s some change in body position that’s responsible then it’s a distinction without any real difference?

mudsux
    Free Member

Tbh, if the measurements are so similar that it’s impossible to tell if it’s some change in body position that’s responsible then it’s a distinction without any real difference?

Clearly, there is a difference (The difference could be measured in a wind tunnel). And it is strongly suggested the difference is small. But scientifically proving it in a real world test would be very difficult because you are introducing too many variables to the test.

If aero is the new thing, like any roadie trend – it probably is the way to go.

andyfla
    Free Member

One small spanner is the fact that disc brakes will (probably) be in next year – so is it worth holding off for them ?

I am having the same dilemma at the moment, to wait or not ….

jameso

Cervelo make a very convincing argument about aero vs low weight, in favour of aero – they do plenty of testing and can go either way with better designs than most so I’m inclined to believe them. Basically above around average road speed of 17-18mph so much of your effort is in overcoming air resistance that you can save more energy by reducing drag (the bike is a large percentage of total frontal area /edit – total drag I should probably have said..) than you can by reducing weight (bike is a small part of total weight) – within the variations you’ll find in common frame constructions. I think it’s still on their site.

The TDF Alpe d’Huez mountain TT in 2007(?) saw riders adding mini aero bars – benefits felt to be worth the weight and they average something around 13mph up that?

All depends on how aero the bike actually is, some look very aero but may not have much less drag than a thin tubed steel frame, apparently. It’s easy for me to weigh a bike, but to test it’s drag? No chance. Handling and stiffness is more important to most of us and we can evaluate that by riding.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

so is it worth holding off for them ?

No, wouldnt of thought so, unless you really feel the need for more powerful brakes at the moment? I know I dont.

Aero frame might make you go faster, but you’ll need to be doing a fair speed to make any really difference. I’ve heard that deep section wheels only really help when you’re doing circa 25mph. Just find the sexiest frame you can and make sure it fits.

njee20
    Free Member

All depends on how aero the bike you actually is are

As aracer said you’re talking tiny advantages. Considering your average punter will stick 20mm of spacers under the stem and touch the drops twice a year when they can reach past their gut, you’ll get a bigger difference by bending your elbows a bit and reducing your frontal area!

compositepro
    Free Member

One small spanner is the fact that disc brakes will (probably) be in next year – so is it worth holding off for them ?

I am having the same dilemma at the moment, to wait or not ….

more like a stick in the spokes if some things are to be beleived

Road Bike Disc Brakes Are Coming, But Will They Work?

proves you cant fix stupid

andyfla
    Free Member

One thing I hadn’t considered is the whole brake fade issues,

Take it all back, buy an aero frame …..

wwaswas

the whole brake fade issues

The bloke in the article admits it was his own fault for choosing the equipement poorly and then compounding it by having no idea how to use it.

finbar
    Free Member

Wow. That bikerumor article really is stupid (plus some of the comments).

carbon337
    Free Member

Intereesting to start hearing more about this N2A in the next few weeks – it looks nice and is priced well so thats 2 of the 3 points I need ticked. Performance in terms of stiffness is the other point.

jameso

njee – well yeah, a tuck will help more of course and the variables in a bike frame design aren’t huge, but the OP was talking about bike weight vs drag and that’s something that people have spent time working on.
    Body position aero benefit’s a whole other topic.. don’t ask me )

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Cervelo make a very convincing argument about aero vs low weight, in favour of aero

Nah, pro bikes are easily below the UCI weight limit so there is no point making them any lighter. So you may as well use a little bit of your spare weight you’re going to have to put back onto the frame to make it aero – rims, etc.

Jase
    Free Member

Not influenced by the disc brake rumours as i’d imagine it will be a few years before they reach a level I can afford!

cynic-al
    Free Member

**** me that journo beggars belief, how on earth do these people find work.

cp

If you can I’d try a test ride on then both and go with the one.you can get to fit best…

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst I agree the BR article is pretty daft, it highlights a good point – had he had rim brakes he’d have been fine. Nodders will buy discs en mass probably, and if that’s as genuine a risk as it appears it could be pretty unpleasant.

It’s all very well scoffing and saying “we know how to brake”, but plenty of people (I know I’ve done it) will drag the brakes.

brant
    Free Member

Intereesting to start hearing more about this N2A in the next few weeks – it looks nice and is priced well so thats 2 of the 3 points I need ticked. Performance in terms of stiffness is the other point.

Fingers have been pointed at the “not very skinny” down tube. Which is because we didn’t want a wimpy flexy aero frame, but one that tracked and handle, darted, punched in and out of bunches, and corners…

So it’s more a crossover pro road/aero frame, than complete aero model.

jameso

breatheeasy, it’s true about the UCI weight limit makes adding aero sections sensible, the study was using bikes you can buy in shops and simply looked at % gains by saving a bit of drag vs saving a bit of weight, in terms of ‘why would I buy a Soloist when the R3 is lighter and I’m not a time-trialler’.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I can’t answer your question, but I would be very wary of claims made by manufacturers which are supposedly scientific. It’s like the whole “our new component is 20% stiffer than our old component” rubbish. I saw an ad from speedplay claiming their pedals were 33 seconds an hour faster than anyone else’s due to their aerodynamics. Really? I mean REALLY???

My feeling is a bike which is comfortable and feels good will be faster just because you like riding it more, unless you are in the pro peloton in which case you ride what you are told to!

compositepro
    Free Member

create a new genre or Hype sells pick one

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘New Road Frame Wanted – Is Aero the way forward now??’ is closed to new replies.