Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New road frame quest…
  • meandyuk

I’ve got a trek 1400 aluminium framed road bike and I’d like to get a carbon frame with the a similar geometry.
    It might be a long shot, but is someone more knowledgeable in geometries able to look at my current bike and recommend a similar more modern frame?

Trek 1400, 2005 model is a 56cm. 73.0 head, 73.8 seat
    More detailed geometry here:

Any help appreciated!
    Andy

mrblobby
    Free Member

What do you mean by similar geometries? Similar handling or something with a similar fit?

lazybike
    Free Member

If you mean fit, something with a stack/reach of 575/385 will be close. If you mean handling/feel there’s just no way of knowing untill you ride it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    meandyuk

both fit+handling really, but I guess the handling is what I like about it currently, it feels snappy….

lazybike
    Free Member

Those ally canyon slx look nice..

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Are current Trek bikes not similar?

I normally compare angles, top tube and head tube lemgths and that’s generally worked for me. Never really taken the time to compare reach and stack.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Speak to hora.

TiRed

A 73 degree head angle is very standard for a road bike. The seat tube angle is a little steeper, but saddle position on the rails can compensate for a degree either way (0.8 cm fore and aft). Handling is affected by many things; one of the most important being weight over the front wheel. This is determined by reach (distance from BB to head tube). A shorter reach and longer stem will put more weight over the front wheel, and feel more secure. A longer reach and shorter stem will feel less planted because your weight may be up to 2cm further back – despite having exactly the same relative position with regards to saddle, pedals and bars.

Based on your current bike, which I assume fits, and may have a 100-110 stem, I’d infer you were approximately 179cm with average proportions, you can go down a size to a virtual top tube of 54.5, and add a longer stem, or pick the same again. I have bikes with 72.5 and 73 degree head tube angles. There isn’t much in it to be honest. I do however prefer a slightly smaller frame and longer stem because I think the handling is better.

oliverracing

Speak to hora.

That’s no way to speak to your customer… oh 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

<snip… what TiRed said.>

Also FWIW I’ve got a similar geo old Trek 1200 (58cm) that I use as a training bike, though set up with a long low stem and quite a bit of post showing. Other than it being a bit harsh I quite like it and put in a lot of winter miles on it. Race bike is a TCR Advanced (M/L) which I love. Just such a good bike. If you’re looking for something like that then may be worth a try just on the basis that both do me fine.

TiRed

And I’d second trying out a Medium Giant TCR. 73 degrees parallel and 55.5 cm top tube. Cracking all round bike. Or a Propel if you fancy something aero, same geometry but different tube profiles.

meandyuk

I’ve been looking at the tcr and have been offered a 2013 tcr advanced sl (red+black+white) frame & fork for £1000. I would obviously go try the bike out first but do you think this a good deal? and has the frame changed much from 2013 to 2015, other than the colour scheme? It is the non-ISP version.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New road frame quest…’ is closed to new replies.