Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New road (/dark side) wheel ideas / moon on a stick?
  • Leigh2612
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I’m looking for inspiration for a new road wheelset as it is not going to be worthwhile repairing my Planet X model Bs. Currently running the PX front and stock Alex junk wheel rear.
    Ideally, I would like something tubeless compatible, light, and cheap (and reliable…!) would be handy too!!
    Is there anything better than fulcrum racing 3s for around £320?
    Or anything in the ballpark at all?
    Thanks!

richpips
    Free Member

Tubeless on the road why, and I’m running tubeless rims?

Leigh2612
    Free Member

On an MTB I presume? Same advantages, less rotational weight, lighter, no pinch punctures, lower pressures, more grip…. Etc

dobo
    Free Member

and a massive pain in the arse if you get a flat

but check out some ultegra 6700 wheels if tubeless is your thing, think eastons were tubeless ready too?

jonba
    Free Member

Neither pinch or thorns are much concern on the road so tubeless is a FAFF and limits tyre choices.

However, there are some ultega tubeless wheels or if you get hand built there is now the a23 tubeless rim. Personally I’d go to some rs80s and ignore the tubeless bit.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve pinch puntuctured on my road bike, front wheel large pothole at around 40mph….

Dunno about tubeless but massively rate my prolite braccianos. Cheap, light and after pothole incident definitely strong.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I had considered the bracciano a previously before I wanted to try tubeless, they do look very good for the money!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

really happy with my Camapg Zondas for £300 from wiggle. 1550gs and strong enought to cope with my 82kgs and some poor road surfaces. I was very tentative given the G3 spoke pattern but they seem to be fine…

Handbuilts using ultegra hubs and dtswiss 545 rims are worth a look as the rims have a bit of aero-ness to them and the build weight probably wont be much more than 1750gs

American Classic Victory 30s are £350, are <1600gs and people with them seem very happy.

Fulcrum 3s are a common choice but you wont be disappointed.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Pablo- thanks for the input!

b45her
    Free Member

second for the ultega 6700, superb wheels.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New road (/dark side) wheel ideas / moon on a stick?’ is closed to new replies.