Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New road bike on C2W?
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

My road bike is an old (possibly 80s) Look KG231
    I’ve had it about 5 years having bought it on ebay.

I generally spend more time on mountain bikes but recently have been on the road more and I am experiencing severe pain at the top of my back between my shoulders. Since I don’t get this walking, sleeping, sitting or riding my other bikes I assume this is to do with the bike being a bad fit. What can I do to fix this I ask myself.

My employer has a Cycle to Work scheme (through Halfords so it’s a bit limiting) but would I get a better, and better fitting, bike if I bought a new one and what’s my old Look worth on the second hand market?

The new bike I’m considering is the Boardman Team Carbon here The C2W scheme saves me about 42%

Spec of my Look
    Composite carbon frame
    Dura Ace crankset 53/39 (the 39t is Shimano 105)
    Ultegra 8sp rear derailieur
    Shimano 105 shifters on down tube
    Shimano 600 brakes
    Spider carbon fork
    Ambrosio Wheels
    Weight 8kg
    pic here

scotroutes

Remember that many smaller shops will take the Halfords vouchers so you don’t need to feel so constrained – not that there’s seriously amiss with that Boardman. I also reckon you might get better sizing advice (and even a test ride) if you approach a small shop – especially important if you’re already experiencing some pain.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Any other thoughts?

Scapegoat

^^Wot ‘e said.

My LBS deals with Halfords C2W, stocking Cube, Merida, Genesis.

I am on my second C2W Cube Peloton Race, £999 for decent alloy frame, 105 groupset throughout, and Mavic Aksium/Aksion wheel and tyre combo.

Ring the Halfords C2W helpline and ask them for a list of independent LBS participants near you.

thehustler
    Free Member

Also remember the 42% only applies if you are a higher rate tax payer, and the bike isn’t yours unless you pay a fee at the end

monkeyboyjc

I got my Dolan L’Etape through the halfords C2W scheme….. you can spec the stem length, crank length, saddle, groupset etc. It may be abetter option tgan getting a standard of the peg boardman.

You can get loads of different bikes on it – pretty much name a manufacturer and they can sort it for you.
    Best advice would be either get a bike fit service and/or try before you buy.

scruff9252

I also got the Dolan l’etape through halfords scheme. Replaced the stick wheels with some carbon 38mm’s and it’s utterly awsome. So awsome in fact, that after his mornings 50km ride, I’m sure I could win the Tour de France* as a solo entry on it.

When ordering I was able to spec the size of all key components too which meant the fit is near on perfect for me.

*may contain hyperbole.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New road bike on C2W?’ is closed to new replies.