Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New Road bike … Decisions Decisions
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

I’m torn between the two!

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT6800/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-6800-road-bike

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ULT6800/planet-x-rt-58-ultegra-6800-11-road-bike

with similar spec on both I guess its down to frame style……. I just can’t make my mind up! Any real world advice from STW forumites???

jonba
    Free Member

RT58 looks nice and has internal cables which will make you 0.891% faster.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Test ride them, then see which you prefer.

Oh, wait a mo…….

Basically, “spec” isn’t everything.

Cougar

Probably better off asking on the bike forum. Let Me Move That For You.

YoGrant
    Free Member
    paulmgreen
    Free Member

hhhmmm… yes that is indeed a good potential choice too! hhhmmm My mtb is a Giant…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Internal cable routing sucks the boabie.

edhornby

forget about the groupset, the best frame, then the best wheels and then gears are a bonus when all else is equal

I would get the SRAM rival at 999 and spend the difference on pimping the wheels and ask for a less extreme cassette

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Do we think the Giant frame is better than Planet X ?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Have a look at Canyon bikes. You can get the Ultimate CF SL with 105 for under £1400. It’s a lower group set but a much better frame that will stand you better in the long run. Complete bike will be lighter to.

hora
    Free Member

My Pro x is nervous/fidgertty on descents. A comment I’ve seen elsewhere too. Plus Paulscycles delivers within two days. Planetx say 21 but mine took a month.

joeegg
    Free Member

You can get some deals on Scott CR1’s.I think the Pro and Elite can be had for around £1400 to £1600.Pretty light for the money.

scandal42
    Free Member

Some people,

Nothing wrong with PX, if you live anywhere near one of the shops get over there and check the bike out. I did and it was a good experience.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at Canyon bikes. You can get the Ultimate CF SL with 105 for under £1400

+1

It might be the outgoing 105, but it’s still a great groupset and the frame looks top notch.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Test ride them, then see which you prefer.

This. If you can’t then look for something you can. If you don’t want to do that then you may as well toss a coin and pick one, or go for the cheapest, or go for the one in the colour you like best!

What are you riding at the moment? How have you narrowed it down to those two?

Edit… if it’s your first road bike then unless you have loads of spare cash just buy something cheap that roughly fits. As you ride it more you’ll learn to know what you like and don’t like. You’ll probably change most of the contact points as your position develops (saddle, stem, bars, etc.) and having ridden it for a while you’ll then have a much better idea of what you like when it comes to buying a new bike and you can then sell the old bike on or keep it as a winter trainer.

hora
    Free Member

Although I like my Pro X- with hindsight I wish I’d gone for a Supersix etc. Previously I had tested a few and again with hindsight they ride abit better- stable/etc. In a few months I’ll probably frame-swap – keep all the good bits/wheels and put a decent secondhand frame/fork in.

Superficial
    Free Member

Front end on Pro Carbon is v flexy. Probably fine if you’re a light rider but it was enough to put me off. The rt58 looks nice though. I’d go for that Giant (although the TCR is pretty racy geometry).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

wish I’d gone for a Supersix

I dunno what it is, but even my old CAAD4 feel’s good, and when I’ve test ridden bikes 10 years younger they’ve had flaws, except newer Cannondales. Either I’m just too used to the way they ride. For me road bike buying will end up being a question of “well, is it actualy any better than a Cannondale SuperSix?” It’s just there, doing it’s job and doesn’t seem to have any flaws (except on paper where you’d say it’s spec wasn’t great and the frames a bit portly).

robw1
    Free Member

I am looking at this at the moment and have been into Planet X a couple of times to try the RT58 and the 57. Never do they seem to have in stock the sizes / models I want to try in fully built bikes. As I am between two sizes they may have one size but not the other so actually trying them as the STW massive (rightly) suggest, is not always possible. Plus they always seem pretty disinterested in actually giving anyone much time….and in the end just say ‘you’ll be fine on either size’ when what I think I need to do is actually ride the bike in both sizes to get a feel for it! Moan over.

have also been looking at Pauls cycles at the Giant TCR but was concerned that the wheels might not be great. They also do Dales….but again within the £1000-£1400 price bracket the wheels dont look too clever. Have been recommended Scott CR1s by a few folks but always seem to miss out on the deals when they are getting sold off.

hora
    Free Member

Even half decent wheels are circa £200? Takes minutes to swap round too.

My bike is harder to sort than simply wheels.

On the Pro X – I dont find the front end flexy (and I’m heavy/have good arm power)- but I do find the frame in general stiffer on the rear than I expected it to be.

mrblobby
    Free Member

except on paper where you’d say it’s spec wasn’t great and the frames a bit portly

This is where most bike buying decisions seem to be made these days 🙄

My bike is harder to sort than simply wheels.

I get the impression that is usually the case 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘New Road bike … Decisions Decisions’ is closed to new replies.