Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New road bike B2W – help me choose
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Got bike to work and looking at a new bike.

Looking at the below but concerned regarding the discs and 9mm qr as read it can cause issues.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-zener-al-d1-105-2017-road-bike-1/

Also like this but not sure buying a caliper bike is a wise choice at this point?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wilier-gtr-105-2017-road-bike/?referid=affwin&utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www.bikebargains.co.uk&utm_term=158016&utm_content=0

Any thoughts or alternatives appreciated

stevious

9mm with discs is fine in my experience – very very occasionally get a bit of judder under heavy braking.

As for disc/rim brake – I’d say it depends on what weathers you’ll ride in. If you’re going to ride in the wet & ming then think about discs but if it’s a summer-only bike (or you want to race it) then rim brakes will be fine.

belugabob
    Free Member

Not sure what you’ve read about discs ? 9mm qr, but I’ve had no issues with mine.

I would say that the winter resistant properties of discs would outweigh any concerns that 9mm might raise.

P.S. Have you considered mudguard compatibility?

rOcKeTdOg

Why buy it from wiggle, most schemes arent tied to one source. Go to a participating shop & get some advice/test ride

scandal42
    Free Member

I’ll be going to the local bike shop tomorrow.

It makes sense however to see what is available online to benchmark.

I like the look of that Eastway though, seems like a good mix of components for the money.

Truth be told it will be used as a best road bike as I already have a custom charge plug steel that I could then free up for commuting duties.

Would buying a caliper equipped road bike be comparable to buying at 26er brand new a few years ago? I would imagine not as I can’t see components becoming scarce anytime soon.

northernremedy

Got an Orange RX9S on mine. Had to pay a touch over to bridge the gap but very happy. Can do some gravel etc in the summer, it’s now fully mudguarded up and doing a sterling job. Just need to put some smaller tyres on. The 38mm’s come up big and they feel pretty draggy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New road bike B2W – help me choose’ is closed to new replies.