• This topic has 45 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by womp.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • New road bike
  • womp
    Free Member

Ok iv been slowly turning to the dark side, with road rides becoming ever more frequent so I’m finally going to come out out the closet and stop riding my Triban with mtb helmet shorts and camel back. But before I don my full Lycra I need a new bike 🙂

I’m looking around the 3k mark but can be persuaded to spend more for the right bike

I’d prefer shimano, but apart from that I’m not sure

This is what’s taken my fancy so far

Felt AR3 Di2 £2700 Link

Canyon ultimate CF SLX 9.0 £2900 Link

stufive
    Free Member

Scott foil all the way wish i could upgrade my cr1 foil 30 in your price range here http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/Scott_Foil.html
    with cosmic carbon sl’s
    Want one!

tarquin
    Free Member

Felt looks fantastic if its your size.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gaffney
    Free Member

If I had that amount of money to spend on a road bike I think I’d get a Trek Domane. If it’s good enough for Cancellara..

chakaping
    Free Member

Monster Energy green would be tempting, but I’d be getting the Canyon I reckon.

I like the spec better and its quoted weight appears to be 1.4kg lighter.

In fact it’s in my size, so you better not dilly-dally.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I thought I preferred Shimano too but now I have a bike with Campag Athena and one with Sram Apex and they’re all good , just different.

shermer75
    Free Member

If I had 3k I’d definitely be looking at something Italian. Wilier or Colnago probably…

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

If I had 3 grand, i’d avoid the big names and get something great with better value, such as a Dolan Aries with Di2 and nice wheels.I am so pleased with my Dolan Hercules and is very quick and only half of what the OP has to throw into a bike too.

oldgit
    Free Member

Buy the best framed/wheeled up bike you can at the expense of candy. So the pictures you post of it wont look so wow, but you’d not regret it when you’re astride it.

TiRed

3K is a lot for a first road bike, as you probably aren’t really sure what you want/need. As oldgit says, don’t be swayed by fancy groupsets and bling. It’s a good budget, but isn’t enough for pro-level frame AND groupsets. I had your budget, but am more experience of road bikes (I have an alloy Giant TCR). So I went for a Giant Defy SL2 with Ultegra (not Di2). The frame is Giant’s lightest and is wonderful. Very slightly higher front end (so fewer/no spacers) and good enough for second in Paris-Roubaix. At your price point, Ultegra is excellent too. Di2 is nice, but heavier, and offers marginal benefits.

Other top quality frames, such as BMC’s and Trek’s are available. And these will always be a step up from a nice frame with higher level components.

Get something UCI approved 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

something to think about, what do you want the bike for?

sunday best? racing? sportives?

might colour your choice that is all. whether it will get thrashed for an hour or two, or you want it comfy all day.

If you haven’t spent much time i would suggest buying a bike that you can sit on before you spend, £3k is alot of money to get wrong.

If it was my money, i like the look of the stoemper taylor build it up with handbuilt wheels, and a reasonable groupset, but i just want something i like, not necessarily the highest performance.

TiRed

Absolueltely agree, if nothing else it will help to get sizing right. And most road bikes have low front ends. But the “comfort” end is probably more suited to most riders. My TCR has 2cm of spacers and the “comfort” defy has none. Handling wise, there is nothing in it. I can race or ride a sportive on either. What will you use it for most?

nickc

Carbon frame, full ultegra at the very minimum, as lightweight/stiff wheels as you can afford. Whatever finishing kit takes your fancy

Spec your own at Ribble? (some of their carbon frames are the same as DeRosa’s)

womp
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys

I will be using the bike for recreational rides, we generally do between 30 and 50 mile but it always ends up a race and strava bragging times are a must so I’m definitely looking for fast/light before comfort or brand names

Those Dolan look very interesting (I’ve not looked at ribble yet) and I’ve also looked at rose

Reading the comments I’m edging towards ultegra mech (though I’d love di2 I’m now not sure it’s worth the weight penalty and extra cost that could be spent elsewhere?) carbon frame, light wheels and finishing kit, I’m happy with a 2012 to keep the cost down

The search continues……

oldgit
    Free Member

In that case womp, get whatever bike you think you’ll have fun on. I’d not worry about the weight of the di2, certainly don’t let yourself regret not buying it.

I have a selection of great bikes, but I don’t like any of them. Function over form and all that.
    If I didn’t have any racing or club commitments it would be a SRAM equiped Mercian with handbuilts. I just imagine it to be a joy to own, look at and ride.

mrmo
    Free Member

one other thing that occurs to me, if this is going to be your only road bike, i would suggest keeping a few quid back and buying some cheap wheels. Light wheels, carbon rims etc and bad winter roads aren’t the best mix.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Anyone with £3k+ to spend on a bike really should know what they want, else they probably should just spend £600 on one at Halfords.

simondbarnes

Anyone with £3k+ to spend on a bike really should know what they want, else they probably should just spend £600 on one at Halfords.

What a ridiculous comment

njee20
    Free Member

Agreed. Just smacks of jealousy. If he’s got the money why not!

I’d agree with those saying buy the best frame and wheels, the rest can be changed pretty easily.

In terms of VFM those linked to are superb, Cube are great too. But I’d be trying a few to establish if you want/are comfy on a racey frame, or whether you want more ‘sportive’ type geometry – Defy etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO steve whyte does little but troll like that
    That said 3 k for a road bike for 30-50 miles rides is a lot to spend

IMHO one bike wont do as most serious roadies have a summer and a winter one and most folk would be reluctant to ride a 3 k bike in winter conditions
    Personally i would get something cheaper or even second hand to see if you really like road riding then spunk as much cash as you want once you can make a more informed decision

if you must best frame and wheels you can afford.

fasthaggis

If the guy wants to spend that money good luck to him,but buying something that fits him is more important than bling. Just changed my road frame for a spurofthemomentCRCpurchase and my only worry was that it would not feel as good as my old Giant.Had a good long ride on it today and so far so good.I am not an off the peg size,so it’s always a bit of a faff getting the right feel.

muddodger
    Free Member

I had that sort of money to waste spend last year, I went for the bike I most like the look of and then made few changes.
    I got a wilier Gran Turismo in Carbon finish, then added Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels and black bars, stem and seat post.
    I love it, it rides well and is way faster than I will ever be!

IanW
    Free Member

Like above read all the specs etc then go and buy something in a nice colour.

cheers_drive

Speaking from experience of when I got my first road bike I echo the thoughts of others in saying that it’s a lot to spend on your first road bike.
    If I was you I’d spend £1k ish on a bike like the Ribble sporting racing 365 or a similar bike that can take full guards. That way you can have a year or so of riding before deciding yourself what you really want and then demote the Ribble to winter duties. If not you stand a very good chance of buying the wrong bike for you and losing a fortune having to sell it on.

TiRed

Well after weighing all my options, when I was buying, the green frame hilights did it for me 😉 . At your budget, there are no bad bikes, but I think those of us with experience are saying get the one that might suit your needs best. For me it was a Giant (team are sponsored by them). But the basic premise is that you’ll find a superb frame and Ultegra or decent Campag and Sram. And you’ll love it – whatever you get.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

When I do a mass participation roadie thing like a sportive, the bikes I see that give me the most severe pangs of bike envy are Enigmas. Just lovely looking bikes. If I had three grand to chuck at a new road bike I think I’d go for one of those. Or a Trek Domane. Or a Wilier from a bit further up the range than mine. Or, or, or….

Good luck with that, OP.

ashfanman
    Free Member

You could get a Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 for £3,000:

11-speed Campag Chorus, Cosmic Carbone SLEs, 7.2kg.

Or just get the CF 8.0 (same frame but Ultegra and Ksyrium Elites, still only 7.25kg) for £2,200 and either pocket the rest or put it towards shoes, shorts, etc.

They have a test event tomorrow in Kingston Upon Thames, if you’re local…

womp
    Free Member

Cheers again guys, iv still not made a decision but I’m getting their, looks like I have a long week of googling and bike shop trips

Excellent idea getting a winter wheelset never thought of that, although I do have the mountain bike or Triban to fall back on 

Must admit those enigmas look do look cool and the canyon Aeroad is certainly an option just a shame Udi2 is only on the lower spec models

Also I do take on board spending 3k (or less if I can) on a road bike is a big commitment but it’s not my first bike and certainly wont be my most expensive,  it’s just that I want to take road cycling a little more serious having rode my Triban for the past 2 years with lads that have have slowly progressed to better machines, I just want to level the playing field a little 🙂 , having rode a couple of decent canyons and a Trek I totally appreciate how much faster (as verified by strava) a good bike is.

Ps swaying back to UDI2 because I’m a sucker for gadgets

ashfanman
    Free Member

The canyon Aeroad is certainly an option just a shame Udi2 is only on the lower spec models.

Canyon’s even-lighter Ultimate CF SLX has a Ultegra Di2-equipped model at £2,900:

Still has Ksyrium Elites, too. Barely 7kg. 😯

Link.

womp
    Free Member

Looks like the canyon is the bench mark at the moment 

What do you think of this in comparison ?

Cannondale super 6 di2 £2400 Link

ashfanman
    Free Member

Cannondale super 6 di2 £2400

If you happen to be a 54 or 56 (the only sizes Paul’s has left in stock), you’d probably struggle to do much better than that for the price…

smell_it
    Free Member

For 30-50 mile rides, imo you are not really going to be on it long enough to get really uncomfortable. So harsh, soft, racey or sporting geo frames wouldn’t worry me that much, just make sure it’s a good fit, i doubt any 3k bike will be a howler. Given this i would say buy whichever you most like the look of and one which has as much shiny stuff to make you really happy. It ain’t for us tosspots to judge how you spend your money, go for the one that gives you the biggest grin and enjoy it!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

As someone mentioned above at £3k there are no bad bikes. Main thing is to get one that fits you and that you like the ride of. Unless you get lucky buying on line the only way to do this is to go somewhere that does a proper bike fit and proper test rides. Worth it especially for the amount of money you are spending. No idea where you are based but Epic Cycles are one shop I know and trust to do this properly and I have travelled over 90 miles to buy from them.

For something that is a little bit different that you won’t be paying over the odds for the brand name may I suggest Kuota

BTW I have no affiliation with Epic other than being a satisfied customer

mikey74
    Free Member

I have a Kuota, the Kharma Race, and it is an excellent bike. The ride superb: Stiff when it needs to be and comfortable for long rides.

I bought it from Primera, in Bournemouth, who were pretty good.

eyerideit
    Free Member

3K budget? Only do 40-60 mies.

Go see Brian Rouke and get thee a made to measure piece of steel loveliness. Won’t b much heavier than the bikes you’ve linked to so you can beat your mates and have a something unique.

BTW I’m not knocking any of the bikes above as I’d love a carbon race bike, I’m just adding another option.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for Epic, bought a £1K C2W bike from them a while ago and despite already making the sale over the phone they spent over an hour enthusing all things road and doing a bike set-up/fit when I popped in unanounced mid motorbike ride. Stunning shop and really nice guys.

A colleague drove a 200 mile round trip to spend £6K with em.

Be careful, road riding can be addictive. Been an mtber for 20 years, got my first road bike 18 months ago, recently bought a new carbon/ultegra PAJ and have ridden that more than all my mtbs and my R1 combined…. and high end road bikes make MTBing look cheap!

hitman
    Free Member

Don’t think you’ve said what your size is, but there’s some nice bikes on ebay at the moment. How about a Specialized S works SL4? I currently ride one and love it. There’s one on ebay at the moment in 56cm, which looks nice (no it’s not mine!). You might also be able to pick up some good deals on old stock when the season is over.

womp
    Free Member

I Certainly have no issues with a second hand bike from eBay, I’ll be going to the bike shops this week to get a better idea of individual brand sizing but the canyon I rode was a 54 and felt fine, my triban is a 53 but a kona I rode today was a 56 (very short TT) , I’m 5″7 & 72kg

The supersix di2 is the new benchmark ,at £2400 it’s well under budget, reviews are good, and I’m struggling to find any negatives or anything with better VFM, the only thing I can’t find is the weight, it’s available in a 54 so I’ll try to track one down to sit on this week

Right it’s bike ride time 🙂 this may be my last proper ride on the triban 🙁

turtleheading
    Free Member

HELLOO!!

Planet X N2A

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I have the first Cannondale carbon 6. Bought for £1700 4 years ago now and it has been superb.
    Only upgrade has been the wheels to Fulcram 3s.
    Also ride 4-5000 mile a year on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘New road bike’ is closed to new replies.