Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • New road bicycle (frame) thread – Piemonster requests assistance
  • piemonster

So, I’m in need of a fairly quick decision for replacing my road bike frame (the old one is getting a repair bodge and heading for turbo mule duties) (never been that attached to it tbh)

I’ve got up to £1k for a frame, maybe £1.3k for a full bike option. From which I could swap my current parts onto, then use the spares as the basis for the turbo mule or perhaps even a winter hack.

The bike can be either fairly sporty, or fairly sportivey. Most rides are going to be your 39m hilly brisk commutes and longer weekend day rides.

2014 Genesis Equilibrium ti frame for a £1000
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/revie…m-ti-road-bike

Also from Genesis but more racey
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/race/zero-1

Canyon have a couple of ‘in stock’ options

https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3589 Racey

Canyon again

https://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3693 Sportivey

And Planet X have frames starting from £254 (15% off)

Although I don’t think I can hack blue, so probably £340

I quite like the look of some of the steel option http://www.enigmabikes.com/collectio…ant=1144373831

Ooh hello http://www.paulmilnescycles.com/gene…ork-2275-p.asp

The last two would leave room for some reasonable wheels to be purchased. My current set aren’t the greatest on windy days.

Does anybody have any suggestions, advice?

Generally unhelpful abuse is more than welcome!

piemonster

Too small or too big I think.

I need to rebook at sizing but I think I’m in the 56-58 bracket

piemonster

Lovely tho!

munkster
    Free Member

Gentlemen ride titanium 😉

Although the pic isn’t a Cooper…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Bowman Palace?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

piemonster – Member
    Too small or too big I think.

I need to rebook at sizing but I think I’m in the 56-58 bracket

That’s the spirit. From what I’ve seen; most who buy the Ritchey tend to be wooed by the looks and end up buying a bike that doesnt fit them properly.

Lovely frames, but they look shit with 90mm stems and 30mm of stem stackers.

The standard equilibrium is a good frame.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Canyon CF SL or Genesis Zero for me, but I love the feel of nice quality carbon.

Though I might be tempted if there were any of those half price Genesis Volare framesets still kicking about.

monkeychild
    Free Member

That Planet x London road looks alright.

TiRed

For steel, I don’t think you can beat the Genesis. Titanium is nice, but only about a pound lighter than steel with the same riding characteristics.

So I’d recommend 853 with lighter wheels over a Ti frame.

I prefer carbon, personally and have owned Ti, carbon, alloy and ride steel almost every day.

EDIT: just seen the 953 for £1250. If it fits, blow the budget on that. Steel frame which out performs titanium. A 953 frame for that money is a bargain. And the colour is better than the 853.

sandwicheater

Piemonster requests assistance

Looks up for large pie signal in the night sky.

If your not going to use the system, why did I install a large pie light? Is disappointed.

Oh, erm, a red one, definitely a red one, or maybe green, yes a green bike.

cookeaa

So you want a carbon frame/fork and you’ll need parts to build the old frame up for the turbo, TBH buying a complete bike specced with tiagra Makes the most sense to me, you’ll eliminate the small headaches over things like seatpost and clamp sizing or different BB standards and all your required donor parts come with your new frame.

In the grand STW tradition In shall recommend something like what I own, Merida, a quick googling yields:

£850 so “under budget”

Just inside budget

just over budget

I’d describe my scultura as “sportivey” comfy enough for distance not too weighty, nice enough handling I squeezed 25mm tyres and crud guards on for winter, reckon it could take 28mm sans guards if needed.

Other bicycle manufacturers are available…

piemonster

Well, it doesn’t have to be carbon.

One if the advantages of Genesis is I already know I’m a 56cm from my Day One.

And I know it rides bloody lovely, by far the comfiest bike I’ve owned.

I’m very tempted by a Volare 853 with Enve fork that are kicking about in Flea bay.

*the trigger finger is itchy*

piemonster

Oh, I can get a full 105 (less BB) in exchange for a bottle of Port. Which would reduce the hassle somewhat of kitting out the second bike.

Although It’d still be a hassle with extra costs floating about.

The Ti option, is very, very tempting. But at those prices I’m heading into a price range that could buy custom frames.

piemonster

Sorry 🙁

piemonster

Dare I ask what folks opinions are on press fit BBs

oldgit
    Free Member

Very happy with my Genesis 853. Its a pleasure to own and look at. And can still hold its own when racing, even after years of racing a TCR SL Advanced.

peteimpreza

Look at full bike prices also, they generally offer much better value.

piemonster
    boblo
    Free Member

There you go; Westbrook’s latest Scott cr1 offer. Loverly carbon and £500 left over to spend on a new Ultegra groupset or wheels or whores or whatever…

laaaverly carbon

Bregante

Good shout boblo

stevious

I’d probably write canyon off the list if you’re going frame only – the frames are great but only really good value as part of a complete bike.

piemonster

There you go; Westbrook’s latest Scott cr1 offer. Loverly carbon and £500 left over to spend on a new Ultegra groupset or wheels or whores or whatever…

laaaverly carbon

I think I just did a sex wee

piemonster

I’m struggling to think of a good reason not to buy that

piemonster

I ‘think’ that my front mech and seat post will fit that too….

bearnecessities

boblo
    Free Member

Crack on then and we want to see it built by next weekend 🙂

Brazed on and 31.6mm for reference.

piemonster

So, I think that means everything can just be swapped straight from one to the other except the BB.

piemonster

Looks at patio, decides to take photos of new bike build from work.

Online reviews seem to suggest a racy sportive bike, which is perfect.

boblo
    Free Member

10% finders fee? 😀

If you’re using Hollowtech cranks (24mm), the installed BB will be fine. If you’re using something else, ask Westbrook’s to sort it before they post. They’re usually pretty good like that.

Bregante
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks good. Wondering why they are knocking them out so cheaply?

Something by Condor maybe? For the frame budget the Squadra looks a good bet.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Scott is pretty sharp-handling for a sportive bike, if that helps.

Really liked riding mine. Only sold it because my 25mm tyre rubbed on the stays a bit.

boblo
    Free Member

They’re a clearing house for Scott excess stock. I had an SL from them last year and a friend had an Addict recently. A*.

piemonster

Now that is lovely. Too late though, that Scott (appears) to be bang on the money though. So fingers crossed the delivery box won’t need using for returns.

Tuesday 😀

alansd1980

I am hovering over the checkout button for the cr1.

Recently bought a lynskey cx for commuting and general foul weather riding but the idea of taking some off piste routes is not happening so I am just riding a heavy road bike. Don’t know how I can get this past er indoors though!

Got an addict in the sale from them a couple if years back and it’s amazing so imagine the cr1 will be similarly good.

piemonster

Im wondering how much time I can spend this afternoon staring at a cardboard box that just arrived in the office? 😀

piemonster

And cheers for the heads up Boblo 8)

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t forget, 10% finders fee. PayPal gift, address in profile 🙂

Pics please. Chop chop. (not of the box silly)

<edit> Staring at a box in the office. Shouldn’t that be in the workplace arousal thread? 😀

boblo
    Free Member

Well you’ve had it long enough to take a photo….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘New road bicycle (frame) thread – Piemonster requests assistance’ is closed to new replies.