Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New rings, chain and cassette – any reason NOT to go for Deore?
  • RustySpanner

Time to replace the drivetrain yet again and I’m not forking out for XT at today’s prices.

Any practical reason to go for SLX over Deore?
    It’s twice the price and apart from weight are there really any practical advantages?

Can’t see SLX being any longer lasting, if anything I’d assume the cheaper stuff will be harder wearing.

Current 9 speed XT shifters, mechs and SLX brakes are fine, so don’t really need a full groupset.

BB is knackered yet again though, this one after 250 very muddy miles 🙁
    And no, it’s never seen a jetwash.

Ta in advance.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

shop at rose bikes?

Harry_the_Spider

Nope. I use Deore mechs because the pain isn’t too great when they get broken off.

Superficial
    Free Member

Agreed with the above. I usually stockpile drivetrain whenever anything comes up super cheap as happens from time to time. Planet X have had some good deals on SRAM stuff.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/cassettes_and_cogs

mboy
    Free Member

I’m often surprised just how quickly some people manage to wear stuff out, but then I guess it can depend on where you ride and how often. 250 miles is very low though, that said probably longer than a Superstar BB I had though…

Anyway… Deore vs the rest. Well, SLX/XT middle chainrings should last longer these days as they’re carbon reinforced, but otherwise you’re usually just paying for lower weight rather than durability.

Don’t run a Deore or lower cassette on an alloy freehub though, they need a spidered cassette otherwise it will eat into the freehub. And from personal experience, cheap SRAM chains never seem to last half as long as more expensive ones, so can be a false economy.

RustySpanner

Don’t run a Deore or lower cassette on an alloy freehub though, they need a spidered cassette otherwise it will eat into the freehub.

Bugger, it’s a Hope Pro2 hub.

Think SLX is has an alloy carrier though, so should be OK?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

SLX has an alloy carrier for a few of the top sprockets, XT has an extra one or two more on the alloy carrier.

I’ve always gone for XT to absolutely minimise any gouging to an alloy freehub.

mboy
    Free Member

SLX is fine on alloy freehubs in my experience.

More importantly, you got any idea why you’re wearing stuff out so rapidly? You might be as well to fix whatever is causing the problem whilst you’re at it…

woody2000
    terrahawk
    Free Member

you could splash out on a steel freehub for the Hope hub (they do them now). Then you can use any old shite with it 😉
    Deore rings used to last ages cos they were steel. I assume they still are.

curvature
    Free Member

Look after stuff anyone?

tomaso
    Free Member

Deore middle ring is steel

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Compromise…

SLX cassette (if alloy free hub) and Deore Chainrings, and a SRAM/KMC Chain

RustySpanner

curvature – Member

Look after stuff anyone?

Eh?

terrahawk
    Free Member

I think he means ‘soft pedal all the time and your bike will last FOREVER’.

I think.

RustySpanner

Ah, ok.

I might try carrying it over any wet bits in future, that’d save loads of money.

My average speed would probably go up as well. 😀

Neil-F
    Free Member

Deore chainsets are good value for their quality IMO.
    Superstar BB’s are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Mugboo

I always use deore chainrings and rear mechs seem too vulnerable to spend loads on.

I do like Redwin Red cassettes though 🙂

djen83
    Free Member
    nsaints
    Free Member

Enduro bearing’s are rubbish in HT2 IMHO…have tried two set’s, both failed in very short time
    But thas my experience 😕

Pieface

my winter bike is deore throughout. shifting is not as crisp as the xt set up on my nice bike but its good all the same

boblo
    Free Member

Yep, get a steel Hope freehub and then buy any cheap and cheerfull cassette to go with steel Deore rings.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New rings, chain and cassette – any reason NOT to go for Deore?’ is closed to new replies.