Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Rims Flow Mk3 or Spank Oozy 345?
  • 21dwb
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped my Mk1 Stanton Switchback for the Mk2 version which now opens up the possibilities for running 27.5+ tyres. At present I have the Nukeoroof Generator Am rims on Hope 2s which apart from the colour (yellow that I’m now regretting) and the fact I can’t go plus size have performed admirably.

I now find myself in the position where I want a black rim that can run both my current tyres (magic mary & rock razor) but also be able to run a plus size tyre in the future.

The two choices I have narrowed it down to are as the title suggest the Stans Flow Mk3 & the Spank Oozy 345. Does anybody have any feedback of these two rims? Finding much real world info on the Spank rim is proving quite difficult.

I am open to other suggestions as well.

Ta muchly.

RicB

I rebuilt a pro2 Arch EX with a Flow mk3 and I’m impressed.

Very easy to build up and gives more grip in the corners. I did think it’d possibly be Emperors new clothes but I can feel a difference.

Tyre (Maxxis shorty) is plumper but but as huge as I thought it might look.

I also looked at Spanks but have had good experience with Stans rims in the past, and could reuse spokes so it was an easy decision for me

I’ve done a few uplift days and it’s still perfectly true

hatter

30 mm is the goldilocks width so if weight is important I’d recommend the DT XM 481’so and if you’re a bit of a kit destroyer go for the EX 511’s.

They’re the same shape but with a bit more material round the bead to resist rock strikes.

21dwb
    Free Member

Cheers for the responses, I did look at the DT Swiss options but i need to be able to get them from CRC as I’m banking on a refund for a Reverb and they don’t seem to have many options for DT Swiss rims.

I’m not wasting my time on another reverb as I’ve had two fail in very short time, the second one without going for an actual ride. So plan is to try the Brand X Ascend and the rest of the money go towards new rims. Myself I’m leaning to the Oozy 345 just to be a little different. There weight looks good and I’ve only heard good things about they’re strength. Plus I like how they look.

poah
    Free Member

depends on how hard you are on the bike. I’ve got the 295 rim and its held up well to my abuse but remember its only a trail rim and not as tough as the flow or ex511.

lawman91

I’d go for the Flows, just built up a set of Pro4’s with Arch Mk3’s and Sapim Dlight spokes, look great, are pretty light (1735g) and feel great on the trail.

leegee

I have the Spank 345’s, weighed on a decent scale at work they were 498 and 499 without rim strip, I cant remember the weight of the front but the rear with a Novotec 882 and sapim lasers was 973.

They look good and feel very stiff, they are the tightest rims I have had to put tyres onto though.

CRC tend to sell out of the black very quickly.

21dwb
    Free Member

Poah:- I know the flow are 40g lighter each wheel, but didn’t realise they’d be much stronger than the Oozy.

Lawnman91:- Thats a promising build weight, Flows would probably still come in under 1900g.

Maybe being different isn’t the way to go and to play safe with the Flows.

mikedabear
    Free Member

I have Oozy 295’s. I love them. They are around a year old now and look as good as new. They are anodized red and after a wash look great there isn’t even a scratch in the anodizing. The bead bite system works as I was inadvertently running my rear at around 15 psi for a bit with no problems. Can make it a hassle to get tyres off though.

21dwb
    Free Member

leegee:- Thanks for the response on the side of the Spank. Those weights are lighter than the Spank web page quotes for their own rim which is good to know.

How long have you been running them and how are are they holding up? I’m not too hard on rims or maybe I’ve just been quite lucky thus far, but I have just gone from full sus back to hardtail as my only bike so am slightly wary. I do prefer the look of the Spank though.

leegee

Front about 2 months, rear only 2 rides so far, no issues
    I mainly ride local singletrack in Kent and Surrey hills so no rocky stuff.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Got the 295s too. Great wheels but the sealing on the freehub is awful on mine and need cleaning and lubricating every 3 months. Don’t know if it’s faulty or just a bad one. Rims are great though. Few dings but straight as and pretty stiff on a Trance. I’d imagine the 345s would be great. Stick a 2.6 Tyre up front be a huge contact area. Bead bite is great and run some accidentally low pressure both ends and they’ve not burped. Both wheel bearings have not been touched in over a year and they spin great.

21dwb
    Free Member

cheers gents, I’m starting lean back towards the Spank. It’s just the rims I’m after and they’ll be built onto hope hubs which are hardly used so should get a few years use at least.

If I can get a 2.8 tyre through my pikes I’ll be rolling on them eventually I hope.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New Rims Flow Mk3 or Spank Oozy 345?’ is closed to new replies.